Russell M. Nelson Birthday Bash

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
blazerb

Re: Russell M. Nelson Birthday Bash

Post by blazerb » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:44 pm

Emower wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:41 pm
I always just assumed that basically yes, God did hate them (at least Hunter). I was taught that they must have had some minor role to play, and then God got rid of them (sorry, "called them home") to make way for the person who was foreordained to make the real changes and leadership. This only served to solidify and increase the worship I had for Hinkley.
I was quite sure that Harold Lee was smitten because of his racism. Of course that did not make sense. God needed to speak to Brigham to prevent the racist teachings that took hold.

The advertisement the church emailed said RMN's party was to celebrate the impact of the Savior in his life. It was so obvious that the Savior had little to do with it. Christ's effect in lives would be demonstrated in a million ways in a billion people.

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:42 pm

2bizE wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:36 am
I just invented a rumor that Aunt Wendy and Sherri Dew were serving Hors d'oeuvres to the guests at the party. Any validity in that?
I heard they had the whole thing catered by the Dead Goat Saloon. Triple cheeseburgers, onion rings, and pitchers of Pabst Blue Ribbon. Of course for the crowd out front, there was the sight of the First Presidency staying up way past their normal bedtime.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:28 pm

Tired of the humble brag. So tired of people bragging about their missions, missionaries, temple wed kids, grand kids...but there is no evidence that it is going to stop any time soon.

When's the last time you bumped into a friend who you know was a mission president? He can't wait to tell you he was a mission president. Dripping with "humble" pride. Geesh.

Same ol' same ol'.

The thing is- why would God's "mouth piece on earth" feel the need to allow this to happen? Doesn't get enough attention as it is? Sorry folks, but this is not the sign of the "one and only true church".

Maybe he thought if the attendees were down town Salt Lake they'd do a little shopping. You think?

"Let's go shopping!" was the beginning of my exit from the church. Made me sick. Still does.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell