Book of Mormon describes Church of the Devil as Current COB

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
General Nuisance

Book of Mormon describes Church of the Devil as Current COB

Post by General Nuisance » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:55 pm

Has anyone else found the church's description in their own book under church of the devil, namely 2Np28 and mormon 8? DW read these and said, "Thats us!" She's been out ever since.

Batman

Re: Book of Mormon describes Church of the Devil as Current COB

Post by Batman » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:36 pm

I hate to leave you hanging here without any comments. I agree with you. One of my biggest problems before my shelf completely shattered was that the current church was not being run as if Jesus was making decisions. Of course, it is now painfully obvious to me that this is the case. Here is a small excerpt from Mormon 8 that hits awfully close to the mark for me:

37 For behold, ye do love money, and your substance, and your fine apparel, and the adorning of your churches, more than ye love the poor and the needy, the sick and the afflicted. 38 O ye pollutions, ye hypocrites, ye teachers, who sell yourselves for that which will canker, why have ye polluted the holy church of God? Why are ye ashamed to take upon you the name of Christ? Why do ye not think that greater is the value of an endless happiness than that misery which never dies—because of the praise of the world? 39 Why do ye adorn yourselves with that which hath no life, and yet suffer the hungry, and the needy, and the naked, and the sick and the afflicted to pass by you, and notice them not? 40 Yea, why do ye build up your secret abominations to get gain, and cause that widows should mourn before the Lord, and also orphans to mourn before the Lord, and also the blood of their fathers and their husbands to cry unto the Lord from the ground, for vengeance upon your heads?

I believe that the temple has become an idol in the current church. One of my family members works for the church and I have heard stories about the extravagance and waste that goes on when temples are built.

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:54 pm

Batman wrote:I hate to leave you hanging here without any comments. I agree with you. One of my biggest problems before my shelf completely shattered was that the current church was not being run as if Jesus was making decisions. Of course, it is now painfully obvious to me that this is the case. Here is a small excerpt from Mormon 8 that hits awfully close to the mark for me:

37 For behold, ye do love money, and your substance, and your fine apparel, and the adorning of your churches, more than ye love the poor and the needy, the sick and the afflicted. 38 O ye pollutions, ye hypocrites, ye teachers, who sell yourselves for that which will canker, why have ye polluted the holy church of God? Why are ye ashamed to take upon you the name of Christ? Why do ye not think that greater is the value of an endless happiness than that misery which never dies—because of the praise of the world? 39 Why do ye adorn yourselves with that which hath no life, and yet suffer the hungry, and the needy, and the naked, and the sick and the afflicted to pass by you, and notice them not? 40 Yea, why do ye build up your secret abominations to get gain, and cause that widows should mourn before the Lord, and also orphans to mourn before the Lord, and also the blood of their fathers and their husbands to cry unto the Lord from the ground, for vengeance upon your heads?

I believe that the temple has become an idol in the current church. One of my family members works for the church and I have heard stories about the extravagance and waste that goes on when temples are built.
That's a powerful condemnation. Somebody needs to post it at the entrance to the City Creek Mall.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:01 pm

I have also noticed a striking similarity with the Zoramites, at least when the get up on the rameumptum and thank God for making them superior to everyone else: "thanking their God that they were chosen of him, and that he did not lead them away after the tradition of their brethren."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:07 pm

Isn't it great how perfectly the BoM condemns the Mormon Church?
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

General Nuisance

Post by General Nuisance » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:28 pm

D. Oaks bragged that the church doesn't help the poor, because they build temples. Condemnation from their own book, which obviously they don't read...

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:21 pm

Well of course God's church looks like Satan's church. Satan doesn't have any original ideas, he just steals ideas from god and changes the. Satan's plan is a bastardized version of God's. It doesn't matter that the BoM indicates the TSCC looks like the church of the Devil, that's how you know the devil has got you - calling good evil and evil good.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.