RFM Mormon Apologetic Lecture Series

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
consiglieri

RFM Mormon Apologetic Lecture Series

Post by consiglieri » Mon May 20, 2019 3:32 pm

Hi All!

Just wanted to let you know I am posting a series of 12 lectures I gave in Institute back in 1989, exactly 30-years ago!

I have two of the lectures up at RFM under the title, "Radio Free Mormon--Defender of the Faith."

Here is episode one:

https://mormondiscussionpodcast.org/201 ... th-part-1/

And here is episode two:

https://mormondiscussionpodcast.org/201 ... th-part-2/

I include a few anecdotes before each lecture to help fill in the gaps of what was going on behind the scenes during those halcyon apologetic days of Radio Free Mormon.

I hope you enjoy them!

I should have the rest of the lectures out in the coming weeks.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

jfro18

Re: RFM Mormon Apologetic Lecture Series

Post by jfro18 » Mon May 20, 2019 4:55 pm

Clearly the church could use this to backtrack who you are, so I assume they must've identified you on the phone call with the SCMC. :)

Really interesting to hear you as an apologist, although I came across the 'bullseyes in the Book of Mormon' podcast a while back with John Larsen and I couldn't believe it was the same person doing the current RFM podcasts. :lol:

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Tue May 21, 2019 8:44 am

It is interesting to listen to these about half way through, but any more and I think my head will explode. The whole mindset of apologetics just gives me a headache.
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Tue May 21, 2019 9:47 am

To me, just listening to some old recordings of an apologist's lectures isn't overly interesting. The last episode, I skipped to the end a few minutes after it got into the recording of RFM's lecture.

I would be more interested to listen to RFM play segments of his old lectures and then analysis them from his perspective now. What holds up, what doesn't. Contrasting then and now and how the apologist's mind works from a ex-mo perspective would be a lot more interesting.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue May 21, 2019 10:13 am

Consiglieri, my first exposure to you was when I heard you doing the apologist thing on a podcast, but I can't remember what podcast. It was when I was still trying really hard to believe, so I enjoyed your bullseyes. I suspect that if I had heard it a couple of years later I might have thought of some other aspect of the bull.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Tue May 21, 2019 2:04 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:13 am
Consiglieri, my first exposure to you was when I heard you doing the apologist thing on a podcast, but I can't remember what podcast. It was when I was still trying really hard to believe, so I enjoyed your bullseyes. I suspect that if I had heard it a couple of years later I might have thought of some other aspect of the bull.
I'm confused. Are you talking about consiglieri's bullsasses?
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

consiglieri

Post by consiglieri » Tue May 21, 2019 4:01 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:13 am
Mormon Expression.

John Larsen.

Episode 60.

Bullseyes in the Book of Mormon.

It was a blast!

http://johnlarsen.org/mormon-expression/

The back-story is John Larsen was trying his darndest to find an apologist, ANY apologist, to come on Mormon Expression and be interviewed.

Nobody would take him up on it.

So it fell to me to brush off my 1980s Mormon Apologetics and come on the show with him!

And believe it or not, we had a most delightful discussion!

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue May 21, 2019 4:51 pm

consiglieri wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 4:01 pm

So it fell to me to brush off my 1980s Mormon Apologetics and come on the show with him!

And believe it or not, we had a most delightful discussion!
I recall that you weren't all that insistent about how amazing your bullseyes were, sort of "there you go, make of it what you will." If it had been a typical apologist approach I probably wouldn't still remember it, but it made an impression because you were so laid back about the whole thing.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

consiglieri

Post by consiglieri » Wed May 22, 2019 8:57 am

It is amazing what a certain degree of emotional detachment from a subject can do for having an even-handed and pleasant discussion.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed May 22, 2019 11:05 am

Consig: “I was officially released yesterday....”

John Larsen: “Not under duress I hope?”

Ha ha ha ha ha.

John slips and says “I’ve always enjoyed your podcasts.... I mean posts.”

John Larsen has always been a Prophet!

Consig - is your brother still a Jehovah’s Witness?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

BringEmYoung

Post by BringEmYoung » Wed May 22, 2019 11:23 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:47 am
To me, just listening to some old recordings of an apologist's lectures isn't overly interesting. The last episode, I skipped to the end a few minutes after it got into the recording of RFM's lecture.

I would be more interested to listen to RFM play segments of his old lectures and then analysis them from his perspective now. What holds up, what doesn't. Contrasting then and now and how the apologist's mind works from a ex-mo perspective would be a lot more interesting.

+1

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Thu May 23, 2019 4:45 pm

Here here. I would love to hear a point, counterpoint, IOT Smackdown, or RFM thrashing of your lessons.

græy

Post by græy » Fri May 24, 2019 3:15 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:47 am

Ditto
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack