Elder Neil L. Andersen: "We are not a rich people"

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Mormon 8

Elder Neil L. Andersen: "We are not a rich people"

Post by Mormon 8 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:46 pm

https://www.mormonnewsroom.co.zw/articl ... es-support
Vice President Mohadi had made a specific request for support with the development of clean-water wells in more remote areas of Zimbabwe.

“We want to help in every way we can,” said Elder Andersen. “We are not a wealthy people but we are good people, and we share what we have,” he added.
I guess having $32 billion in the U.S. stock market isn't being rich. Or building multi-billion dollar malls and million dollar condos. Or owning 3% of the landmass of Florida. How do you say this stuff with a straight face??? LMAO!

no1saint

Re: Elder Neil L. Andersen: "We are not a rich people"

Post by no1saint » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:17 pm

They lie about most things, this is easy.

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:28 pm

A billion dollars does not go as far as it use to.
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:19 pm

Oh, I think elder Anderson was being quite honest. If you average out the income of all the members of the church, we're probably not a wealthy people. A very wealthy church, yes, but not a wealthy people overall.

And you can bet that the church isn't going to pay for those clean, fresh water wells that are needed. No sir.
The church is just going to funnel the members money to wherever it needs to go. They'll probably ask for a special donation to help cover the cost. But the church most definitely won't be dipping into their own pockets to make improvements in someone else's country.

That's your job as a charitable Christian... :|
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

sunstoned

Post by sunstoned » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:12 pm

Mormon 8 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:46 pm
https://www.mormonnewsroom.co.zw/articl ... es-support
Vice President Mohadi had made a specific request for support with the development of clean-water wells in more remote areas of Zimbabwe.

“We want to help in every way we can,” said Elder Andersen. “We are not a wealthy people but we are good people, and we share what we have,” he added.
I guess having $32 billion in the U.S. stock market isn't being rich. Or building multi-billion dollar malls and million dollar condos. Or owning 3% of the landmass of Florida. How do you say this stuff with a straight face??? LMAO!
This is really shameful. I wonder how many of the Q15 sleep at night.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:49 pm

I think he is referring to the people in general and not the corporation sole RMN.
~2bizE

Mormon 8

Post by Mormon 8 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:11 am

2bizE wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:49 pm
I think he is referring to the people in general and not the corporation sole RMN.
It's still a very misleading, deceptive and disingenuous comment. It's almost along the same lines as saying that no tithing funds were used in the City Creek project. :lol:

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:54 am

Palerider wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:19 pm
They'll probably ask for a special donation to help cover the cost. But the church most definitely won't be dipping into their own pockets to make improvements in someone else's country.
Which still doesn't mean anything. The special fund for the Tsunami victims went directly into the general fund (at least in England where they had to report it).
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:13 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:54 am
Palerider wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:19 pm
They'll probably ask for a special donation to help cover the cost. But the church most definitely won't be dipping into their own pockets to make improvements in someone else's country.
Which still doesn't mean anything. The special fund for the Tsunami victims went directly into the general fund (at least in England where they had to report it).
Yep. That fine print on the donation slips says they can use your donation for whatever purpose they want. As soon as it's donated, it's their money. So if they decide they have enough to do whatever makes them look good, they can use any overruns to redecorate or build a new real estate development in Florida. I am SO glad I don't give to these guys anymore...so glad. :|
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:06 pm

Next time when confronted with a similar question, Elder Anderson could be prepared with this response:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=RBHZFYpQ6nc
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Meilingkie

Post by Meilingkie » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:54 am

sunstoned wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:12 pm
This is really shameful. I wonder how many of the Q15 sleep at night.
They don’t only sleep at night. They sleep while walking, eating, living. Never thinking, never doubting.
"Getting the Mormon out of the Church is easier than getting the Mormon out of the Ex-Mormon"

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:55 am

So I heard that in African countries they try not to give the impression of wealth so members aren't kidnapped and held for ransom. That is why the African temples aren't as ornate as other temples. Maybe Anderson was just playing towards that?

But it's a lie either way.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:52 am

I love how they don't bother to name anyone in the picture captions except Anderson and the Vice Pres. The article says Anderson's wife Kathy was with him and so were Elder Joseph W. Sitati, 1st Counselor in the Africa Southeast Area Presidency, and his wife Sister Gladys Sitati. But they fail to name them in any of the picture captions.

Really stellar journalism Church Newsroom :roll:
NeilsNotRichY'all.png
I think Sister Sitati's face says it all.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound