Green tea is officially bad for you, against WoW

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
blazerb

Re: Green tea is officially bad for you, against WoW

Post by blazerb » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:32 am

I think the article is misleading. It says:
Medical uses are being studied, but just like many pain medications such as opioids, marijuana is an addictive substance.
I checked with the CDC, https://www.cdc.gov/marijuana/faqs/mari ... ction.html, which says:
Is it possible for someone to become addicted to marijuana?
Yes, about 1 in 10 marijuana users will become addicted. For people who begin using younger than 18, that number rises to 1 in 6.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the percentage of users of opioids susceptible to addiction is significantly higher than 10% or even 17%. Marijuana addiction would probably be about as prevalent as alcoholism if marijuana were legalized throughout the US, it looks to me.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:42 pm

blazerb wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:32 am
Medical uses are being studied, but just like many pain medications such as opioids, marijuana is an addictive substance.
I checked with the CDC, https://www.cdc.gov/marijuana/faqs/mari ... ction.html, which says:
Yes, about 1 in 10 marijuana users will become addicted. For people who begin using younger than 18, that number rises to 1 in 6.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the percentage of users of opioids susceptible to addiction is significantly higher than 10% or even 17%. Marijuana addiction would probably be about as prevalent as alcoholism if marijuana were legalized throughout the US, it looks to me.
I'm not sure. I live in a state with massive opioid problems. My discharge paperwork from my recent medical procedure said addiction isn't likely if taken as directed. "As directed" means on a set schedule with limited refills.

Mormon 8

Post by Mormon 8 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:57 pm

TSCC is against medical marijuana because it has stock in big pharma. The WOW is a joke - members can drink soda and energy drinks out the yin yang until they get diabetes, heart arrhythmia, obesity, depletion of bone density, teeth problems, etc. while coffee and tea are prohibited, both of which are loaded with antioxidants and other health benefits. Joseph Smith just came up with it as an additive to his newly created religion.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:27 pm

Mormon 8 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:57 pm
TSCC is against medical marijuana because it has stock in big pharma.
But to hedge their bets they bought stock in a company that makes synthetic THC and post hoc modified the proposition we voted for to conform to the specific product they produce. Medical marijuana ain't so bad in God's eyes if WE can profit from it.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:31 pm

There is no better example that I can find of just how clueless the Q15 are about their own scripture and doctrine than the WoW.
The main thing they will say about cannabis and the WoW is that it is "addictive". And just for the sake of argument lets take the CDC's figure of 1 in 10 as a measure of how addictive it might be. Then lets ask how many out of 10 might be addicted to caffeine or to sugar? Does 1 in 10 seem too far fetched for addiction to sugar and/or caffeinated soft drinks? And if so, why are we now okay with cold sugar-laden or artificially sweetened caffeine, but not brewed plant infusions of caffeine whether cold or hot? They cannot be consistent, which by extension is asking us to have faith in a god who is not consistent.

But that is a mild thing compared to their inability to be relevant. And I would like to suggest the D&C 89 does contain some words that are actually relevant.
D&C 89:4 wrote: Behold, verily, thus saith the Lord unto you: In consequence of evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days, I have warned you, and forewarn you, by giving unto you this word of wisdom by revelation
Of all the things the WoW actual revelation says, this is the one thing that seems to actually be proven - that "evils and designs . . . do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men". Tobacco executives of the past decades, I'm looking at you. Warnings about the fact that there are people who will allow great harm to others in pursuit of the almighty dollar are as true now as they ever were.

So why the he!! doesn't THIS inform the church's stand on cannabis, rather than the prejudices of a bunch of over-venerated men? Here is what I am getting at. The best argument I have heard against decriminalizing recreational use of cannabis goes thus: what the growing cannabis industry is selling is not the relatively innocuous natural plant product, but is rather something that has been manipulated to have a far higher THC content. Not only that, but the favored market of this industry is disadvantaged young people. Kids of the slums and the ghettos. So might verse 4 apply? Might tscc actually have something relevant to teach its members, and to add to the public discourse they cannot seem to keep out of? They just might be able to score point on both the left and the right of their (in)famous bubble chart (see below), by actually trying to do some good while also being more meaningfully informed by their own foundational scripture.

Link to the bubble chart on Mormon Stories https://www.mormonstories.org/podcast/h ... q12-think/
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:39 pm

1smartdodog wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:24 pm
The rules against coffee and tea will be gone within 10 years. They just won’t hold up to modern thinking and science.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm going to disagree with you here, OSD. I think they'll readily choose ticky tacky obedience over science any day. The church is nothing if not a cult of obedience which TBMs love to demonstrate in pharisaic ways. Defying science just provides more seeming significance to the rule keeping.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:10 pm

The Word of Wisdom is the dumbest of all Mormon doctrines... it's certainly not the "Worst" doctrine, but it is without question the dumbest.

It's not a health code - the Word of Wisdom is an obedience code.

It's stupid.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:52 am

blazerb wrote:
Let's be real here: Even if marijuana is as addicting as this statement from the CDC claims, it is NOWHERE NEAR as damaging in it's "addiction" as heroin or other illegal drugs, or opioids or other "legal" drugs, or even alcohol for that matter.

If you live in the Morcor, you are likely one or two steps away from knowing someone who has died from opiods, or you are at least one or two steps away from someone who is addicted to opiods or prescription meds.

How many people do you know of who have died from "marijuana addiction?"
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:13 pm

blazerb wrote:
I'd bet money that diet coke is the same addiction level and MJ. Or, let's look at sugar in general, much more addictive that pot! There's about 10% of the population that is genetically predisposed to addiction of some type or other. In terms of pure addictive qualities, legal drugs are way more worse on the spectrum of addiction and harmful side effects.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:04 pm

IIRC last time I went a Googling for research on how addictive MJ is, the source that seemed most useful and credible had it even with caffeine. Which is what I was going for in my post, but from a more anecdotal intuitive direction.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:57 am

JesusHugGreenTea.jpg
JesusHugGreenTea.jpg (65.2 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE