Thought Experiment 1: Correct Faithful Worldview/Paradigm for BOA

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Evil_Bert

Re: Thought Experiment 1: Correct Faithful Worldview/Paradigm for BOA

Post by Evil_Bert » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:37 am

Ditto to what emower said. Don't play the victim to circumstances that you created.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:52 am

I would like to respectfully suggest that disagreements and understandings are not mocking and scorn. Please try to consider that you might be taking all of this way too personally. This is a group of people who have rejected, usually through a extensive, painful, exhausting, and well studied process, all or most of the tenets of Mormonism. That's all. They are unlikely to get excited about such a experiment. From our point of view, the opposite would be much more interesting as someone already suggested, to have believers do a thought experiment where they defend the point of view that the BoA is a fraud and present their evidence for that.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:31 pm

Also, here's a suggestion for a potentially better way to propose a thought experiment for this audience. Don't put too much burden on the participants, like requiring them to read pages and pages of explanation and requirements. That probably felt to many (based on responses to similar surprise visitors) more like you're more interested in trying to lead people into a logic mire than actually taking interest in their ideas. I didn't' have time to read it but I did my best to take a shot at trying to give a reasonable response only to find when I returned that you had redoted your posts (made-up-by-me word signifying a redaction performed by replacing a block of text with a period). My idea of a fun and engaging Einsteinian thought experiment is something like: what happens to your flashlight beam as you approach the speed of light?, or if the universe is expanding, what is it expanding into?

If you asked something like "Try to assume the role of a believer and construct a faithful explanation for the apparent disharmony between the Book of Abraham and the Hor papyrus" you would probably have had a much better response. Your insistence that this is an important experiment merely made people feel like it is important for YOU to get the results YOU want, rather than actually engaging people in joining the experiment for their own intellectual reasons. And then not calling them names if they don't respond as you would would like would help keep you from getting banned, unless that's what you're looking for. You gotta admit that a forum that lets you make statements like "I'm not your friend, you sons of bitches," without getting booted is pretty forgiving.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

ed123

Post by ed123 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:35 pm

Thanks for all that. Very good suggestions should I decide to continue on this track.