Former reporter Rod Decker's new book

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
FiveFingerMnemonic

Former reporter Rod Decker's new book

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:00 am

I started reading the sample kindle download. So far it is a pretty interesting read on Utah political history.

https://kutv.com/news/local/rod-decker- ... day-saints

Rod is an exmo.
Last edited by FiveFingerMnemonic on Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mormon 8

Re: Former reporter Rod Decker's new book

Post by Mormon 8 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:32 pm

Link's dead.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:44 pm

Mormon 8 wrote:Link's dead.
Thanks. They fixed a misspelling of Rod as "Rob" in the url. Link fixed.

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:13 pm

Rod Decker will be making a presentation on his book Utah Politics: The Elephant in the Room at the Sunstone Symposium on Thursday, August 1, at the Expo Center in Sandy.

BTW, the elephant in the room (from the book title) is the group once known as the Mormon Church. It now prefers to be called Even the Church of Jesus Christ. Members are to be called, Even Followers of Jesus Christ.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:49 am

I'm in Rod Decker's Sunstone session right now.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:27 pm

Hagoth wrote:I'm in Rod Decker's Sunstone session right now.
Was it interesting? I know Utah politics can be pretty easy to predict.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:11 pm

It was fascinating and very entertaining.

He talked about the radical swings in Utah politics and the behaviors of voters relative to the expectations of Mormon leadership, and how it has been primarily shaped by sex, or at least on the desire to control the sexual behaviors of others once the Mormon's radically deviant sexual behavior (polygamy) was quashed by the rest of the country.

He said that 80% of modern Mormons vote exactly as they believe their leaders want them to. He quoted someone who called current Mormons "dry wood" voters. They sit quietly until they get a spark from their leaders that sets them on fire. This was not the case in the first half of the 20th century. The church published a full page article on the front page of the Deseret News telling the membership NOT to vote for FDR. They voted for him overwhelmingly anyway. Same with the repeal of prohibition.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."