Teaching Gospel Doctrine for Easter tomorrow, got any ideas?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
sparky

Teaching Gospel Doctrine for Easter tomorrow, got any ideas?

Post by sparky » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:53 pm

So I'm still a GD teacher, and it's my turn tomorrow. I don't believe in the resurrection or a divine Jesus, but I know a major complaint/criticism of Mormon church meetings is they don't focus enough on Jesus. So for those who believe or are at least inspired by the story of the resurrection, what things do you think I should focus on? Are there tidbits I can pull out that teach us how to be better human beings?

2bizE

Re: Teaching Gospel Doctrine for Easter tomorrow, got any ideas?

Post by 2bizE » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:59 am

I like the idea of teaching about the christian traditions of Easter. Mormons really dont know much about this. Instead of celebrating Good Friday, the cross and the resurrection, we search for eggs and praise how wonderful our top 15 men are.
~2bizE

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:23 am

sparky wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:53 pm
I don't believe in the resurrection or a divine Jesus, but I know a major complaint/criticism of Mormon church meetings is they don't focus enough on Jesus.
I heard that a lot as a member, but TBH I found it a relief. There's nothing more aggravating then evangelical sermons where it's just a broken record about "Jayzuz, Jayzuz, Jayzuz." It has no therapeutic value and is a useless thing to focus on. For me and many others, sacrament and GD always had just about the right amount of Savior talk while focusing on principles of life and ways to understand scripture. I guess what I may be saying here is that it's okay to put in the amount you feel is right. I know as a non-believer teaching this is probably difficult but your instincts are probably in the right place. Just put in what you feel will help others and give them emotional comfort.

I didn't know it at the time, but I had (and have) PTSD, and the church was exactly what I needed; a very quiet and reverent service filled with talk about things you can think about that feel comforting, and have just the right amount of referencing the lawgiver and exemplar of these things. Go with your gut, it will probably serve the membership best.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

sparky

Post by sparky » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:51 am

Mad Jax wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:23 am
sparky wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:53 pm
I don't believe in the resurrection or a divine Jesus, but I know a major complaint/criticism of Mormon church meetings is they don't focus enough on Jesus.
I heard that a lot as a member, but TBH I found it a relief. There's nothing more aggravating then evangelical sermons where it's just a broken record about "Jayzuz, Jayzuz, Jayzuz." It has no therapeutic value and is a useless thing to focus on. For me and many others, sacrament and GD always had just about the right amount of Savior talk while focusing on principles of life and ways to understand scripture. I guess what I may be saying here is that it's okay to put in the amount you feel is right. I know as a non-believer teaching this is probably difficult but your instincts are probably in the right place. Just put in what you feel will help others and give them emotional comfort.

I didn't know it at the time, but I had (and have) PTSD, and the church was exactly what I needed; a very quiet and reverent service filled with talk about things you can think about that feel comforting, and have just the right amount of referencing the lawgiver and exemplar of these things. Go with your gut, it will probably serve the membership best.
Thank you for saying this! I totally know what you mean. I hate it when people describe a problem in lessons or talks, then start hinting that there's some hugely helpful/novel solution to it, then fall back to "because Jesus." We don't need to worry or be sad about anything because Jesus.

I am kind of taking the approach of focusing on being "rescued" by the atonement, but turning that around and having people think about how they can be there for family/friends or how they can forgive others, rather than focus on how much Jesus is helping them.

Also thinking about discussing the fire at Notre Dame—sometimes our lives feel like they are burned down, but life has a way of giving second chances, and we can rebuild and we can help/allow others to rebuild their lives after some setback or tragic event.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:01 am

How about looking for meaningful symbolism in the myth of the Easter Bunny?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

sparky

Post by sparky » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:06 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:01 am
How about looking for meaningful symbolism in the myth of the Easter Bunny?
Picturing how a discussion of fertility would go over...I may have to try this :lol:

mooseman

Post by mooseman » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:09 pm

since the easter bunny was mentioned....any of you ever heard of the holy gospel of the easter Rabbit?

https://youtu.be/tyLQIKl97Es
It's frustrating to see the last resort in a discussion of facts be: I disregard those facts because of my faith. Why even talk about facts if the last resort is to put faith above all facts that are contrary to your faith?

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:32 pm

How did this go? I've always wondered how I might be asked to teach a class after abandoning belief, and this could be a huge insight into what I myself may have taught.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.