Second anointing and the priesthood

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
2bizE

Second anointing and the priesthood

Post by 2bizE » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:43 pm

We have learned that during the 2nd anointing the women lays her hands on her husbands head and gives him a blessing. Are women who receive this second anointing given the priesthood? Is a reason why most women don’t have the priesthood because it is reserved for those special women who receive the 2nd anointing?
~2bizE

alas

Re: Second anointing and the priesthood

Post by alas » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:49 pm

In the temple endowment a women is told that she will be a priestess “unto” her husband. So, I suspect that in the second anointing, a wife is ordained to the priesthood of her husband as he becomes her God. This is why women cannot be ordained to the priesthood of Jesus Christ. Because he (Jesus) is not her lord. Her husband is her lord. If they gave women the priesthood of God, then who would be left to worship the men who think they are so righteous as to become a god? Only those who have had this second anointing really understand this, so they are the only ones who understand why the church cannot ordain women in the way feminists want. Yet the church does not dare explain why women are not given the priesthood of Jesus Christ. Because there would be a revolt as all the women who imagine themselves as equal to their husband leave the church.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:44 pm

alas wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:49 pm
In the temple endowment a women is told that she will be a priestess “unto” her husband. So, I suspect that in the second anointing, a wife is ordained to the priesthood of her husband as he becomes her God. This is why women cannot be ordained to the priesthood of Jesus Christ. Because he (Jesus) is not her lord. Her husband is her lord. If they gave women the priesthood of God, then who would be left to worship the men who think they are so righteous as to become a god? Only those who have had this second anointing really understand this, so they are the only ones who understand why the church cannot ordain women in the way feminists want. Yet the church does not dare explain why women are not given the priesthood of Jesus Christ. Because there would be a revolt as all the women who imagine themselves as equal to their husband leave the church.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :o :o :o
~2bizE

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:36 pm

alas wrote:

alas

Post by alas » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:53 pm

Most people never pay attention to the actual wording of the female endowment. Feminist Mormon housewives had a write up explaining the wording of the endowment, pre most recent changes. Look up “Mormon Priestess” on Feminist Mormon Housewives and read the “long version” that uses actual temple language if you want to know more about just how sexist the Mormon church is.

But of those recent temple changes, nothing really changes this. The changes are all just surface level and the husband still takes his wife through the veil.

Think about this. When you go to the veil to go through. “The Lord” is the one who takes you through, right? But for women, their husband is there in the position of the Lord. I have heard people say that the husband “stands proxy” for The Lord. But the truth really seems to be that her husband is the woman’s lord. Other men stand proxy for “The Lord” for men and when a woman goes through for the dead, a man stands proxy for her husband.

Most people don’t really notice this any more because women go through before they have a husband and never realize that the man standing proxy is standing in for her husband. It was only in the “old days” when they really discouraged women from going through before the day they were married, that women would really notice that their husbands were their lord, not “The Lord”. Women often resent that they give their “new name” to their husband at the veil and their husband never gives his to her. But they think that is the only reason for the ceremony at the veil. But the purpose of the veil ceremony is that “her lord” takes her through the veil and the man’s Lord takes him through the veil.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:35 pm

alas wrote:
This is why women cannot be ordained to the priesthood of Jesus Christ. Because he (Jesus) is not her lord. Her husband is her lord.
Well, that makes sense, in a weird, sick sort of way...

alas wrote:
In the temple endowment a women is told that she will be a priestess “unto” her husband.
So if a woman is invoking her husband's priesthood power, then when she gives him a blessing, then he is basically just blessing himself. Would we call this "Priesthood Masturbation"?
Last edited by Just This Guy on Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:01 pm

Every time I hear GAs speak about the nobility of women, I hear patronizing sexist comments. I didn't realize how bad it was until the ordain women movement provoked comments from high levels.

no1saint

Post by no1saint » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:47 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:35 pm
alas wrote:
This is why women cannot be ordained to the priesthood of Jesus Christ. Because he (Jesus) is not her lord. Her husband is her lord.

alas wrote:
In the temple endowment a women is told that she will be a priestess “unto” her husband.
So if a woman is invoking her husband's priesthood power, then when she gives him a blessing, then he is basically just blessing himself. Would we call this "Priesthood Masturbation"?
lol - Priesthood masturbation.

Spicy McHaggis

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:09 am

no1saint wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:47 am
Just This Guy wrote:
alas wrote:

alas wrote:
lol - Priesthood masturbation.
HA! That's exactly what I thought as well.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:25 am

Just This Guy wrote:
These are exactly the kinds of jokes that are going to get repeated as long as the Second Anointing remains in the realm of "too sacred to talk about".

alas

Post by alas » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:58 am

Corsair wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:25 am
Just This Guy wrote:
These are exactly the kinds of jokes that are going to get repeated as long as the Second Anointing remains in the realm of "too sacred to talk about".
It does kind of strike me as some man thinking he should give Jesus a blessing with Jesus’s priesthood. But they sell the priesthood as women shouldn’t want it because “you can’t give yourself a blessing” and just forget to mention that your wife CAN with your own priesthood.

græy

Post by græy » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:08 pm

alas wrote:
On a related note, I am slowly making my way through Mormon Enigma these days. I'll find the actual reference later but it does talk about Joseph revealing the possibility of women one day receiving the endowment (up to that point, it had been only men). Later, Emma asked why no women had received it yet. In response, he taught her that the endowment was necessary for exaltation (not salvation), and that only those men who had proven to be 100% obedient to God (or God's prophet by keeping his polygamous secret) were allowed to be endowed. Women, could only be allowed into the endowment once they had proven themselves 100% obedient to their husbands. Women obeying God wasn't an issue, they only had to be obedient to their husbands.

Further, JS wanted Emma to be the first to be endowed and set an example for all others. The implied meaning, of course, was that Emma was obstructing exaltation for all women by not accepting/allowing polygamous marriages.

Talk about manipulation!
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Charlotte

Post by Charlotte » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:59 am

alas wrote:
If they gave women the priesthood of God, then who would be left to worship the men who think they are so righteous as to become a god?
For the record, my husband doesn’t consider himself “more righteous” than any other man, or me, but finding out about the second anointing is what did in my testimony of the temple. Poof, it was gone. The first anointing was suddenly marred by the second anointing. The ordinance struck me as so demeaning, and I sense the sort of ghostly presence of Brigham Young and others in early Utah days. To know that this is considered the absolute pinnacle of the temple experience....

Sometimes I try to put all the pieces together again to feel like I used to about the temple, but I can’t “unsee” it.