Running out of post power--and interest...

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Rob4Hope

Running out of post power--and interest...

Post by Rob4Hope » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:32 am

Hello All,

I've been a community member here for a while, and just checked off one of my desires by attending some of the lectures at Sunstone. I asked Bill Reel in the hallway about his feelings toward the whole "LDS" thing; meaning, does he want to continue posting along those lines, and what is his interest level at this point. He was candid and said that he has, in many ways, moved on. I don't want to put words into his mouth, but that was interesting to me because I feel a similar feeling.

My understanding of the stages of faith is you move through them, almost exclusively in one direction, but there may be a little overlap as you move from one to another while you get through the transition. When I hit my stage 4 faith crisis,...I WAS PISSED! And, as I've continued to process through that, I've felt continued angst that required some form of outlet. Part of that outlet has been NOM; you are all my community, and people who I associate with--or would associate with if we all knew each other.

I've felt a change creeping on over time. I no longer feel that angst. When I look back on things, I feel sadness and loss because of so much time spent in TSCC; however, those feelings don't happen nearly as much, and they don't happen with as much pull. Having said that, I am also feeling less of a need to be as active in NOM; not because I don't enjoy the camaraderie and friendships, but because the subject matter, for me, is just not as interesting as it once was.

I know some of you know exactly what I'm saying. And I would be interested in your thoughts. But I guess what I'm saying is there is a chance I may be posting less and less as time passes. I feel as though I am growing out of the 'angst and pissed' stages of level 4 and moving into level 5 where I feel more peace and acceptance of things.

Thoughts?

2bizE

Re: Running out of post power--and interest...

Post by 2bizE » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:59 am

Rob,
I agree with you. Many of us are losing post interest. Many of us started on NOM a few years ago, and felt deceived by the church as the essays were published. As we moved through the faith transition, one of the key steps we passed through was a desire to share the ungospel with family and friends. We were deceived and we wanted people to also know they were deceived. The problem we didn’t see was the problem Elder Snow recently eluded to: that most members simply don’t care.
How can they not care? They are giving thousands of dollars to a false religion.
Well, many are too deceived to care. Maybe they will figure it out later. We’ve now moved to the phase where we just don’t care anymore about them. We like to share stories with our NOM group and get some support, but the NOMissionary effort is fading. The irony is that more people are leaving the church than ever before,I’m just not seeing it much where I live.
Last edited by 2bizE on Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~2bizE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:15 pm

Rob4Hope wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:32 am
Thoughts?
Consider yourself lucky.

I don't see a light at the end of my proverbial "tunnel."

Be happy, move on, check in here once in a while, or when the need arrises.

Party On!
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:33 pm

Congratulations. You have finally snatched the pebble from the master's hand and you are ready to move on.

btw, I was in and out of Sunstone and I kept an eye out for you. Glad you made it.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:14 pm

I feel my time is growing shorter, but I am still raring to go in terms of posting. There is a plethora of good topics and items of mental liberation to explore, plus it keeps me out of pool halls and reading Balzac.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:44 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:33 pm
Congratulations. You have finally snatched the pebble from the master's hand and you are ready to move on.

btw, I was in and out of Sunstone and I kept an eye out for you. Glad you made it.
I think I saw you there, but I don't think you saw me--was behind you on Friday during the day in one of the session. Were you in that RFM one?

Advocate

Post by Advocate » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:24 am

Just curious for those that feel that they are moving on (including OP), do you still attend on a regular basis?

For myself, I would love to move on but my wife enjoys attending and I don't see her wanting to stop anytime soon. I'd love to move on and be done because I came to my conclusion several years ago, but my marriage and children are more important to me than being right. So for me, NOM is a great place to discuss LDS issues with like-minded people.

BTW - I agree things have slowed down here. I generally don't post much anywhere on the internet, but have made a goal to post here a few times each week in hopes of keeping the place alive. :)

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:33 am

Advocate wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:24 am
Just curious for those that feel that they are moving on (including OP), do you still attend on a regular basis?

For myself, I would love to move on but my wife enjoys attending and I don't see her wanting to stop anytime soon. I'd love to move on and be done because I came to my conclusion several years ago, but my marriage and children are more important to me than being right. So for me, NOM is a great place to discuss LDS issues with like-minded people.

BTW - I agree things have slowed down here. I generally don't post much anywhere on the internet, but have made a goal to post here a few times each week in hopes of keeping the place alive. :)
I use to do the Sunday visits in Sandy Utah with a NOM group. Those were fun and served a social need,...but I've moved on. For me going over to a friends house and playing cards, or going on a long bike ride serve the purpose but add variety. Its a cross-roads....

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:55 pm

Rob4Hope wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:44 am
Were you in that RFM one?
Yeah. Good stuff.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:21 am

Advocate wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:24 am

My NOM-ish DH still wants to attend with the kids. At best though, they are only partly active. I have been able to avoid attending, but am willing if needed. I have fully embraced the ex-mo lifestyle, but am not "out" to all of my family members and friends. For now, I want it to stay that way. So I remain in limbo.

I stop by here once in a while, but don't post as much because I kind of don't have anything left to say. I am becoming more un-plugged from the LDS world. It is a beautiful oblivion and I wish all to receive it.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:29 pm

Being out and away from the Morcor, I like to come here for updates on the slow demise of the church. Some of the topics discussed aren't all that close to my heart so I don't comment on them when I feel I have little to offer.

