"He" and "Him"

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Arcturus

"He" and "Him"

Post by Arcturus » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:21 pm

Anyone notice how Mormons love to refer to Jesus as "He" and "Him," and always with capitalization of the H? I've been inactive for about a year now and when these easter messages flood my FB feed, it seems so weird to me now.

Who are these easter testimonies for? Mormons or non-Mormons? If it's the latter, doesn't seem like a very effective way to communicate and "teach for understanding" as PMG emphasizes. Pretty confusing at first glance but I imagine once the #Heisrisen hashtag is seen, they might know what the Mormon is talking about.
“How valuable is a faith that is dependent on the maintenance of ignorance? If faith can only thrive in the absence of the knowledge of its origins, history, and competing theological concepts, then what is it we really have to hold on to?”
D Brisbin

moksha

Re: "He" and "Him"

Post by moksha » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:56 pm

The practice of capitalizing He and Him when referring to God/Jesus (and perhaps other deities) is a standard not limited to Mormons. Probably it is from those musty old stylebooks written by musty old English professors.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:54 pm

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:30 pm

Who are these easter testimonies for? Mormons or non-Mormons?
It's virtual signaling by the poster to all other Mormons that the poster is fully in the tribe.

It's weird to you now because you are out of the tribe.

The same goes for testimony meetings. It's all tribal communication.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:58 pm

moksha wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:56 pm
The practice of capitalizing He and Him when referring to God/Jesus (and perhaps other deities) is a standard not limited to Mormons. Probably it is from those musty old stylebooks written by musty old English professors.
This is my understanding as well. Moksha for the win. It apparently began in the 19th century and not with the Mormons.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reveren ... talization
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:14 am

Threads like this make me wish there was a thumbs up button for responses.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.