Gospel Topics Essay on Super Bowl XLII

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
felixfabulous

Gospel Topics Essay on Super Bowl XLII

Post by felixfabulous » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:39 am

Fans of the New England Patriots revere the team as one of the greatest football dynasties of all time. The many Super Bowl victories during the 2000s and 2010s help many fans to strengthen this conviction. Super Bowl victories inspire the fan base and are exciting markers of excellence, but the commitment to a sports team does not necessarily hinge on the number of Super Bowl victories.

Among the Super Bowl Championships of the Patriots are those from 2002, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2015, 2017 and 2019. Even though the majority of sports historians do not dispute these victories, a small number of critics point out some details about the Super Bowl XLII game which they claim call into question a victory by the Patriots.

Lifelong Patriots fans universally agree that the Patriots were victorious in 2008. At the end of his life, quarterback Tom Brady said: "In my view, we were champions in 2008." Numerous sources confirm that the Patriots had a perfect season going into the game and were a 12 point favorite. Independent newspaper clippings from the time clearly state that the Patriots were the first team to go undefeated since the 1972 Miami Dolphins. If the team was undefeated, it stands to reason that they also won the Super Bowl.

Some critics have presented photographs of the New York Giants team wearing caps and t-shirts claiming a Super Bowl victory. However, photographs from a week after the game have also emerged showing children in the nation of Liberia wearing t-shirts proclaiming the Patriots as Super Bowl champions. The majority of sports historians agree that determining victory based on this photographic evidence is problematic.

Other details point to a Patriots victory. For example, numerous historical sources confirm the Patriots led the game 14-10 with only 2:39 left in the 4th quarter of the game and the Giants on the 17 yard line. It seems very unlikely that the Giants (who finished the season with a 10-6 record) would be able to go 83 yards down the field and score with such little time remaining.

Although it is interesting to look at the historical puzzle of Super Bowl XLII, it is impossible to conclude that the Patriots did not win the game based on the historical data. Ultimately, the greatness of the New England Patriots cannot be determined by historical data and each Patriots fan must decide for his or herself if the Patriots are great.

1smartdodog

Re: Gospel Topics Essay on Super Bowl XLII

Post by 1smartdodog » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:12 am

I watched that game with my natural eyes. No magic rocks or spectacles in use. No spiritual visions employed.

They lost!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Linked

Post by Linked » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:53 pm

:lol:

This is fantastic!
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:32 pm

And herein lies the problem.

I'm not a big fan of football. But I love the game parties, the comraderi, the tailgate parties. Our family is together for Monday night football every week. And there's the promise that my spouse, children and I can be together forever if we keep attending and buying our tickets.

So I'm not sure I want to know who won Superbowl XLII. After all they're only human. Everyone makes mistakes. Who cares nowadays? Just keep watching the games and eating all that yummy comfort food. ;)
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:53 pm

This is good stuff! :lol:

And it makes me want to do a creative writing project making LDS Gospel Topics essays over things that we now know to be false (flat earth, we never landed on the moon, Harry Potter is a real story, etc).

I choose to believe the Patriots lost every Super Bowl though tbh... I just feel it in my loins.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:30 am

I recently wrote a journal entry based on my memory of that game. According to my recollection, while they were being presented the trophy, and while the photographs were being taken, the Patriots were transformed temporarily into the exact image of the Giants, indicating that God had declared the Giants the actual winners regardless of the earthly outcome of the game.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Ho Lee Turtle

Post by Ho Lee Turtle » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:40 am

Ah this new “defining doctrine” needs some apocryphal stories now to support it.

My great grandfather attended the game and while he was passing by the locker room one of the players on the winning team gave him their game jersey. After that, any time a family member touched the jersey before playing in a game of their own they were blessed with special abilities and always won, at least when they faithfully believed that they scored more points than the team they were playing. I know it’s because of the power that was in the jersey that this true and it is so faith promoting you our family to know this...

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:17 pm

I started playing American Football several months before my 15th birthday; however, I don’t play it anymore due to discovering I was deceived. I now believe soccer or football to be the true sport. I have a strong testimony that those who follow American Football follow Satan, as it is a branch from the true sport.
~2bizE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:29 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:30 am
I recently wrote a journal entry based on my memory of that game. According to my recollection, while they were being presented the trophy, and while the photographs were being taken, the Patriots were transformed temporarily into the exact image of the Giants, indicating that God had declared the Giants the actual winners regardless of the earthly outcome of the game.
Sadly, a first-hand journal entry of the magical transformation can't be reliable.

Your entry is written ~40 years to soon, and should be written by a relative twice, or thrice-removed. THEN it just might be believable.

;)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...