Slavery in Utah

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Spicy McHaggis

Slavery in Utah

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:40 am

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... r_more_of/

This is a post from Reddit. The chart shows the percentage of slaves in counties in 1860. There are so many awful parts of mormon history that slavery is often forgotten. Slaves were part of the first group who entered the Salt Lake Vally in July 1847. I've heard that some people paid tithing by giving slaves to the church or Brigham Young. BY sided with the south in the Civil War, probably for two reasons: 1-he was such an awful racist and 2-because he hated the US federal government.

On a side note, how many neighborhoods put up flags yesterday? I alway laugh on July 24 when so many Utah mormons turn it into a patriotic day and fly the US flag. Brig and the mormons absolutely hated the US government.

Palerider

Re: Slavery in Utah

Post by Palerider » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:13 pm

Spicy McHaggis wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:40 am
I alway laugh on July 24 when so many Utah mormons turn it into a patriotic day and fly the US flag. Brig and the mormons absolutely hated the US government.
Brigham had a "good thing" going exploiting all those naive converts coming from Europe. African Americans weren't the only people being enslaved. When destitute converts arrived in the hugely remote valley and saw the reality of Zion, they had three choices:

1. Get in line and continue to support King Brigham.

2. Keep quiet

3. Get the hell out of Dodge with even less than you arrived with.

Yeah, Brigham hated the U.S. Government alright because they were going to take all that away. The U.S. government is the greatest blessing Utah and the church ever received.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:47 pm

They generally don't mention that half of the handcarts pioneers moved on as soon as they could get out of debt to the church.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

græy

Post by græy » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:10 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:47 pm
They generally don't mention that half of the handcarts pioneers moved on as soon as they could get out of debt to the church.
I would love to read more about this. Do you have any good books/sources?
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:43 am

græy wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:10 pm
I would love to read more about this. Do you have any good books/sources?
Of course, I can't remember where I read this, so I hope I didn't make it up :D
It might be in this article by Will Bagley that tells the rest of the (disturbing) story:
https://user.xmission.com/~research/cen ... ndcart.pdf

Here's a brief review of Devil's Gate by David Roberts, in which he dispels many of the faith-promoting myths:
https://www.denverpost.com/2008/12/11/h ... hypocrisy/
And many of those who are aware of it see the experience as inspiring, as evidence of profound faith and divine intervention, according to Roberts. Not a single member of the handcart companies apostated, they claim.

The truth, however, is that the planning for the handcarts was bungled through stupidity and arrogance, and the result was a journey of such horror that many who lived through it could never talk about it. And yes, many of the survivors did desert the church.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."