About six weeks ago I was involved in a fairly traumatic horse accident which nearly put me on the other side of an NDE.

There's nothing like extreme and extended pain to focus the mind and tell you what's really important. ;)

I may not post as much as I have in the past but I enjoy coming here for the news and the education. Really appreciate this site.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

StarbucksMom

Post by StarbucksMom » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:47 am

Palerider wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:29 pm
Being out and away from the Morcor, I like to come here for updates on the slow demise of the church. Some of the topics discussed aren't all that close to my heart so I don't comment on them when I feel I have little to offer.

About six weeks ago I was involved in a fairly traumatic horse accident which nearly put me on the other side of an NDE.

There's nothing like extreme and extended pain to focus the mind and tell you what's really important. ;)

I may not post as much as I have in the past but I enjoy coming here for the news and the education. Really appreciate this site.
Palerider, wow I am so sorry to hear about your accident. I can’t even imagine. So glad you survived. I just wanted to say how much I have always appreciated your well written and thought out posts. I am one of what seems to be a minority here who came out of Mormonism with a solid belief in God/Christianity still intact. I have seen what I can’t explain as anything but the hand of God in my own life and others, I have been to the Holy Land and toured the sites as we studied the bible,(BYU study abroad, truly one of the greatest experiences of my life) and well...I just believe. Anyway, I hope and pray you make a full recovery and know that you have made a difference in my faith journey out of Mormonism.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:23 am

StarbucksMom wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:47 am
Palerider, wow I am so sorry to hear about your accident. I can’t even imagine. So glad you survived. I just wanted to say how much I have always appreciated your well written and thought out posts. I am one of what seems to be a minority here who came out of Mormonism with a solid belief in God/Christianity still intact. I have seen what I can’t explain as anything but the hand of God in my own life and others, I have been to the Holy Land and toured the sites as we studied the bible,(BYU study abroad, truly one of the greatest experiences of my life) and well...I just believe. Anyway, I hope and pray you make a full recovery and know that you have made a difference in my faith journey out of Mormonism.
[/quote]

Hey StarbucksMom,

Thanks so much for the sentiment.

I didn't have any "special" or what Mormons might term miraculous intercedings on my behalf. I truly believe some, if not most of the painful experiences we go through here aren't intended to be mitigated by the Lord but are meant to be endured. We come to know ourselves and others on a level that can be experienced in no other way.

Was I blessed by Heavenly Father?

Absolutely. Forty-two years ago when I met someone who would turn out to be the Angel of Mercy who was with me every step of the way for the past six weeks of pure hell. My wife has been and always will be the greatest blessing of my life. I owe her so much. ♥️

For me it's similar as yourself. I just feel God there, even when I wish I was a little closer.

So glad you're still intact as well. Hang in there. ;)
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:50 am

Palerider,

I too have enjoyed your posts over the years. Hope all is well and you can get back in the saddle.

Starbucks Mom,

I think there are many of us who hold to a belief in God and Christianity but just don’t wear it on our sleeves like we did with Mormonism. I’m too intellectually lazy to completely give up on God because I can’t prove he/she/it does or doesn’t exist. So I believe in humanity and the sense that something greater exists. I’m cool with not knowing the details and cool with finding the humor in it.

Rob4Hope,

You’ll always be here buddy. You can’t ever leave because you’re a slave to your mind and thoughts and you’ll be back to discuss something here at the NOM ward building.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:22 pm

Sending healing thought vibrations and scenic image chakras your way, Palerider!

... plus it keeps me out of pool halls and from reading Balzac.
Yeah, like you would actually read Balzac. :roll:
You are too busy reading the works of Hagoth, Red Ryder, and Corsair!!!
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:47 am

I still feel like I am in the thick of it. Not out to enough family yet, still waiting for a son to return from a mission, another son deciding when to go etc., but I feel a constant anxiety with Mormon stuff. Its become kind of toxic to me, I think causing some health issues to boot. So I have scaled way back on my involvement here.

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:05 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:50 am
Rob4Hope,

You’ll always be here buddy. You can’t ever leave because you’re a slave to your mind and thoughts and you’ll be back to discuss something here at the NOM ward building.
Probably.

I guess I'm also running out of things to say. I check back in like those above because...well,...part of me looks with wonder on the slow demise of TSCC. It affects me directly because I work 2 blocks away from Temple Square.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:53 am

slavereeno wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:47 am
I still feel like I am in the thick of it. Not out to enough family yet, still waiting for a son to return from a mission, another son deciding when to go etc., but I feel a constant anxiety with Mormon stuff. Its become kind of toxic to me, I think causing some health issues to boot. So I have scaled way back on my involvement here.
No dude, you’re supposed to come here and let it out! That relieves the anxiety! Trust me.

We should get together again for lunch!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:12 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:53 am
slavereeno wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:47 am
No dude, you’re supposed to come here and let it out! That relieves the anxiety! Trust me.

I'll try to keep poking in to see what is up. I will say one thing though about the TSCC demis; its REALLY NICE to visit the movie theaters on Sunday and have so many seat choices! But I've noticed over the last several years that more and more people are visiting the theaters on Sunday. The grip the LDS church has on people, in some ways, is changing, even in the morcoridor.

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:30 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:53 am

DS comes home from his mission this week. This has caused a lot more anxiety to me than I would have suspected. A lot more. Maybe I start another thread about it later today. I do feel like this place has been a great place to vent.