Nephite Interpreters

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
moksha

Re: Nephite Interpreters

Post by moksha » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:16 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:31 pm
Another thing that should probably be mentioned in this thread is that at some point, they began using the "Urim and Thummim" moniker for both the magic brown egg rock, and the magic pre-historic anachronistic spectacles.
The Old Testament Urim and Thummin was a breastplate with two yes/no stones attached via tassels. Spectacles were invented in 13th Century Italy by glassblowers who had discovered that a curved lens could help magnify objects.
I still want to know if it was really the hat that was magic. Anyone got any feelings that can lead them to such knowledge? :P
You mean like a hat that could sort maidens into House Smith, House Kimball, House Pratt, and House Young? "You could do marvelous things in House Young. No? Well, then to House Kimball with you!"
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:25 pm

Linked wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:34 am
Is there a CES Letter type summary that covers the harm done by the current church? Combining all the stuff that has been done in the last 30 years and that is ongoing now, like what you mention above. I think that would be amazing.
There would be a lot of nuance and/or weighting of the different areas depending on how you wanted to classify or illustrate what harm means, but it would be an interesting list for someone to put together.

Linked

Post by Linked » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:07 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:25 pm
Linked wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:34 am
Is there a CES Letter type summary that covers the harm done by the current church? Combining all the stuff that has been done in the last 30 years and that is ongoing now, like what you mention above. I think that would be amazing.
There would be a lot of nuance and/or weighting of the different areas depending on how you wanted to classify or illustrate what harm means, but it would be an interesting list for someone to put together.
Yeah, it would probably come off as an angry anti mormon list of claimed harms. I'm not sure how it could be summarized more objectively, if that is possible at all. I suppose putting a summary like that together in the first place is not objective... But the mormon church is objectively scandalous.

But a list of instances of deceit or covering up or behind the scenes political meddling, or obvious gaslighting, or talking out of both sides of their mouths, or clearly harming people, etc. Missed on Sunday is kind of up that alley. Several RFM episodes too. And Brother Jake.

- Mark Hoffman
- Ronald Poelman re-recording
- Paul H. Dunn
- Recent retractions for Jeff Holland and Russ Nelson stories as covered by RFM and Bill Reel
- Abuse cover-ups and hush money paid
- Stipend vs. no paid clergy
- Prop 8
- The history of the Proclamation on the Family (Hawaii gay marriage)
- Missions
- Money money money
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:01 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Another thing that should probably be mentioned in this thread is that at some point, they began using the "Urim and Thummim" moniker for both the magic brown egg rock, and the magic pre-historic anachronistic spectacles.
I think Joseph's followers added the embellishment of the Urim and Thummim translation device because they did not want people thinking Joseph just pulled the story out of his hat.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:06 pm

moksha wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:01 pm
wtfluff wrote:
I think Joseph's followers added the embellishment of the Urim and Thummim translation device because they did not want people thinking Joseph just pulled the story out of his hat.
Of course.

(Magic dice are so, so much better!)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

græy

Post by græy » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:55 am

wtfluff wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:06 pm
moksha wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:01 pm
Of course.

(Magic dice are so, so much better!)
:lol:
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack