Source of the Title of Liberty

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Just This Guy

Source of the Title of Liberty

Post by Just This Guy » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:05 am

I was reading about the Whiskey Rebellion (1791-1794) and came across the Liberty Pole. This was a tall pole topped with a red hat that would be erected in a public area to protest government tyranny. They date back to the Death of Julius Caesar in 44 BC. They were quite common during the American Revolution and the Early US, even though they were generally considered illegal.

In the 1700's, it was common to include a sign on the pole stating what they were protesting. For example, in 1798, several men were arrested in Massachusetts for a pole that included a sign stating: "No Stamp Act, No Sedition Act, No Alien Bills, No Land Tax, downfall to the Tyrants of America; peace and retirement to the President; Long Live the Vice President".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_pole

I occurred to me this may be at least part of the inspiration for the story of Moroni & the Title of Liberty. A man erecting a pole featuring an article of clothing that carries a message for the people to rally around. While their popularity was waning in the early 1800, most likely they would still know about them. JS Sr. al most certainly was aware of him and may have told stories involving them. It provides some interesting historical context on where JSj may ave taken inspiration.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

deacon blues

Re: Source of the Title of Liberty

Post by deacon blues » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:14 am

I’d never heard of this before but it makes sense. Hugh Nibley especially should appreciate stuff like this. Joseph was in Salem, Massachusetts while recuperating from his leg operation, around 1813-14.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:05 pm

I'd read about the Liberty Poles in association with the war of Independence and George Washington.

Always figured there was a strong parallel between the BofM "kingmen" and "freemen" in contrast with the revolutionary war "Loyalists" (who were also called "Tories" or "Kings men") and the "Patriots".

Of course, BofM apologists love to accept the long, long stretch between Lamanite parallels with Central American Natives but any parallels drawn between the BofM stories and the revolutionary war are purely coincidental.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

John G.

Post by John G. » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:02 pm

In the 90’s, on my mission, when I was reading the BOM for the first time and read about the Title of Liberty, I remember thinking about how similar it sounded to the rhetoric of American revolution..At the time I just put that on my shelf.
"If your children are taught untruths on evolution in the public schools or even in our Church schools, provide them with a copy of President Joseph Fielding Smith's excellent rebuttal in his book Man, His Origin and Destiny."

Ezra Taft Benson