JW's Manual Seems...More Reasonable on Chastity

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
justpassingthrough

JW's Manual Seems...More Reasonable on Chastity

Post by justpassingthrough » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:27 pm

This is one of those "I'm not sure where to share this, so I guess I'll go to NOM" posts. I browse MormonLeaks every few months and learned they now released documents from other religions as well. They recently released the handbook used by JW leaders. I didn't spend much time looking at it (and there is definitely some screwed up stuff re: shunning and interactions with non-JWs) but I looked at what they taught on sexual immorality and they're much more permissive (i.e. not as repressive) than the Church. Masturbation is expressly ok'd (as is coppin a feel). They also say that if a couple getting close to marriage dry humps a couple times there's nothing to worry about. Like, my goodness, it's a very conservative set of rules for sex and it's still better than ours in some respects.

I always thought JWs and Scientology was insane. It's always eye opening when I see my benchmark for insane seems more reasonable than my church.

Link if you're interested: https://truthandtransparency.org/news/2 ... op-leaders

BriansThoughtMirror

Re: JW's Manual Seems...More Reasonable on Chastity

Post by BriansThoughtMirror » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:28 pm

Thanks for posting this! I've spent a lot of time learning about Jehovah's Witnesses, mostly because it was interesting to analyze a similar (in many ways, at least) religion without being personally involved. It helped me see I wasn't going crazy.

That policy is really interesting! I bet we'd have a lot fewer mental problems within the Mormon ranks if the church had a similar policy. I look forward to perusing that handbook- it's been talked about a lot within JW forums in the past.
Reflections From Brian's Brain
https://briansthoughtmirror.wordpress.com/

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:22 pm

justpassingthrough wrote:Masturbation is expressly ok'd (as is coppin a feel). They also say that if a couple getting close to marriage dry humps a couple times there's nothing to worry about.
Wow, that is surprising to me.

Although I would guess most Mormons with temple marriages did most if not all of the above without too much trouble from the Bishop. (I know I did. Of course I didn’t mention most of it to him).
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:34 pm

Is it OK to dry hump after you're married?
~2bizE

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:47 pm

2bizE wrote:Is it OK to dry hump after you're married?
If you feel bad enough that you have to ask, then you shouldn’t do it.
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:53 pm

How does this square with Pillowgate?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qirjv48C55M
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:47 am

I think few organizations have weaponized sex to their advantage more than the church.

Of course I am just as opposed the the Hollywood version of sexual relations.

Somewhere in the middle seems rational.
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison