One More Please

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
sunstoned

Re: One More Please

Post by sunstoned » Fri May 10, 2019 3:07 am

An interesting article in the Trib concerning millennials playing fast and loose with the rules. They seem to be taking Mormonism on their own terms. I believe that's a good thing.
Indeed, recent surveys show that an increasing percentage of churchgoing Mormons report having downed alcohol or coffee in the previous six months, or not wearing their garments as mandated.
“Millennials who are wearing garments less and have a flexible view of the Word of Wisdom are less concerned with things they see as simply ‘good Mormon badges,’” says Mormon podcaster Rosemary Card, of the “Q.MORE” podcast. “I’m more concerned with bigger issues like the treatment of refugees, the LGBT+ community and women than I am what is in someone’s cup.”
https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2018/09 ... l-mormons/

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Fri May 10, 2019 5:00 am

How about we stop burying members in their temple clothes too? It’s weird, culty, the apron is ugly, and where I live members have to put temple clothes on their dead friends and relatives because the funeral directors aren’t Mormon. Ick. There is one family member whose death I am dreading in particular because I don’t like being around this person alive, never mind handling their corpse when they are dead, but I’m pretty sure I’m gonna be the one tasked with taking care of it.

This practice really needs to go.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Fri May 10, 2019 5:12 am

A New Name wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:05 pm
My friend is a temple worker in the Idaho Falls temple and told me the following. Last weekend, Bednar was visiting the Temple President, and he said that there was “lots of big changes coming to the temple” The Temple President pressed him, but he wouldn’t reveal anything. Then Monday the sealing change came out. Bednar said “lots”. So what else is still out there to change? Garments? What else?
I don't know if the civil marriage thing is even a temple change - if anything it's an external one.

It also doesn't make sense to tell temple presidents that big changes are coming to the temple, but then again they love to tell everyone to take their vitamins and that changes are coming so who knows.

I just don't know what they can change in the temple that would make sense at this point, and I don't think garment rules would be considered temple changes either since you'd almost certainly need to wear them inside still.

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Fri May 10, 2019 6:32 am

Just learned a new benefit of not wearing garments this week!

We live in a rural, wooded area, a few acres of land, lots of yard work. My hubby used to get ticks in the crown jewels pretty regularly when we clear brush. But now that he wears regular fruit of the loom, no more ticks in the nether regions! :lol:

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Fri May 10, 2019 6:55 am

crossmyheart wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 6:32 am

We live in a rural, wooded area, a few acres of land, lots of yard work. My hubby used to get ticks in the crown jewels pretty regularly when we clear brush. But now that he wears regular fruit of the loom, no more ticks in the nether regions! :lol:
Tender mercies!

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Fri May 10, 2019 6:49 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 6:55 am
crossmyheart wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 6:32 am

Tender mercies!
The tenderest mercies!
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri May 10, 2019 9:24 pm

Ticks on the genitals sounds terrible...
I think the thing I like least about garments is the expectation of needing to wear them day and night for your life. It is certainly about control, and I don’t like being controlled. I don’t mind the tops, don’t like the bottoms, but I like to not wear them when it’s hot. It is my decision to wear them or not, but the Jedi mind control tricks cause me much resentment toward the church.
~2bizE