Disclaimer Notices

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
1smartdodog

Disclaimer Notices

Post by 1smartdodog » Thu May 23, 2019 11:44 am

Some advice for the COB watchers. Whenever a leader says something they need to attach a disclaimer. I give them three options. This is opinion, policy or revelation/doctrine.

Would avoid confusion and all the speculation about every word they utter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Just This Guy

Re: Disclaimer Notices

Post by Just This Guy » Thu May 23, 2019 11:53 am

Problem is it seems like RMN things everything that come out of his mouth is revelation/doctrine, including last night dinner.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Thu May 23, 2019 12:20 pm

1smartdodog wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:44 am
Some advice for the COB watchers. Whenever a leader says something they need to attach a disclaimer. I give them three options. This is opinion, policy or revelation/doctrine.

Oh, I agree, but the Church leadership loves ambiguity, they don’t want to be pinned down or painted into a corner by anything they say. Remember, these are the guys who tell the members they speak for God but not to record and distribute what they say in meetings.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu May 23, 2019 2:22 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 12:20 pm
...they don’t want to be pinned down or painted into a corner by anything they say.
Or nailed to a wall
The squishier the line between doctrine and policy the better for them. Things look so much better in retrospect when you have the freedom reassign official statements to one category or the other by virtue of the revelatory gift of hindsight.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu May 23, 2019 2:42 pm

I’d settle for something along these lines:

“I’m Jesus H. Christ and I approve this message!”

“All spiritual, doctrinal, and policy guidance heard today is solely the opinion of a 94 year old man who claims to walk and talk with God but ONLY AFTER his 2nd wife leaves the room!”

“Our prophetic degree depends on your degree of naivety, intolerance, and homophobia!”

“You can Depend on Depends!”

“See you in the Telestial Kingdom, bitches!”
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Mackman

Post by Mackman » Thu May 23, 2019 4:16 pm

Love it Red Ryder !!!!!!

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Fri May 24, 2019 7:36 am

Not Buying It wrote:
1smartdodog wrote:

Oh, I agree, but the Church leadership loves ambiguity, they don’t want to be pinned down or painted into a corner by anything they say. Remember, these are the guys who tell the members they speak for God but not to record and distribute what they say in meetings.
You are soooooo right on this NBI. Of all thinks crashing my shelf while TBM, the biggest was lack of accountability, then ambiguity. I remember BRM standing up and saying that God possesses a 'Fullness' of all power, characteristics, and so forth. His words were meaningless. I couldn't understand it at all. What the hell is "a fullness"?

Its like what you hear when executives stand up and spout off a bunch of buzzwords that say nothing...

"Today, our organization is embracing a new paradigm, going after the low hanging fruit of competatative leverage. We have no choice; we need to move now. Our competitors already quantify bleeding-edge agility. We must pivot the corporate social responsibility literally--skating to where the puck is going to be. Unless we do this, we will fall laterally behind our colleagues who are increasingly viral. We absolutely must quantify accordingly."

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri May 24, 2019 9:19 am

Not Buying It wrote:
1smartdodog wrote:

Yes, their disclaimer is that they reserve the right to call it what they want up front then later change it to make it more palatable and make themselves look better or less worse to whatever audience they are pandering too.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri May 24, 2019 10:28 am

Implementation of the Word of Wisdom is often considered policy, partially to guard against the future possibility of it being removed from the temple recommend interview. Today's apologists and doctrinal vanguards want to protect their future reputations of declaring it doctrine. Most members have not overtly noticed that we spend far too much time on matters of policty and too little time on doctrine in our culture and church meetings.

The further silliness of this situation is that many matters of policy and doctrine are simply held in place by the restrictions in holding a temple recommend. That's a nice family you have there. It would be a shame if you were excluded from attending your child's marriage in the temple. That protection quietly got removed last month although LDS culture has not noticed yet.

Sooner or later some of popular young couples will buck the temple marriage trend and have a delightful civil marriage to allow friends, family, and other non-temple rec holding loved ones to see the ceremony. This will be opposed in some areas, but the satisfying the desires of zealous bishop will fall after Facebook and Instagram shows pictures of a delightful ceremony in the mountains, on the sea shore, or in some elegant, old building that is not an LDS meeting house. How will you stop the desires of thousands of LDS young women who get their day as a princess without temple restrictions? One of those young women will then figure out that they don't need a garment covering wedding dress. Youth leaders will be left to shore up this unenforceable policy of being "temple worthy".

Some young couple will correctly surmise that the lack of a temple recommend requirement means that if they "screw up", there is no reason to delay the wedding. Instead, it's all the more reason to absolutely get married. This is how the Protestants and Catholics have dealt with this for a long time. I'm waiting for the mass of ward leadership to fully comprehend the implications for LDS culture at large. A temple sealing used to be the reason for all of the purity laws. Few objective or spiritual reasons were actually taught because the "doctrine" of a temple sealing maintained the culture. The policies lack teeth and I'm just going to sit back and watch the slow evolution of LDS culture as a result.

Newme

Post by Newme » Sun May 26, 2019 8:50 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:53 am
Problem is it seems like RMN things everything that come out of his mouth is revelation/doctrine, including last night dinner.
:lol:
I often get the impression that many at the top don’t even understand what’s going on now, let alone how to read the future.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Sun May 26, 2019 9:51 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:42 pm
I’d settle for something along these lines:

“I’m Jesus H. Christ and I approve this message!”

“All spiritual, doctrinal, and policy guidance heard today is solely the opinion of a 94 year old man who claims to walk and talk with God but ONLY AFTER his 2nd wife leaves the room!”

“Our prophetic degree depends on your degree of naivety, intolerance, and homophobia!”

“You can Depend on Depends!”

“See you in the Telestial Kingdom, bitches!”
:lol: :lol: :lol:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound