One More Please

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
1smartdodog

One More Please

Post by 1smartdodog » Wed May 08, 2019 5:10 am

Lots of positive changes lately in the church so I thought I would ask for one more. Please make garments go away. At least for outside the temple. It’s still a wedge between my wife and I. It draws lines between members and causes judgements. Plus I just think they are ugly. Who wants to look ugly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Not Buying It

Re: One More Please

Post by Not Buying It » Wed May 08, 2019 5:28 am

Never fear, it may take a while, but sooner or later this one is going to go too. Nothing makes the Church look more weird or culty than forcing its members to wear bizarre underwear, and the same rising generation that is rejecting the Church’s anti-LGBTness and historical misogyny isn’t going to be super accepting of being forced to wear freaky, ugly, uncomfortable underwear.

It’ll happen. Maybe we just need a really BIG scandal for them to whip this one out to distract all the members. I liked Church scandals before, but now that they are associated with policy change announcements I like them even more.
Last edited by Not Buying It on Wed May 08, 2019 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Wed May 08, 2019 5:40 am

Not Buying It wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:28 am
I liked Church scandals before, but now that they are associated with policy change announcements I like them even more.
Yep! :lol:
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Wed May 08, 2019 5:41 am

1smartdodog wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:10 am
Lots of positive changes lately in the church so I thought I would ask for one more. Please make garments go away. At least for outside the temple. It’s still a wedge between my wife and I. It draws lines between members and causes judgements. Plus I just think they are ugly. Who wants to look ugly?
Garments are one of the worst things about the church. They are super culty, and they are the ugliest pieces of clothing you could possibly ask for.

And they are an absolute wedge in mixed faith marriages, and there is just no way around it... and I was blindsided by them as a convert. :evil:

BRING ON THE SCANDALS! The garments need to die in a horrific fire to cleanse ourselves from having to ever wear and look at them.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed May 08, 2019 9:09 am

I don't know if I could see the church dropping garments easily because they are a money maker for the church. If they drop garnets for everyday use and only require them in the temple, sales would go though the floor. With them would go the profit from Beehive clothing. Considering in the past, when profits have been down, they have pushed people war them or introduced new designs and features to prop up the sagging sales, I can't see the church dropping them unless they had to, or Beehive clothing suddenly got super expensive to run.

The marriage/sealing thing really doesn't cost the church anything, nor bring any profit. So they can do that change without any impact to the bottom line.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed May 08, 2019 9:40 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:09 am
I don't know if I could see the church dropping garments easily because they are a money maker for the church. If they drop garnets for everyday use and only require them in the temple, sales would go though the floor. With them would go the profit from Beehive clothing. Considering in the past, when profits have been down, they have pushed people war them or introduced new designs and features to prop up the sagging sales, I can't see the church dropping them unless they had to, or Beehive clothing suddenly got super expensive to run.
This is a really good point. I'm not so sure they make "a lot" of profit off the sex protection suits, but they definitely employ quite a few people making them. Do they care enough about those people to keep them employed?

Just This Guy wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:09 am
The marriage/sealing thing really doesn't cost the church anything, nor bring any profit. So they can do that change without any impact to the bottom line.
Now this I have to respectfully disagree with. There are millions of stories out there of apostate/inactive/jack-mormons who have jumped through hoops and paid "back" tithing to get their golden ticket to see their relatives get "married." I believe that money is the reason this awful policy stayed in place for so long. I was a tiny bit tempted a few months back to set up an appointment with the bishop and simply ask: "OK, let's cut through the bullsh!t because we both know exactly what this is about: How much is this going to cost me?" I just wanted to see the reaction, then I likely would have just left.

I'm still a bit perplexed that LD$-Inc. has dropped this form of blackmail. I guess they've done some sort of cost/benefit analysis and practicing what they preach and allowing families to "be together" during important events has somehow won out over punishing folks and taking the money from those who are "just not good enough." (And also punishing those who are too young to have been through the plagiarized cult rituals...)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Wed May 08, 2019 9:46 am

I remember when I stopped wearing them it felt weird after 30 years. Like most things it would feel even weirder to put them back on. So it would be really hard for some members to go cold turkey and jump into boxers or whatever.

The hope is in the younger generation just never wears them regularly. I can see it like tattoos. Lots of young get at least small ones in spit of the directive. Maybe they will refuse to put on ugly underwater all day and night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

græy

Post by græy » Wed May 08, 2019 10:15 am

jfro18 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:41 am
Garments are one of the worst things about the church. They are super culty, and they are the ugliest pieces of clothing you could possibly ask for.

BRING ON THE SCANDALS! The garments need to die in a horrific fire to cleanse ourselves from having to ever wear and look at them.
Hear! Hear!
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Wed May 08, 2019 11:14 am

wtfluff wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:40 am
This is a really good point. I'm not so sure they make "a lot" of profit off the sex protection suits, but they definitely employ quite a few people making them. Do they care enough about those people to keep them employed?
I don’t think so based on their history of firing janitors and replacing other paying jobs with missionaries.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed May 08, 2019 11:22 am

But janitors are not making making a product they can directly sell. Janitors only cost them money. Therefore, they are expendable. The question I think is how much does Beehive Clothing make for LDSinc.? If they are running at a loss (cost more than they make in the sale of garments) then, Yes I could see them scaling back garment requirements so they can reduce their cost.*

However,if the current setup is at least covering their operating costs, or better yet, is actually coming out ahead, then there is no reason to jeopardize the revenue stream.

*I don't know if I see that happening. If they were running at a loss, they would likely start by replacing paid position with unpaid missionaries. there don't seam to be any rumors or evidane for this happening.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed May 08, 2019 11:26 am

i hate garments too!

Why don’t we start a grass roots uprising!

Ordain Blacks
Ordain Women
End Masturbation Interviews

Sounds like it’s time to petition the leadership!
G’s in the T’s?

Everyone can post their garment horror stories and we can present a book to the FP!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

alas

Post by alas » Wed May 08, 2019 12:22 pm

This week I REALLY want them to change the rule on garments. It is getting hot in Southern Utah, and we snowbirds are unable to migrate north yet. My husband gets a fungus when he sweats and the doctors have not been able to get completely rid of it for 30 years now. We just sort of try to control it, and right now he is COVERED with his “fungus amongus” everywhere his extra layer of clothing covers. I suggested it would help if he cut the extra layer for a few weeks and try to get his pet fungus under control. NOOOOOoooOOO he can’t take off the garments even for a G.D. Medical condition.

Excuse me while I bang my head against the wall until I feel better.

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Wed May 08, 2019 1:00 pm

I stopped wearing the garment top about two months ago. I don't think DW was super happy about it, mostly because it may accelerate the timeline of confrontations with family members. Anyhow, I have had a chronic skin condition that disappeared when I stopped wearing the top. Its crazy to have lived with that for 25 years and now to have it gone. I really can't stand to wear them anymore, but I am not fully out to my in-laws...

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed May 08, 2019 1:34 pm

alas wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:22 pm
My husband gets a fungus when he sweats and the doctors have not been able to get completely rid of it for 30 years now.
OFF TOPIC: (But not completely":) Has hubby tried tea tree oil? (Nope, I'm not selling doTERRA or Young Living, but tea tree oil IS actually a natural anti-fungal that works for "athlete's foot" and other such fungal infections...)

Back to your regularly scheduled rants about "policy" changes...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Wed May 08, 2019 5:44 pm

Garments are the worst thing about the church on a daily basis. I remember the day I finally switched back to regular clothes and it was just so nice... regular old boxer shorts and at the time I had a business casual job so I still wore a plain white shirt under whatever regular shirt/polo I wore that day.

So it wasn't a HUGE difference in comfort but I felt so much better mentally.

Unfortunately DW has never gotten rid of them, so I still have to see them every day even if just for a moment... and every time I see them I'm reminded of being blindsided by them years ago as I was told they protect us from fire and bullets (really, I was told that).

I. Hate. Garments.

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Wed May 08, 2019 8:26 pm

My DS asked me about Gs the other day. Young adult. He has not been endowned yet. I abruptly quit wearing mine I guess almost 4 years ago after spending a couple of weeks reading all the essays and their footnotes. He and DD say just wear them when you want to! No biggie! I see this with their RM cousins and siblings and friends. 90% of the time when I see them they are not in garment friendly clothes. My kids say mostly their peers wear them when they “need to” so church and temple. I love this generation!

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Thu May 09, 2019 12:53 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 11:26 am
i hate garments too!

Why don’t we start a grass roots uprising!

Ordain Blacks
Ordain Women
End Masturbation Interviews

Sounds like it’s time to petition the leadership!
G’s in the T’s?

Everyone can post their garment horror stories and we can present a book to the FP!
Yes! End the Ordination of Masturbation Garments!
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Thu May 09, 2019 6:58 am

What would help would be for thousands of people to march in garments only in parades around the country.
Can you imagine 2000 stripling warriors at that freedom parade in Provo and all they are wearing are garments? Maybe March in the Maceys thanksgiving Day parade on national tv.
~2bizE

Mackman

Post by Mackman » Thu May 09, 2019 8:12 am

Wearing only garments and drinking Coffee !!!!!!!

A New Name

Post by A New Name » Thu May 09, 2019 2:05 pm

My friend is a temple worker in the Idaho Falls temple and told me the following. Last weekend, Bednar was visiting the Temple President, and he said that there was “lots of big changes coming to the temple” The Temple President pressed him, but he wouldn’t reveal anything. Then Monday the sealing change came out. Bednar said “lots”. So what else is still out there to change? Garments? What else?