Have you had this experience? Care to share?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Re: Have you had this experience? Care to share?

Post by Hagoth » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:54 am

Lucidity wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:08 am
wtfluff wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:45 pm
Why is it that it seems only an extremely tiny subset of humanity gets to experience such things?
Is it an extremely tiny subset though? It seems to be pretty common for people to at least think they’ve had an experience like this.
Since so many people report experiences like this, I think it's safe to narrow the possibilities to two:

1) Human consciousness extends beyond the tissue contained inside the skull, via subatomic fields, quantum weirdness, whatever.

2) The brain is so highly evolved to seek patterns and explanations, and to impose order onto our existence, that it frames and reframes experience in a way that may seem miraculous. It singles out and reinterprets marked examples from the general unmarked chaos of human experience.

Neither of these is necessarily a metaphysical explanation, and neither can be easily demonstrated by experimentation.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:03 pm

Lucidity wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:53 am
Thoughtful wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:29 pm
Then there's stuff like this--four out of 34 people could sense changes in the earth's magnetic field, even when repeated trials were conducted:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne ... 180971760/

Others could not. Hmmmm.
“but No, It Doesn’t Mean We Have Magnetoreception ‘Superpowers’”

Dammit, they could of at a least waited til the end of the article to burst my bubble.
At least it appears theres no evolutionary advantage of it for humans. So even if its a thing, is it useful (other than warm fuzzzy stories?)

alas

Post by alas » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:27 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:03 pm
Lucidity wrote:
Thoughtful wrote:
Then there's stuff like this--four out of 34 people could sense changes in the earth's magnetic field, even when repeated trials were conducted:

Others could not. Hmmmm.

Dammit, they could of at a least waited til the end of the article to burst my bubble.
At least it appears theres no evolutionary advantage of it for humans. So even if its a thing, is it useful (other than warm fuzzzy stories?)
Actually, there is a big evolutionary advantage to humans. I have this “supper power” and most of the time, I never lose track of north. So, I don’t get lost in the wilderness like my husband does. But if there is a mountain with iron, or I happen to be in a mall with lots of steel beams, I can get turned around. Instead of having to figure out which way to go home, I know which direction we left and can usually just point the direction to go back. So, if the hunter/gatherer hunting party has someone with a good sense of direction, they are more likely to make it home after long hunting trips. So, not all people need it, but enough in the population to have at least one in the hunting party. And animals use it to migrate, so how about our ancestors on the plains of Africa who migrated to follow the rain and animals? Helps if there is one person in the tribe who knows north.

Now, if we are talking about an evolutionary advantage to ESP, what about all the times someone answers that “vibe” and follows the premonition and saves someone’s life. It seems that having your life saved or saving the life of a loved one would have an evolutionary advantage. The things I have had happen have saved lives, so I am not exaggerating that there might be an evolutionary advantage of this kind of connection our minds can have.

Lucidity

Post by Lucidity » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:17 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Lucidity wrote:
Thoughtful wrote:

Others could not. Hmmmm.

Hmm, I would think being able to detect magnetic north as well as this other “premonition” thing we have been discussing would both give an evolutionary advantage. The former to aid in a roaming hunter gatherer society, and the later to be in closer harmony with the community that you rely on for survival.

Some here have shared a “feeling” to act that could of resulted in saving a life. In a small tribe the lose of a central member could be devastating to its members survival. Of course we don’t have hard evidence that this “premonition” stuff is real but if it were I could certainly see it being useful in a natural selection sense.

Lucidity

Post by Lucidity » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:29 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:54 am
Lucidity wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:08 am
wtfluff wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:45 pm
Why is it that it seems only an extremely tiny subset of humanity gets to experience such things?
Is it an extremely tiny subset though? It seems to be pretty common for people to at least think they’ve had an experience like this.
Since so many people report experiences like this, I think it's safe to narrow the possibilities to two:

1) Human consciousness extends beyond the tissue contained inside the skull, via subatomic fields, quantum weirdness, whatever.

2) The brain is so highly evolved to seek patterns and explanations, and to impose order onto our existence, that it frames and reframes experience in a way that may seem miraculous. It singles out and reinterprets marked examples from the general unmarked chaos of human experience.

Neither of these is necessarily a metaphysical explanation, and neither can be easily demonstrated by experimentation.

I personally believe #2 is almost certainly true, it’s more a question of to what extent.

If course 1 and 2 aren’t necessarily exclusive to each other. Both could be true. Although as you say 1 would be particularly difficult to demonstrate beyond the questionable anecdotal evidence.

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:21 pm

20/20hind wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:12 am
I have had similar things happen. I was reading D&C 132 and had this overwhelming impression that the church is totally made up. I later confirmed it through Google searches.

Tender mercies
Bwahahaha.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:55 pm

alas wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:27 pm
Thoughtful wrote:
Lucidity wrote:

Actually, there is a big evolutionary advantage to humans. I have this “supper power” and most of the time, I never lose track of north. So, I don’t get lost in the wilderness like my husband does. But if there is a mountain with iron, or I happen to be in a mall with lots of steel beams, I can get turned around. Instead of having to figure out which way to go home, I know which direction we left and can usually just point the direction to go back. So, if the hunter/gatherer hunting party has someone with a good sense of direction, they are more likely to make it home after long hunting trips. So, not all people need it, but enough in the population to have at least one in the hunting party. And animals use it to migrate, so how about our ancestors on the plains of Africa who migrated to follow the rain and animals? Helps if there is one person in the tribe who knows north.

Now, if we are talking about an evolutionary advantage to ESP, what about all the times someone answers that “vibe” and follows the premonition and saves someone’s life. It seems that having your life saved or saving the life of a loved one would have an evolutionary advantage. The things I have had happen have saved lives, so I am not exaggerating that there might be an evolutionary advantage of this kind of connection our minds can have.
Talking about evolutionary advantage to magnetic perception in regard to modern life--with the point really being there's evidence some people perceive things others do not.

Saving lives isnt evolutionary advantage unless it's saving the life of ppl with the trait more than those without. If it saves lives, is it saving the life of the person who has the biology to detect the safety issue? Likely someone else-- so having that trait isn't a predictor of your survival or even your genetic survival (as our biological family in group is no longer our main attachment to which this would apply-- we have lots of loved ones that aren't close relatives)and the indicators are that the trait is in decline if it's something migratory humans relied on in the past--because so few people have it now. Perhaps early humans had a need to interact with magnetic fields but largely no longer do so--whereas animals that migrate etc still rely on it. The trait isn't necessarily replicating because it's not associated with survival (anymore) the way it is for animals (or may have been for migratory tribes). And so just as we have folks that can't understand why someone could perceive something they don't like ESP-- but someone else (small minority of people) truly does perceive something others don't (magnetics). So it's a possibility that if we could pinpoint how to measure ESP we would see something in some ppl.

On a side note--There's a lot out there about how directional sense is a learned behavior that varies by culture. If you're raised using cardinal directions to describe (i.e. turn north) you'll always be able to find north. If it's more of a relative direction norm (turn right) folks struggle identifying the cardinal directions. Additionally, detecting a magnetic field is more than consistently identifying north-- because directional cues have an influence, even in the wilderness-- landmarks, stars, sun position, planth growth patterns, temperatures etc. (Which is why the study logically required sensory deprivation to isolate directionality from perception of magnetic fields.)

Anyway, my point is that some people perceive things others don't, and perception of electromagnetic changes doesn't appear to increase survival at the time being in a way that's passed along or increases due to usefulness--if it was prevalent in the past, its faded out to 1 in 9 or so people, who don't even know they can do it or consciously use it.

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:54 pm

The NDE literature is overwhelming. I don't believe its possible for science to dispute the conclusion that consciousness exists outside the body, and for a short time during "mortality", inhabits a physical body. Its interesting how science is slowly turning. Things like the 'observer effect' have baffled science for so long--until they become willing to look at things differently.

Veridical NDE experiences are not sparse. It's those kinds that add credibility to the subject--and there are many that are VERY credible.