Speed of Prayer Theory

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
moksha

Speed of Prayer Theory

Post by moksha » Thu May 09, 2019 10:00 pm

Let's assume that God is smart enough to come up with a way to accelerate the speed of prayer from Earth to Kolob well beyond the physical limits of lightspeed. With a hyper-lightspeed prayer accelerator, the normal 5000 lightyear distance to Kolob could be whittled down to a mere 50 years - meaning that theoretically, you could receive an answer to your prayers within your own lifetime. The exception to this is asking for God's assistance in finding your keys. Key finding technology is boosted by the addition of short burst twinkling-in-an eye acceleration.

Can you help add some of your own metaphysical understanding to this Speed of Prayer Theory?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Reuben

Re: Speed of Prayer Theory

Post by Reuben » Fri May 10, 2019 12:34 am

He might delegate prayer answering to a first-degree celestial (a ministering servant) named Brian who orbits the Sun at the Sun-Earth L3 point. Turnaround time for answering prayers from the other side of the Sun would be about 33 minutes, if Brian stays on his toes. Add in a hyper-lightspeed accelerator and answers could be instantaneous.

Joseph Smith was probably visited by Brian and his eternally platonic friend Judy. It's too bad they had to let Lucifer have at him for 33 minutes while they traveled in the conduit.

Weirdly, I just noticed that "first degree" is totally a Masonic term.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

sunstoned

Post by sunstoned » Fri May 10, 2019 2:49 am

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Fri May 10, 2019 5:07 am

Oh ye of little faith. The sun somehow gets its light from Kolob over that unimaginably vast distance, according to Facsimile 2 in the Book of Abraham:
Is called in Egyptian Enish-go-on-dosh; this is one of the governing planets also, and is said by the Egyptians to be the Sun, and to borrow its light from Kolob through the medium of Kae-e-vanrash, which is the grand Key, or, in other words, the governing power, which governs fifteen other fixed planets or stars, as also Floeese or the Moon, the Earth and the Sun in their annual revolutions. This planet receives its power through the medium of Kli-flos-is-es, or Hah-ko-kau-beam, the stars represented by numbers 22 and 23, receiving light from the revolutions of Kolob.
(Wanna read something fun? See FairMormon try and defend this nonsense at https://www.fairmormon.org/answers/Book ... m_Kolob.3F. I’ve read some asinine things in my life, but I am not sure I’ve ever read anything this ridiculous.)

So if the sun can get its light from Kolob “through the medium of Kae-e-vanrash”, why is it so hard to believe that prayers can be received and answered instantaneously over that great distance? Duh.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Fri May 10, 2019 6:21 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:07 am
So if the sun can get its light from Kolob “through the medium of Kae-e-vanrash”, why is it so hard to believe that prayers can be received and answered instantaneously over that great distance? Duh.
So... Kae-e-vanrash is subspace then? Cool.

It also sounds like a skin condition you'd pick up from a Korean automobile.

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri May 10, 2019 11:01 pm

Reuben wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 6:21 pm
Not Buying It wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:07 am
So... Kae-e-vanrash is subspace then? Cool.
Sounds potentially like a wormhole or Star Gate leading to the planets Earth, Oblibish, Enish-go-on-Dosh (AKA the Celtic Planet), as well as others such as Comet, Donner, Blitzen, McConkie, and Smith World.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Sat May 11, 2019 1:33 pm

Our consciouness only percieves the past. Everything we sense has traveled to our sense systems; been converted to nerve impulses; traveled to the brain; been coverted to other impulses; and added to the model our consciousness builds of reality, which can only be of the recent past. For life on earth this delay is short enough to not matter though as we travel faster in cars and planes and so on, our reaction time and past consciousness becomes less adequate.

Some religious folk argue that the only thing instantly perciev3e is spirit to spirit communication. This is why God talks to us through the holy ghost.

That this would require a translation system of some sort to enter the realm of our chemical consciousness is neglected in the argument. Nor the causality violations the system similarly ignores. Even the proposed hyperspeed prayer gets into causality issues. I suppose the believer just replaces causality violation with the word miracle to hand wave away the issue in the same way Star Trek has warp cores, Heisenberg compensators and so on. If we can replace the confusion with a magic word, the problem is resolved.

NOMormon

Post by NOMormon » Sun May 12, 2019 6:50 am

Our understanding of space-time relativity through the curvature and warping of space is the beginning of knowledge. The "ether" or invisible "substrate" that permeates creation constitutes a "space-time-priesthood" continuum whereby all things are now to God as revealed to him through the Urim and Thummin on which he resides. Your prayer and God not answering it occur simultaneously and have always existed. That we experience reality as a sequence of events is a construct of mortality which to God does not exist. Our prayers therefore need not be accelerated but have always remained unanswered since the beginning.

* The role of Floeese in this system is not currently understood and we await further light and knowledge.
I know the church is true beyond any shadow of a doubt. I love my Mom and Dad and I know they love me too.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun May 12, 2019 12:35 pm

NOMormon, your idea of a Space-Time-Priesthood continuum is most intriguing. Do you know whether any doctoral students at BYU have devoted a speculative dissertation to this subject?
-- Moksha

Phil Lurkerman

Post by Phil Lurkerman » Sun May 12, 2019 6:16 pm

Or - and hear me out - maybe it's all made up.
I was once a cafeteria Mormon on a hunger strike. Have since found a buffet elsewhere.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sun May 12, 2019 6:26 pm

Phil Lurkerman wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:16 pm
Or - and hear me out - maybe it's all made up.
Don't tell the apologists about this defense! It is absolutely bullet-proof. If it's all made up, then it doesn't have to be consistent with facts and well-validated theories. Hell, it doesn't even have to be consistent with itself because it can be reconciled using its own internal logic.

Just... they can never know about the "it's all made up" defense, okay?

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Mon May 13, 2019 7:37 pm

If it takes 50 years to get a prayer answered that explains a lot. Think about it. That is about how far behind most of the leaders are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue May 14, 2019 6:25 am

1smartdodog wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:37 pm
If it takes 50 years to get a prayer answered that explains a lot. Think about it. That is about how far behind most of the leaders are.
It's like they should have prayed for wisdom rather than a new 1969 Dodge Dart.
-- Moksha

ulmite

Post by ulmite » Tue May 14, 2019 4:09 pm

May I point out that an omniscient God knows what will happen, knows what you will do before you do it, and can therefore sidestep the lag problem by sending responses ahead of time a century to a few hundred milennia or so ahead of time.
To keep everything coherent with a 6,000-ish year old planet and star, it makes sense that He created the arriving prayer answers en route at the same time that He seperated the heavens from the earth.