Went to Church

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
1smartdodog

Went to Church

Post by 1smartdodog » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:18 am

Went to church after some months absence. Just so you know nothing has changed. Still boring as hell. Priesthood was still a debate of fictional characters treated as actual people

How small the church has become in its scope of understanding to me. There is literally nothing of substance there. Just faith promoting fiction and emotional feelings elevated to fact

It was tedious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

slavereeno

Re: Went to Church

Post by slavereeno » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:45 am

Yeah I have skipped EQ for a while, then went back when son came to visit our ward. Your summary above fits my experience.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:51 am

I recently attended a TBM funeral in a ward house. May as well have been a sacrament meeting. I really hated hearing the words "God protects our children." I can't even remember the context because all I could think about were all those poor kids (me included growing up) who continue to get messed up by priesthood leaders drilling them with explicit questions about their sexual desires and behaviors, or worse all the kids that get sexually abused by leaders. Was it really God's grand plan to let innocent kids get abused by their spiritual leaders? It's like that messed up BOM story where the two prophets with the power of God have to sit there and watch innocent women and children get burned alive but it's okay because they'll go to Heaven.

“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:09 pm

1smartdodog wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:18 am
Went to church after some months absence. Just so you know nothing has changed. Still boring as hell. Priesthood was still a debate of fictional characters treated as actual people.
Suppose you accidentally attended a "Lord of the Rings" discussion group going over the finer points of Ar-Pharazon's invasion plans, the sinking of Numenor, and establishment of the line of kings through Isildur and Aaragorn. Spiritual lessons would be drawn from this narrative. Would this be an improvement over your Elders Quorum?

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:28 pm

I stopped going to Priesthood meeting two or three years before I stopped going to Sacrament Meeting. I think I may be been a believer when I stopped. (I honestly can't remember the exact sequence now.) When the Polygamy essay came out in 2014 I thought I would go one more time to see if they would mention anything interesting. It was brought up, and yet it was not. It was actually kind of bizarre.

The teacher talked about it for about 10 minutes in an oblique way, but never actually said anything directly about polygamy. He just talked about Joseph Smith and how some things have come out recently that should not bother us. He also mentioned that there were some who lost their faith over some of these things. Everyone was kind of squirming in their chairs and were visibly uncomfortable with the topic.

I didn't say a word, but that was the very last time I have ever gone to Priesthood. I have gone to Sacrament Meeting and Sunday School occasionally, but that is mainly because my wife teaches Gospel Doctrine. But even then I have probably only been twice this year.
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:01 pm

I attended Sacrament meeting with my wife, and then slipped down the St. Judas church in Draper. Honestly, there were uplifting parts in both services. The first Sac. Mtg. talk was an assigned Conference talk rehash :( , but the second talk took the old pop song "He Ain't Heavy He's My Brother, and focused on service. At St Judas, I had a great blueberry muffin and listened to WTFluff and others bear their testimonies. ;)
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:25 am

Corsair wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:09 pm
1smartdodog wrote:
Went to church after some months absence. Just so you know nothing has changed. Still boring as hell. Priesthood was still a debate of fictional characters treated as actual people.
Suppose you accidentally attended a "Lord of the Rings" discussion group going over the finer points of Ar-Pharazon's invasion plans, the sinking of Numenor, and establishment of the line of kings through Isildur and Aaragorn. Spiritual lessons would be drawn from this narrative. Would this be an improvement over your Elders Quorum?
Probably... until I got tired of hearing that same story for the 40th time after a year or so of attending.

Besides, we read general conference talks in EQ. Maybe a better comparison would be wandering into a discussion where people are taking turns reading someone else's interpretation of a poem about Goldberry. There wouldn't be any spiritual lessons, the main focus would be how Goldberry is literal, very much real, and how any interpretation other than the one being read is grossly incorrect and inspired by Sauron.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:59 am

nibbler wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:25 am
Corsair wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:09 pm
1smartdodog wrote:
Probably... until I got tired of hearing that same story for the 40th time after a year or so of attending.

Besides, we read general conference talks in EQ. Maybe a better comparison would be wandering into a discussion where people are taking turns reading someone else's interpretation of a poem about Goldberry. There wouldn't be any spiritual lessons, the main focus would be how Goldberry is literal, very much real, and how any interpretation other than the one being read is grossly incorrect and inspired by Sauron.
Haha: Correlated Goldberry Interpretations™.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...