Four-year seminary graduation required for foreign missions

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
acmeist

Four-year seminary graduation required for foreign missions

Post by acmeist » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:16 am

Another board brought to my attention that graduation from seminary is required for anyone to be considered for a foreign mission. Does anyone know more about this protocol? It doesn't surprise me, but I wonder how members feel about that. When I was active, it was usually stressed that foreign missions or stateside missions didn't matter and one wasn't better than the other in terms or prestige or righteousness. This requirement though seems to not support that idea completely. Is this an unwritten rule? Thanks to anyone with further insight.

alas

Re: Four-year seminary graduation required for foreign missions

Post by alas » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:36 am

acmeist wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:16 am
Another board brought to my attention that graduation from seminary is required for anyone to be considered for a foreign mission. Does anyone know more about this protocol? It doesn't surprise me, but I wonder how members feel about that. When I was active, it was usually stressed that foreign missions or stateside missions didn't matter and one wasn't better than the other in terms or prestige or righteousness. This requirement though seems to not support that idea completely. Is this an unwritten rule? Thanks to anyone with further insight.
I think the reason for it is that a foreign mission is harder and often more expensive, and they only want to send the kids who are most church broke. Even back when my brothers went (67 & 69) went it was a requirement/strong suggestion. I think if no seminary was unavailable in the area it could be an exception, but especially for kids out of Utah, it was required, or at least preference was given. If a kid has made it through four years of seminary, theoretically it shows more commitment to the church, or dictator parents. So, they are more likely to stick it out in Europe where nobody is interested.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:33 am

I went overseas in the early 70's and only had three years of seminary. This is the first I've heard of the policy.
But then I'm in the dark about a lot of things. ;)
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Ho Lee Turtle

Post by Ho Lee Turtle » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:46 am

I was told that there are some foreign countries that will only allow missionaries to preach publicly that have completed a seminary training program before they can be religious ministers in their country. Don’t know if that’s true or not, but does make some sense.

Little do they realize that LDS seminary is nothing like the seminary that other religions put their pastors/ministers through before they start preaching the word.

alas

Post by alas » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:40 pm

Ho Lee Turtle wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:46 am
I was told that there are some foreign countries that will only allow missionaries to preach publicly that have completed a seminary training program before they can be religious ministers in their country. Don’t know if that’s true or not, but does make some sense.

Little do they realize that LDS seminary is nothing like the seminary that other religions put their pastors/ministers through before they start preaching the word.
Now that you mention it, I have heard this before. But is the rule about seminary for all foreign missions, or just the ones with this requirement?

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:21 pm

Ho Lee Turtle wrote:
This is what we were told when our son got called to a foreign mission.

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:46 pm

Went to a foreign mission late 70s. No seminary at all even though it was available through released time (morcor).
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:05 am

In other words, if you want to go to a cool, exotic place you better pay your dues and demonstrate your devotion.

Mark my words, in a few years seminary graduation will become a worthiness requisite.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Spicy McHaggis

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:59 am

Maybe seminary is better than it used to be. My 11th grade seminary teacher was such a weirdo I would skip class and go to Carmacks (Main St in Bountiful for any Davis County old timers). They wouldn’t let me take seminary as a senior unless I made up all the missed classes.
I took a 2nd photography class instead.
Maybe that’s why I went to California instead of a foreign mission.

Brent

Post by Brent » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:12 pm

My understanding is some foriegn countries (Russia, Brazil) require ministerial training to get a visa as a visiting minister.

Mankhoj

Post by Mankhoj » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:08 am

Brent wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:12 pm
My understanding is some foriegn countries (Russia, Brazil) require ministerial training to get a visa as a visiting minister.
I seem to recall a fireside in the Sao Paulo MTC where a local priethood leader said this to sway some government officials to allow missionaries.

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:46 am

Spicy McHaggis wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:59 am
Maybe seminary is better than it used to be. My 11th grade seminary teacher was such a weirdo I would skip class and go to Carmacks (Main St in Bountiful for any Davis County old timers). They wouldn’t let me take seminary as a senior unless I made up all the missed classes.
I took a 2nd photography class instead.
Maybe that’s why I went to California instead of a foreign mission.
Maybe we should start a thread on seminary stories. My experience was horrible. I made it through 4 years but it was awful.
Ho Lee Turtle wrote:

I am pretty sure this is true. I am betting that the leaders of those countries have an inkling that Mormon seminary is very different from a real seminary. They just don't want LDS leaders in their office constantly. The parable of the importunate widow comes to mind.

Advocate

Post by Advocate » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:37 am

Definitely wasn't the case 20-odd years ago because I didn't complete 4 years of seminary and still went foreign.

I thought the requirement was just for certain countries that require theological training. It would be sad if it is required for all foreign missions, even if the foreign countries don't care.

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:20 am

Explains why I ended up in California. Not sure I missed living in a grass hut with critters in abundance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:26 am

1smartdodog wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:20 am
Explains why I ended up in California. Not sure I missed living in a grass hut with critters in abundance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did 3 years and ended up in Cali as well. I really didn't want a foreign language missions, so I am glad I got that. I sucked at language in school. Took French for 2 years and barely learned more than a few phrases.

Cali has a different type of "grass hut."
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams