Russell M. Nelson Birthday Bash

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
moksha

Russell M. Nelson Birthday Bash

Post by moksha » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:51 pm

SALT LAKE CITY - A packed Conference Center in downtown Salt Lake City came alive with the sounds of music Friday night as thousands of Latter-day Saints gathered to celebrate the 95th birthday of their president-prophet, Russell M. Nelson.

Nielsen and co-host Ruth Todd, a former TV news anchor, ticked off Nelson’s breathless schedule during his first 19 months at the helm of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. “He has traveled over 90,000 miles, visited 28 countries, met with more than 100 world and religious leaders, visiting every continent except Antarctica,” they said in alternating readings.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/0 ... ay-saints/
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

blazerb

Re: Russell M. Nelson Birthday Bash

Post by blazerb » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:13 am

moksha wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:51 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A packed Conference Center in downtown Salt Lake City came alive with the sounds of music Friday night as thousands of Latter-day Saints gathered to celebrate the 95th birthday of their president-prophet, Russell M. Nelson.

Nielsen and co-host Ruth Todd, a former TV news anchor, ticked off Nelson’s breathless schedule during his first 19 months at the helm of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. “He has traveled over 90,000 miles, visited 28 countries, met with more than 100 world and religious leaders, visiting every continent except Antarctica,” they said in alternating readings.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/0 ... ay-saints/
"We thank thee, O Prophet, for God."

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:05 am

Talk about ego stroking.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:36 am

Their adoration is touching.

“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:32 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:36 am
OK, that was a bit harsh, but that is what the last big prophet's birthday bash reminded me of. I recognize that a lot of people sincerely love Pres. Nelson and that they are motivated more by feelings of admiration than fear. Some of us can no longer see authority figures in that way.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:49 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:32 am
Hagoth wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:36 am
OK, that was a bit harsh, but that is what the last big prophet's birthday bash reminded me of. I recognize that a lot of people sincerely love Pres. Nelson and that they are motivated more by feelings of admiration than fear. Some of us can no longer see authority figures in that way.
Here are a few of the adjectives I found that describe a humble or unassuming individual.

Modest, self-effacing, meek, mild, retiring, demure, restrained, reserved, reticent, diffident, unobtrusive, unostentatious....

At the pulpit I would expect a true prophet of God to be fearless in communicating God's word.

I would expect his private life to be just that. Private.
Somehow I can't see Peter or Paul having a lavish, ego stroking, birthday bash on the church's dime.

It just comes across as crass and sycophantic.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:25 pm

I have been surprised by the number of TBMs that roll their eyes about RMN. There are, of course, those that are adoring but I’ve heard a lot of critical comments about his sexism and his new policies (especially the name of the church). I waffle between hoping he lasts a long time and keeps annoying people or passes away fairly soon so Oaks can show the church how truly small minded he is. I anticipate a lot of drama when Oaks is in charge and I don’t think the younger TBMs will stay put for it.

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:05 pm

And God almighty looked down from the heavens and said “You know, there’s a ton of crap going on in the world, and there are a lot of people suffering, but what I really, really want is for my prophet and mouthpiece to blow a lot of my Church’s money throwing himself a huge birthday celebration. After all, Christ was always throwing himself celebrations to bask in the adulation of his followers.”

And waking in the middle of the night in response to this divine communication, President Russell M. Nelson cried out “Wendy, it’s happening! I need you to leave the bedroom posthaste!”
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Brent

Post by Brent » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:19 am

I was working in the lab, late one night
When my eyes beheld a spiritual sight
For my leader from his slab, began to rise
And suddenly to my surprise
He did the bash, he did the birthday bash
The birthday bash, it was an idolatrous smash
He did the bash, it caught on in a flash
From my laboratory in the valley east
To the master bedroom where the syncophants feast
The minions all came from their humble abodes
To get a jolt from a 95 year old
They did the bash, they did the birthday bash
The birthday bash, it was a boot licking smash
They did the bash, it caught on in a flash
The missionaries were having fun, the party had just begun
The guests included Eyring, Oaks and his son
The scene was rockin', all were digging the sounds
Shari on chains, backed by her baying hounds
The coffers were about to be filled
By a vocal group, 'The September Nine'
They played the bash, they played the birthday bash
They played the bash, it caught on in a flash
Out from his coffin', Joseph`s voice did ring
Seems he was troubled by just one thing
He opened the lid and shook his fist and said
"Whatever happened to my Teeny Bopping Twist?
It's now the bash, it's now the birthday bash
The monster bash, it was syncophant smash
It's now the bash, it caught on in a flash
It's now the bash, it's now the bithday bash
Now everything's cool, Joe's a part of the band
And my Birthday Bash is the hit of the land
For you, the heathen this bash was meant too
When you get to my door, tell them Brigham sent you
Then you can bash, then you can birthday bash
The birthday bash and do my suck up smash
Then you can bash, you'll catch on in a flash
Bash good!
Easy, Bednar, you impetuous young boy
Bash good! Grrr!

Brent

Post by Brent » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:21 am

I was working in the lab, late one night
When my eyes beheld a spiritual sight
For my leader from his slab, began to rise
And suddenly to my surprise
The birthday bash, it was an idolatrous smash
He did the bash, it caught on in a flash
From my laboratory in the valley east
To the master bedroom where the syncophants feast
The minions all came from their humble abodes
To get a jolt from a 95 year old
They did the bash, it caught on in a flash
The missionaries were having fun, the party had just begun
The guests included Eyring, Oaks and his son
The scene was rockin', all were digging the sounds
Shari on chains, backed by her baying hounds
The coffers were about to be filled
By a vocal group, 'The September Nine'
They played the bash, it caught on in a flash
Out from his coffin', Joseph`s voice did ring
Seems he was troubled by just one thing
He opened the lid and shook his fist and said
"Whatever happened to my Teeny Bopping Twist?
It's now the bash, it's now the birthday bash
The monster bash, it was syncophant smash
It's now the bash, it caught on in a flash
It's now the bash, it's now the bithday bash
Now everything's cool, Joe's a part of the band
And my Birthday Bash is the hit of the land
For you, the heathen this bash was meant too
When you get to my door, tell them Brigham sent you
The birthday bash and do my suck up smash
Then you can bash, you'll catch on in a flash
Bash good!
Easy, Bednar, you impetuous young boy
Bash good! Grrr!

*apologies to Bobby Pickett

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:49 am

Brent wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:19 am
I was working in the lab, late one night...
Hilarious, Brent!!

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:53 am

Anon70 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:25 pm
I have been surprised by the number of TBMs that roll their eyes about RMN.
I've seen a little bit of that, more mostly I've seen people gush about what an amazing force of revelation he is, as evidenced by such earthshaking proclamations as shorter meetings and slightly less sexist language in the temple. One of the main evidences that he is a prophet seems to be that he's so old, yet he still travels all over the world. No ordinary human being could do that!

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:31 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:53 am
Anon70 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:25 pm
I have been surprised by the number of TBMs that roll their eyes about RMN.
I've seen a little bit of that, more mostly I've seen people gush about what an amazing force of revelation he is, as evidenced by such earthshaking proclamations as shorter meetings and slightly less sexist language in the temple. One of the main evidences that he is a prophet seems to be that he's so old, yet he still travels all over the world. No ordinary human being could do that!
He is remarkably healthy and strong for a 95yo. I am impressed at how healthy Oaks is too. He could live another 10 years 😂

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:29 pm

Anon70 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:31 am
He is remarkably healthy and strong for a 95yo. I am impressed at how healthy Oaks is too. He could live another 10 years 😂
My wife showed me some highlights of the program this morning and he really is a pretty impressive guy in many ways. Come to think of it, my wife is also a very impressive person. I hope the church gives her a party like that for her next birthday! I know I can't afford it.

Yobispo

Post by Yobispo » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:26 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:29 pm
Anon70 wrote:
My wife showed me some highlights of the program this morning and he really is a pretty impressive guy in many ways. Come to think of it, my wife is also a very impressive person. I hope the church gives her a party like that for her next birthday! I know I can't afford it.
My old Mission Prez, who looooves to name-drop, is a SLC temple worker now and bumps into Russ on occasion. More than once he's told me that Nelson does the stairs 2 steps at a time, every time, up the spiral staircases, while his monster body guard lags behind. I believe the story is true, even though the idol worship is yucky. Nelson is a remarkably healthy man for his age. But I also remember when 5 minutes ago (or so it seems) he was just another boring conference speaker of no particular interest.

They could put Homer Simpson up there as the next prophet and the TBMs would all start dying their skin cartoon-yellow and eating pink donuts to show how much they love their prophet.

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:01 am

Yobispo wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:26 am
Hagoth wrote:
Anon70 wrote:
My old Mission Prez, who looooves to name-drop, is a SLC temple worker now and bumps into Russ on occasion. More than once he's told me that Nelson does the stairs 2 steps at a time, every time, up the spiral staircases, while his monster body guard lags behind. I believe the story is true, even though the idol worship is yucky. Nelson is a remarkably healthy man for his age. But I also remember when 5 minutes ago (or so it seems) he was just another boring conference speaker of no particular interest.

They could put Homer Simpson up there as the next prophet and the TBMs would all start dying their skin cartoon-yellow and eating pink donuts to show how much they love their prophet.
I wish members would quit acting like it is so miraculous that President Nelson is so active in his 90s. I lived through years of President Benson being completely incapacitated - did God drop the ball on that one? And did he really hate Howard W. Hunter or something, because he sure didn't get a chance to have much on an impact. Sure, some of the Church presidents have been spry in their old age, but not all of them. Besides, the whole system is set up to ensure that whoever makes it to President has lived a long time - I mean really, when you have a system where top dog is determined by who has been around the longest, anyone limited in longevity gets weeded out decades before they even get a shot at the top. It isn't surprising that the President of the Church is extremely old - the way the system is set up pretty much ensures it. Add to that the excellent health care they receive, and there's nothing miraculous about it.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:36 am

I just invented a rumor that Aunt Wendy and Sherri Dew were serving Hors d'oeuvres to the guests at the party. Any validity in that?
Last edited by 2bizE on Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~2bizE

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:39 am

At my work when it is your birthday the owner buys a cake and we sit around in the office and eat it. All five of us. I find it quite satisfactory as a celebration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Emower

Post by Emower » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:41 pm

Yobispo wrote:
But I also remember when 5 minutes ago (or so it seems) he was just another boring conference speaker of no particular interest.
This really gets me. Everyone in the 12 is just kind of amazing, until they make it past the velvet finish line when suddenly their whole life acquires a platinum sheen. But even now the standard for how amazing the 12 are is being raised since I was a kid able to pay attention.
Not Buying It wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:01 am
I lived through years of President Benson being completely incapacitated - did God drop the ball on that one? And did he really hate Howard W. Hunter or something, because he sure didn't get a chance to have much on an impact. Sure, some of the Church presidents have been spry in their old age, but not all of them.

I always just assumed that basically yes, God did hate them (at least Hunter). I was taught that they must have had some minor role to play, and then God got rid of them (sorry, "called them home") to make way for the person who was foreordained to make the real changes and leadership. This only served to solidify and increase the worship I had for Hinkley.

Yobispo

Post by Yobispo » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:04 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:01 am
Yobispo wrote:
Hagoth wrote:

I wish members would quit acting like it is so miraculous that President Nelson is so active in his 90s. I lived through years of President Benson being completely incapacitated - did God drop the ball on that one? And did he really hate Howard W. Hunter or something, because he sure didn't get a chance to have much on an impact. Sure, some of the Church presidents have been spry in their old age, but not all of them. Besides, the whole system is set up to ensure that whoever makes it to President has lived a long time - I mean really, when you have a system where top dog is determined by who has been around the longest, anyone limited in longevity gets weeded out decades before they even get a shot at the top. It isn't surprising that the President of the Church is extremely old - the way the system is set up pretty much ensures it. Add to that the excellent health care they receive, and there's nothing miraculous about it.
You and your damn common sense & facts...