The church officially ends its affiliation with the BSA in just over 8 months, but....

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Mormon 8

The church officially ends its affiliation with the BSA in just over 8 months, but....

Post by Mormon 8 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:25 pm

our ward just got a new Scoutmaster since scouts is in the tank and needs to be reinvigorated? Not sure I get it?
Last edited by Mormon 8 on Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brent

Re: The church officially ends its affiliation with the BSA in just over 8 months, but....

Post by Brent » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:00 pm

Here is danger: what if the church has no real plan? And they need fall guys...someone to sign the charter...to revitalize BSA...i would advise Pop not to sign anything...

Just This Guy

Re: The church officially ends its affiliation with the BSA in just over 8 months, but....

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:15 pm

Like many callings in Mormonism, since the position is there, by god, they are going to fill it, whether it is really needed or not.

At one point in time, didn't ward leadership have to report how many of the Priesthood held callings? That was one of their KPIs.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:16 am

Brent wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:00 pm
Here is danger: what if the church has no real plan? And they need fall guys...someone to sign the charter...to revitalize BSA...i would advise Pop not to sign anything...

Oh, I’m sure they have some poorly thought through, catastrophically underdeveloped skeleton of a plan they’ll roll out whose sole purpose is to strengthen indoctrination into the Church and will have removed any elements of fun or good times you had in Scouting. I promise you, it will be something so mind-numbingly boring and out of touch no young man is going to be all that enthusiastic about it.

There’s no room for fun when you are strengthening the chains that bind youth to the Church. And that’s part of the reason they lose so many of them.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:36 am

I don’t see the problem. The scoutmaster will be converted to the priesthood camping expert with the new system
~2bizE

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:38 am

Scouts is largely dead in my ward and I'm in the YM Presidency. The deacons are still doing some merit badges and we have one final young man who might get his Eagle. But this will all quietly end in December. I'm not sure what will replace it since the Wednesday activies have become increasingly ad hoc since scouting ended.

Random

Post by Random » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:46 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:16 am
I promise you, it will be something so mind-numbingly boring and out of touch no young man is going to be all that enthusiastic about it.
I heard that one of the exciting things they'll do is clean the chapel. (I don't recall exactly where I read it, but I could have sworn it was on lds.org.)
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Random

Post by Random » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:51 pm

There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

PK

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:24 pm

Random wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:46 pm
I heard that one of the exciting things they'll do is clean the chapel.
I hope they extend this chapel cleaning merit badge to the girls as well as the boys. Maybe they could make the boy's badge a bit longer to help extend the priesthood.

I'm looking forward to purchasing some ward cookies.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Mormon 8

Post by Mormon 8 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:47 pm

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/S ... 34291.html

New Details Emerge on Boy Scouts' 'Perversion Files'; Thousands of Boy Scout Leaders Face Child Sex Allegations.
An attorney claims the Boy Scouts of America has files of child abusers within their ranks, going back to the 1940s.

Culper Jr.

Post by Culper Jr. » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:12 pm

2bizE wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:36 am
I don’t see the problem. The scoutmaster will be converted to the priesthood camping expert with the new system
This is exactly what was being discussed in our bishopric meeting recently. People were complaining about how leadership was continuing to fill positions in a dying program, and the bishop made the point that the scouting programs will be replaced with something and the people in place will likely continue on in filling those callings.

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:59 pm

Culper Jr. wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:12 pm
2bizE wrote:
This is exactly what was being discussed in our bishopric meeting recently. People were complaining about how leadership was continuing to fill positions in a dying program, and the bishop made the point that the scouting programs will be replaced with something and the people in place will likely continue on in filling those callings.
This is what I was thinking. I was surprised that not even a peep in GC about changes in youth program

It can't be any worse than the way LDS troops have been run in the last decade. Unless you have a dynamic leader, or motivated Scouts it doesn't work well.

I think this might give leaders more freedom. I just hope they take the $250 they spent on registration for each boy and keep it in the youth program. Money and picking leaders that want to do it will be the key to it being successful.
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

mooseman

Post by mooseman » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:06 pm

Raylan Givens wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:59 pm
Culper Jr. wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:12 pm
2bizE wrote:
This is what I was thinking. I was surprised that not even a peep in GC about changes in youth program

It can't be any worse than the way LDS troops have been run in the last decade. Unless you have a dynamic leader, or motivated Scouts it doesn't work well.

I think this might give leaders more freedom. I just hope they take the $250 they spent on registration for each boy and keep it in the youth program. Money and picking leaders that want to do it will be the key to it being successful.
I think it's much more likely the $250 will be pocketed, and the budget for young men will be identical to the young womens budget. The church doesn't feel scouting is meeting its needs AND is costing it money. It'll try to fix both of those issues.
It's frustrating to see the last resort in a discussion of facts be: I disregard those facts because of my faith. Why even talk about facts if the last resort is to put faith above all facts that are contrary to your faith?

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:37 pm

Mormon 8 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:47 pm
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/S ... 34291.html

New Details Emerge on Boy Scouts' 'Perversion Files'; Thousands of Boy Scout Leaders Face Child Sex Allegations.
An attorney claims the Boy Scouts of America has files of child abusers within their ranks, going back to the 1940s.
You know...this doesn't surprise me, but it does mark a transition point in our society. Don't we live in an incredibly interesting time? I mean, at one time the old Norman Rockwell BSA idea was as true as Mama, Apple Pie and Baseball. The church, especially throughout the entire time of TSM, was joined to scouting as if at the hip. Now (as is true of so many other 'foundational' groups) we come to understand that the BSA program also had its dirty little secrets.

How sad, and yet how interesting. We live in a time where SSM has come to pass in the USA and in many other parts of the world; we have organizations like BSA that are going through upheavals related to graft and hidden vice; we have the LDS church making some rather big changes to policies and trying like crazy to couch them in 'revelatory' idioms; and the list continues.

The era of image-management, though still enthroned, is being challenged in many fronts!

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:16 pm

Scouts in our ward came around for yearly flag fundraiser but this time said we could keep the flag after the year was up. I guess this means the youth will be doing different fundraisers, no fundraisers, OR they are taking all of RMN's apocolypse rhetoric quite seriously.

Nope don't need flags after Jesus arrives!

Random

Post by Random » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:35 pm

moksha wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:24 pm
I hope they extend this chapel cleaning merit badge to the girls as well as the boys. Maybe they could make the boy's badge a bit longer to help extend the priesthood.
:lol: :lol: I almost swallowed my tongue. Good thing I wasn't drinking anything.

PK