Shift in direction of church giveaways

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Shift in direction of church giveaways

Post by Hagoth » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:33 am

What does it say that the church is handing out free Bibles instead of BoMs now? It's the first thing that pops up when I search for anything with the forbidden word "Mormon," and it's under the url comeuntochrist.org. You have to do quite a bit of scrolling to get a clue about who wants to give you this free Bible.

Is this pure bait-and-switch or is it a siign of the church trying to distance itself from itself?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Red Ryder

Re: Shift in direction of church giveaways

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:40 am

It’s master bait and switch.

I google new order Mormon to come here and see the same ads.

I think the distancing will come when the Bible is held up in higher regard than the BOM. We will know that has happened when the kiddie baptism pictures reflect the 8 year old kid holding a bible instead of a BOM.

“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:50 am

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:33 am
... a siign of the church trying to distance itself from itself?
Haha, brilliant!

The Church of The Church... Trying to distance itself from itself.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:08 am

They did say they wanted to get away from Mormon... didn't they?

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:28 pm

Bible media referrals were quite popular in the southern US on my mission in the 90s. We gave out a lot of generic KJV bibles with the red highlighted "jesus quotes".

Bait and switch to first discussion.

Mackman

Post by Mackman » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:35 pm

The church can change its tactics and you put lipstick on a pig but in the end it's still a pig !!!!!

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:00 pm

My guess is they are trying to adapt their marketing for changing perspectives.

Mormonism is not the shining beacon of goodness that it was in the late 90's, early 2000's. In many ways, people's opinion of Mormonism had dropped significantly and the idea that Mormon's are not Christain has come back with a vengeance in the public eye.

If the BOM is not taken seriously, try to hook them with The Bible. The old Build-on-Common-Beliefs sales tactics.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:17 pm

Looks like they're bending as low as the JWs and other cultish wannabe religions.

I've noticed the JWs do the same thing in their advertising. Try to get you hooked before you find out who you're really dealing with.

Doesn't this really signify an organization that is covertly ashamed that they can't come directly at their target audience without scaring them off?
Aren't Mormons the ones that say to foreign countries that "We always go through the front door. We never try to slip in the back"???
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:34 am

Free Bibles ain't nothin' here in the south.

Churches around here are holding back to school bashes with jupiter jumps and carnival games and backpacks full of school supplies- and that pales in comparison to the fall festivals they put on with food and games, then the free Thanksgiving turkeys, and Christmas parties with drawings for bicycles, then Easter egg hunts with more jupiter jumps and giveaways. Did I mention end of school bashes and summer bible camp at the lake with jet-skis and zip lines? My kids come home from school year round with fliers from local churches advertising cook outs and festivals.

Mormons seriously need to step up their game if they want to keep the young families.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:37 pm

Palerider wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:17 pm
Doesn't this really signify an organization that is covertly ashamed that they can't come directly at their target audience without scaring them off?
That's the vibe I'm getting.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:58 am

crossmyheart wrote:Free Bibles ain't nothin' here in the south.

Churches around here are holding back to school bashes with jupiter jumps and carnival games and backpacks full of school supplies- and that pales in comparison to the fall festivals they put on with food and games, then the free Thanksgiving turkeys, and Christmas parties with drawings for bicycles, then Easter egg hunts with more jupiter jumps and giveaways. Did I mention end of school bashes and summer bible camp at the lake with jet-skis and zip lines? My kids come home from school year round with fliers from local churches advertising cook outs and festivals.

Mormons seriously need to step up their game if they want to keep the young families.
Sounds more like Mormonism of 1975. It was a fun time back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison