New WOW Video

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Just This Guy

Re: New WOW Video

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:37 am

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:34 am
Just This Guy wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:48 am
Thoughtful wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:56 pm
My mom said today that mild barley drinks meant postum. She didnt believe me when I said its talking about beer.
Considering Postum wasn't invented until half a century after the WOW was written, exactly what did it mean to the people in it's day? Also, what does your mom think about the fact that Wine is specifically allowed?
Regarding Postum: Exactly. Now we have anachronisms in the D&C! :D

Also hilarious: Postum is made from roasted wheat bran, wheat and molasses. No barley included.

What "mom" really meant was Pero; Which I highly doubt existed in the 1830's either...
So after Pero Is dis-proven, what will she come up with next? Good ol' movin' the goal posts...
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:27 am

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:34 am
Just This Guy wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:48 am
Thoughtful wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:56 pm
My mom said today that mild barley drinks meant postum. She didnt believe me when I said its talking about beer.
Considering Postum wasn't invented until half a century after the WOW was written, exactly what did it mean to the people in it's day? Also, what does your mom think about the fact that Wine is specifically allowed?
Regarding Postum: Exactly. Now we have anachronisms in the D&C! :D

Also hilarious: Postum is made from roasted wheat bran, wheat and molasses. No barley included.

What "mom" really meant was Pero; Which I highly doubt existed in the 1830's either...
This came up because I was drinking coffee to combat severe nausea due to medical procedure. I offered the parental units a sip because theyv sked how bitter it was and they were horrified. I told them to buy stock in Starbucks because change is coming and they thought I was being "silly". Anyway so I said beer is approved and she was so confused by that.

But as far as postum, she most likely means they made their own before postum was a commercial item. I think the reality of "hot drinks" ie temperature would rule that one out though! Oy vey. She also thinks little house on the prairie is nonfiction.

Random

Post by Random » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:55 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:27 am
She also thinks little house on the prairie is nonfiction.
Well, the books are nonfiction. They were written by the girl who lived them. The television series on the other hand, is very loosely based on the reality.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:08 pm

Random wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:55 pm
Thoughtful wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:27 am
She also thinks little house on the prairie is nonfiction.
Well, the books are nonfiction. They were written by the girl who lived them. The television series on the other hand, is very loosely based on the reality.
The books are historical fiction based loosely on a real family. Events, timelines, and details are fictional. It's was heavily influenced by Laura's daughter who was pushing a libertarian political platform. Laura wrote most of the narrative sections like "how to clean a gun" -but was never a successful writer of a plotline. Rose Wilder gave the stories plots roughly along general stories under her mother's name to help her realize her dream of being a story author. Laura did have a few professional writing gigs in how to type articles in magazines but was never able to publish a story before Rose intervened. The ages the Ingalls girls were in particular locations are also not historically accurate across the series. The distances from neighbors and civilization are dramatically overemphasized and so on. In libraries, it's generally shelved in the children's fiction area, not with memoirs or biography.

Random

Post by Random » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:28 pm

Interesting. I did not know that. I had all the books at one time (for my children), and I read a book about Laura's life. Nothing mentioned that her daughter was Laura's ghostwriter, nor that the experiences were fictional. Interesting. I may research this further to find out more about it.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

PK

Random

Post by Random » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:35 pm

A search yielded results saying that Rose had a heavy hand in editing the books, but that Laura was the one who wrote them (that would be the initial drafts). Apparently, her writing wasn't good enough for a publisher to want to sell the books, so Rose helped her. I think there's a difference between having a ghostwriter and having someone heavily edit something you wrote (speaking as an amateur author and as someone who has helped an author with editing a book).

PK

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:30 pm

Random wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:35 pm
A search yielded results saying that Rose had a heavy hand in editing the books, but that Laura was the one who wrote them (that would be the initial drafts). Apparently, her writing wasn't good enough for a publisher to want to sell the books, so Rose helped her. I think there's a difference between having a ghostwriter and having someone heavily edit something you wrote (speaking as an amateur author and as someone who has helped an author with editing a book).
There's a book out there that dives into this, Im trying to remember the name of it. It goes in depth how Rose inserted libertarian "rugged individualist" propaganda into the books while helping mom realize her dreams of being an author for children. If I recall it came out a decade or so ago, and was a hot topic among Laura-philes years before LHOTP started being widely censored for being racist. If I can remember the name, it would give you a detailed overview of the history behind the "history".

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:43 pm

Random wrote:
Initial draft, "pioneer girl" was an attempt at an adult targeted novel that tanked in publisher offices. Rose took over, rewrote them for children with Laura collaborating, and they sold. Making Laura famous, but Rose was a silent author or co author or ghostwriter because she had her own writing career in a different vein than kids books.

Check these books out:

1-Little House, Long Shadow
2-Constructing the Little House: Gender, Culture, and Laura Ingalls Wilder (this one discusses Laura and Rose as collaborators/joint authors.

Somewhere I remember reading that Rose even journaled in her diary about the pressure of writing moms children's novels for her, when she wanted to be writing her own books for adults. I'll keep looking for links.

Incidentally, LHOTP is Dewey decimal labeled in the 800s (literature). Biography is 900s.

Have fun with another rabbit hole!

Fifi de la Vergne

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:26 am

Thoughtful wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:43 pm
Random wrote:
Initial draft, "pioneer girl" was an attempt at an adult targeted novel that tanked in publisher offices. Rose took over, rewrote them for children with Laura collaborating, and they sold. Making Laura famous, but Rose was a silent author or co author or ghostwriter because she had her own writing career in a different vein than kids books.

Check these books out:

2-Constructing the Little House: Gender, Culture, and Laura Ingalls Wilder (this one discusses Laura and Rose as collaborators/joint authors.

Somewhere I remember reading that Rose even journaled in her diary about the pressure of writing moms children's novels for her, when she wanted to be writing her own books for adults. I'll keep looking for links.

Incidentally, LHOTP is Dewey decimal labeled in the 800s (literature). Biography is 900s.

Thoughtful, could you have been thinking of "Prairie Fires: The American Dreams of Laura Ingalls Wilder"?
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:20 pm

Fifi de la Vergne wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:26 am
Thoughtful wrote:
Random wrote:

Check these books out:

Thoughtful, could you have been thinking of "Prairie Fires: The American Dreams of Laura Ingalls Wilder"?
Will look it up and see, thanks for the tip.

Random

Post by Random » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:58 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Check these books out:

Thanks. They should help me figure it out.

:lol: :lol: Just when I think I'm getting close to reality in what I think and believe . . . another hole shows up, inviting me into it.

PK

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:34 pm

Random wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:58 pm
Thoughtful wrote:
Check these books out:

Thanks. They should help me figure it out.

:lol: :lol: Just when I think I'm getting close to reality in what I think and believe . . . another hole shows up, inviting me into it.
Some days, I think, "Whatever. If all these things can be based in fantasy, so can my life!"

What would you like to believe today? :lol:

Random

Post by Random » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:09 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:34 pm
Some days, I think, "Whatever. If all these things can be based in fantasy, so can my life!"

What would you like to believe today? :lol:
Seriously! I'm pretty much at the point of "choose your fantasy" because there are so many rabbit holes. And rabbit holes within rabbit holes.

PK