Renlund at BYU

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
blazerb

Renlund at BYU

Post by blazerb » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:47 am

So, reddit took me to this article: https://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/ ... 433f2.html. Elder Renlund told employees of BYU that they need to avoid sowing doubt among the students. The quote that hit me was this one:
He warned employees against being cynical, skeptical or sowing the seeds of doubt among students. He said no student should be uncertain if an employee is devoted to Christ, the church or the church’s leaders.
So, church leaders are supposed to be given our devotion? That is dangerous. It's clear Renlund just wants to perpetuate the power of those at the top.

Yobispo

Re: Renlund at BYU

Post by Yobispo » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:05 am

The holy Trinity in Mormonism: "Christ, the church and the church's leaders"

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:45 am

I agree with Elder Renlund. BYU should be cranking out future tithe payers. Leave that critical thinking stuff to places like the University of Utah. BYU students need to remain pure and obedient to the teachings of Church leaders. When leaders say jump, BYU students should respond, "how high?" Let the heathens at the UofU discuss the physics of jumping or the need to comply. At BYU, you obey, pray, and pay.

BTW, BYU vs Utah, Thursday, August 29th 8 PM ESPN.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Arcturus

Post by Arcturus » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:51 am

Yobispo wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:05 am
The holy Trinity in Mormonism: "Christ, the church and the church's leaders"
Doesn't Brother Joseph deserve a spot here?
“How valuable is a faith that is dependent on the maintenance of ignorance? If faith can only thrive in the absence of the knowledge of its origins, history, and competing theological concepts, then what is it we really have to hold on to?”
D Brisbin

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:59 am

So is he talking to everyone here?
Faculty, administration and janitors?

Who is this really aimed at?

I'm thinking this "don't doubt your doubts" movement is permeating every aspect of the church.....as it well should. 8-)
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:27 am

blazerb wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:47 am
He warned employees against being cynical, skeptical or sowing the seeds of doubt among students. He said no student should be uncertain if an employee is devoted to Christ, the church or the church’s leaders.
So, church leaders are supposed to be given our devotion? That is dangerous. It's clear Renlund just wants to perpetuate the power of those at the top.
This is the problem writ large. A devotion to Jesus is simply not enough. A thorough devotion to Joseph Smith and his authorized successors is also a critical assertion.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:32 am

Joseph Smith sure enjoyed the devotion that early church women had for the leader, so I guess I can't expect current leaders to realize that the unhealthiness of it is a reason to stop demanding it.

But devotion to a bunch of old dudes can lead people to do some really scary and harmful things... and has repeatedly in the past.

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:31 am

In corporate America the most difficult companies to work for are those that discourage dissent. These companies also tend to have the most problems.

It does not surprise me the Corporation of the President acts in the same manner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:16 am

1smartdodog wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:31 am
In corporate America the most difficult companies to work for are those that discourage dissent. These companies also tend to have the most problems.

It does not surprise me the Corporation of the President acts in the same manner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The problems have been evident for a long time. I just never paid attention. The culture of the "yes-man" is toxic.