Did not watch one second of conference. Did not miss it.

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Gatorbait

Did not watch one second of conference. Did not miss it.

Post by Gatorbait » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:04 am

Before my shelf came crashing down about five or six years ago, I used to enjoy parts of conference. Yeah, I know, good time for a nap, pumpernickel choir singing while the camera is zooming in on the three choir members who aren't "white and de-lightsome", same ol' growls and gnashing of teeth from Packer, ear-wiggling from Monson, Oaks- never knew which one you'd get- nice one or the gay basher, Holland and his jowls flying around, wondering if he was going to knock someone out with them. And of course, Dieter Uchtdorf who we all loved- and still do. The only one we felt really "got it". You could be Christlike even if you didn't believe in Christ and you'd be better for it. Kindness. Peace. Love. Acceptance. Great way to be. Great way to live.

Nowadays, I don't even bother with it. Upsetting? No, not really- I just don't care any more. Same stuff- different day. Had enough- and stopped caring.

Don't know about you, but the longer I've stopped caring about it- pushing back- the happier I've become. Conference used to be a way to re-vamp, but since I've walked away from it, I've found that it is just not very important to me. I will still get on line and listen to the one Uchtdorf talk, but that's it. Always like that guy. Always be grateful to him for putting up with all the nonsense and not letting them grind him down. Great guy.

Time is indeed the great healer. Time away from the church- whatever they call it- has been a good thing for me. I don't miss it. I really don't. Any thoughts?
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

Red Ryder

Re: Did not watch one second of conference. Did not miss it.

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:00 pm

I agree

I missed 99% of it this round and am extremely jovial today.

Even reading through the threads here and on Reddit, I've scanned them and said... Meh.

As Corsair once said, indifference is the goal.

Then find new hobbies and fun things to learn and do.

Let the Mormons Morm while you live life to the fullest!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:44 pm

I only heard a few minutes worth of the drivel from another room.

I was successful in suppressing the gag reflex. :?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Linked

Post by Linked » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:43 pm

DW had it on some, so I got to hear a couple of the talks demeaning those who stop believing. Those made me mad. There were a couple really decent talks too, but certainly not worth the price of admission. I would be a million miles away if it didn't cost so much.

I'm glad you have been able to distance yourself OP!
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:40 pm

Me, neither. For several sessions in a row. It's the best. I just read about the crazy/interesting/whatever stuff on the internets later.

I still remember the last time I did watch conference before my shelf crashed down, and I heard the speaker giving life advice. I literally thought to myself, this is the last thing I would want my kids to do when they grow up. It was definitely an interesting moment.

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:36 am

I watched most of the 4 main sessions. TBM DH barely watched one - and slept through most of that.

I remember saying last conference that was it, never again! Maybe I was seduced by the rumors. Is that the Q12’s plan....increase attendance through rumors they have no intention of fulfilling??

My goal is to not watch at all in October. And like RR said when quoting Corsair-aim for indifference!

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:28 am

I missed 99.5% of conference and am annoyed at the 3 minutes I did watch. I had to pick up my kids from my TBM parents house and my dad was watching conference.

Kinda surreal to watch a old man sitting in a recliner in a shirt and tie on a Saturday afternoon, staring at the TV, raising his hand roboticly as they do the sustainings.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:40 am

I watched quite a bit. It seemed pretty bland....milk toast. I think it's the monotonous, monotone, fake gravitas that all of the speakers have mastered in their delivery that works like chloroform. I get the feeling they've been c.g.i.ed.

"Automatons" springs to mind. Oh for the days of Legrand Richards!

Can Uchtdorf go even one talk without mentioning an airplane!?!? PLEASE.....

Eyring did give me a reason to smile in the priesthood session though.

He gathered all the threatening sternness he could muster to warn those who "speak ill of the Lord's anointed" of the heavy judgement that awaits them. I know I was terrified.

When leadership mentions it in conference you know it's becoming a problem. I think we're gettin' to 'em! Poor boys can dish it out but they can't take it. :)
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington