Genealogy fun

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
alas

Genealogy fun

Post by alas » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:32 pm

So, I have a picture of a bunch of guys in prison stripes and one of the prisoners is my great whatever grandfather A. Great Grandpa A was in prison for polygamy.

Only problem was, I wasn’t sure which of the men was great Grandpa. Old picture, it was with my parent’s stuff when Mom died, and not having really looked at the picture or talked about it in thirty years, I was not really sure which of the men was my great grandfather.

I had a pretty good idea that it was “him” or “him”. Two of the men had kind of a family resemblance, and I had a very vague memory of them being pointed out. So, I suggested to DH that we could look it up on the church’s genealogy web site.

He found the picture pretty quickly, and about dropped his iPad when he read the caption, because it named *HIS* great grandfather B as the man in the dark suit, sitting in the center front. So, I touch on the one guy I think might be my GGF, and sure enough, he is the guy sitting right next to my husband’s great grandfather. How’s that? Our great grandfather’s were in prison together.

It also named the guy who I thought was a general authority as George Q Cannon. But, see GQC is the same guy my grandmother had a huge portrait of. I have no clue why. I don’t think I am related at all, but my grandmother owned a huge portrait of George Q Cannon.

Then my husband reads the name of the ship that my GGF came over on, and he can’t believe it. His great grandmother was in the same ship, and they were in the same handcart company. Well, not too much surprise that the people on the church commissioned (owned?) ship would be in the same handcart company. I think my grandfather’s journal mentioned how the same group that had left England together had been in the handcart company together.

Hagoth

Re: Genealogy fun

Post by Hagoth » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:21 am

That's fascinating, Alas.
How’s that? Our great grandfather’s were in prison together.
Maybe there's more to polygamy that we know; maybe all of the guys in that photo were married to each other. Betcha never thought of that!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."