Things I learned in seminary

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Keewon

Re: Things I learned in seminary

Post by Keewon » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:47 am

Who knew? wrote:This teacher also had a collection of seer stones, which he claimed one of his students had "started" to see something in one of them.
I'd like to have a crack at that!

Me (student): "Hey, I'm starting to see something. It says... it says ... 'Russell M. Nelson is a fake!'"

Teacher: "Gimme back that stone!"

Newme

Post by Newme » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:59 am

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:56 pm
Newme wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:10 pm
*Anyone know why some seminary teachers get paid while some work for free for a boss (seminary director) who gets paid?

They do the same work - but only some get paid. Even if it were religious degrees that allow for credible income, why is it the GA’s get paid without having relevant educational background?
I believe the paid seminary teachers are only in the Jello-Belt, as there are enough students to make it a full-time job. (Where Release-Time is a thing?)

In the "Mission Field" there are not enough students to make it a full-time job, so that's where they get the "volunteers" to teach early-morning classes. (No Release-Time seminary.)
Yes, I realize how it’s different. Still, really aren’t the students getting the same teaching - except some teachers get paid and others don’t? Why not pay all of them (according to # classes taught) or none of them - wouldn’t that be more fair?

alas

Post by alas » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:19 am

Newme wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:59 am
wtfluff wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:56 pm
Newme wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:10 pm
*Anyone know why some seminary teachers get paid while some work for free for a boss (seminary director) who gets paid?

They do the same work - but only some get paid. Even if it were religious degrees that allow for credible income, why is it the GA’s get paid without having relevant educational background?
I believe the paid seminary teachers are only in the Jello-Belt, as there are enough students to make it a full-time job. (Where Release-Time is a thing?)

In the "Mission Field" there are not enough students to make it a full-time job, so that's where they get the "volunteers" to teach early-morning classes. (No Release-Time seminary.)
Yes, I realize how it’s different. Still, really aren’t the students getting the same teaching - except some teachers get paid and others don’t? Why not pay all of them (according to # classes taught) or none of them - wouldn’t that be more fair?
Even in Utah, if a teacher only teaches one class, they are volunteers. I had a great teacher who was only teaching the one class before he went to his day job. It was release time and all, and all the other teachers got pain for teaching full time, but he was a volunteer.

And the full time teachers are paid very poorly. You get into seminary teaching because you love teaching, not because it pays a half decent wage. I saw a comparison once, and Utah school teachers had about the lowest pay in all 50 states and seminary teachers were paid less than Utah school teachers.

And don’t give the church any ideas about calling full time missionaries to teach seminary. They already abuse people by calling them on missions for what should be paid positions. Now paying for “callings” that take as much time as a part time job? Yeah, they should pay part time seminary teachers, bishops, and probably RS presidents who put in a 20-30 hour work week for the church.

Newme

Post by Newme » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:05 pm

Yeah, it just seems like a double standard or unfair. Even teachers who only teach one class - probably plan as much as the others who teach the same lesson several times. And the early morning seminary teachers pay in sleep. Generally, the church seems to not handle money with integrity.