GA Visit Review

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Anon70

GA Visit Review

Post by Anon70 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:34 pm

A GA has been visiting our area and was in my ward for a couple of weeks. Despite their being a clear program he asked to speak at the end of both meetings. We went over 10 minutes both weeks. Most of his remarks were telling unremarkable experiences about himself or his ancestors and then using those to highlight his own “amazing” testimony or how his ancestors did amazing things that led to him becoming the important guy he is today. He spoke in the sing-song typical GA voice.

A couple of interesting things (to me at least). None of the stories if just taken piece by piece were even remotely remarkable. They were experiences that anyone not Mormon would not even think twice about. He paused for effect many times and got caught up in emotion several times.

People were falling all over themselves talking about how spiritual he was and how inspiring it was to have him in our “midst”. Our bishop went on and on about how blessed we’d been by his presence. A missionary assigned to our ward got up and gave a talk (it was fast Sunday) actually called it a talk and then said I mean testimony and shared 2 scriptures and talked for 10 min after the bishop asked us to keep it brief-it felt like he was trying to capture the GAs attention or praise.

Being on this side of a faith crisis I was a bit incredulous. Like he didn’t say anything of substance or quality...but people were eating it up :(

jfro18

Re: GA Visit Review

Post by jfro18 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:54 pm

When you are so tightly wrapped into an organization you make yourself turn the ordinary into the extraordinary.

And so when a GA comes, you convince yourself that he brings an even bigger spirit with and that whatever he says is more important than anything you'll hear in person.

It's weird what we can convince ourselves to think and feel when we are trained to do so... we don't even realize it most of the time until long after we snap out of it.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:11 pm

Sounds like everyone is studying the Eyring technique. How could any human with a heart dare to question the sincerity of someone who is moved to such an emotional state of spirituality?

Lately I've been watching the "real tv" show, Cops.

Now that's a study in how a person can be caught on camera breaking the law and still, when the cops catch them, swear by God and all that is holy, through great big alligator tears that the police have the wrong guy. They do it over and over again. And they look SO SINCERE!!!

You begin to realize what people are truly capable of if they have a big enough reason for what they're doing.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:41 am

Blashyrkh wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:05 pm
We had some lady from some high position in the church come speak at our ward a few months ago. She told us some faith promoting stories from her youth. I became so bored/enraged at how ridiculously mundane the stories were that I stood up in the middle of the speech, grabbed my special needs son and used the excuse that he needed to take a walk. Talk about first world problems. She complained about having to work at 9am at a cookie store when she was a teenager and how only through prayer could she deal with customers at 9 freaking a.m. Not overcoming cancer, losing a family member or battling drug addiction. No waking up at 8 to go sell cookies. Good heavens I hate these people.
Wow, you’ve gotta be kidding. That’s just ridiculous. How does she think anyone who isn’t Mormon ever works a job where they have to deal with customers in the morning, sometimes even before 9?

I’d say her privilege was on full display. Some people never have the luxury of cushy cookie selling jobs that start that late in the morning.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:05 am

Palerider wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:11 pm
When our first child was born, we ended up watching a lot of "COPS". It's how where you can tun in easily and watch with little brainpower required, but is still oddly entertaining. As a joke to help us cope, we taught out son "put your hands where we can see them." Interesting how stuff sticks with you.

Interesting what stick out to you in life.
Last edited by Just This Guy on Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:25 am

It didn't happen to be Robert Gay did it? That GA's stories are the most unremarkable you can get.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:45 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:05 am
Palerider wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:11 pm
When our first child was born, we ended watching a lot of "COPS". It's how where you can tun in easily and watch with little brainpower required, but is still oddly entertaining.

Interesting what stick out to you in life.
Yes, I stand convicted of being so desperate to watch something that doesn't involve walking dead people that I have resorted to watching COPS.

It was either that or the BYU channel. At least with COPS you have a pretty good idea who the bad guys are. With BYU channel most everyone is lying.... :roll:
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:25 am

I remember having a GA visit my stake. I knew the guy indirectly because he was an institute teacher at the U of U prior.

I found his entire talk comical. It was theatrical: long pauses, gazing in the audience with a wistful stare, raising his voice in creschendo while raising up taller, etc. He was trying to provoke an emotional response from the audience. The guy was a "Man of GOD!" (if you asked those who watched).

I sat there an wondered, what in the world?