Holy Cow!!! Devastating TV ad

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Palerider

Holy Cow!!! Devastating TV ad

Post by Palerider » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:30 pm

Just saw an advertisement on the HGTV channel asking the question, "Were you a child or do you have children who were molested in the Mormon church and the church did not call the police but tried to hide it within the church?
If so we have compassionate, caring people standing by to hear your story."

And then it went on to give phone numbers to call for help and support. (Attorneys?)

This was no small ad. Somebody went to some serious effort to get this thing going. I was kind of astounded. :o

Anyone else see this? I would say this has to be a major black eye for the church to have this thing out there.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

jfro18

Re: Holy Cow!!! Devastating TV ad

Post by jfro18 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:43 pm

Someone posted a screenshot a few days ago on Facebook I think? But yeah, this is a rough one especially for non-members who see that and will forever connect the church to it.

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:07 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:43 pm
Someone posted a screenshot a few days ago on Facebook I think? But yeah, this is a rough one especially for non-members who see that and will forever connect the church to it.
Luckily there is no Mormon Church anymore. Sorry, I'll stop the sarcasm. However, the conspiracy theories floating around were about the need to rebrand the church because the crap was about to hit the fan. I doubt that was the source of RMN's midnight devotions, but it makes me wonder sometimes.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:46 pm

So what happens with all of the calls and cases that might be found out there? Are they going for a class action lawsuit?
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

George Washington

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:24 pm

To quote something LD$-Inc. may have published in the past:

Isn't it about time?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:27 am

Now they need an ad that pans over the temple and down in for a close up of a grandpa in a white suit and asks “were you groped, molested, or had your junk fondled by a temple worker during your initiatory? That’s not part of the ceremony. You are entitled to compensation for pain suffering and emotional religious trauma!

Call now we have attorneys standing by.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:15 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:27 am
Now they need an ad that pans over the temple and down in for a close up of a grandpa in a white suit and asks “were you groped, molested, or had your junk fondled by a temple worker during your initiatory? That’s not part of the ceremony. You are entitled to compensation for pain suffering and emotional religious trauma!

Call now we have attorneys standing by.
I could legit call on that one... if there's one moment in my life that I'll never forget, it was when the old dude got way closer than I thought he would during the initiatory. there's no doubt in my mind that was the moment I knew I had gotten into something very bad.

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:20 pm

Someone thinks there is going to be a big payday.
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:05 pm

1smartdodog wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:20 pm
Someone thinks there is going to be a big payday.
I kind of thought it was a great way to do damage to the church without actually stating that the church is a little rotten. The obvious implication is that the church has some serious skeletons in the closet. But they get away with it without saying so directly.

It's a great way to make an accusation without being accused of libel.

George Washington

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:51 pm

Is there some link to this ad?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:20 pm

moksha wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:51 pm
Is there some link to this ad?
Just spent a few minutes looking for one or anything else describing the ad but came up empty. Maybe someone else here can do better than I.

George Washington

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:20 pm

Double post.

I'm getting old.... :|
Last edited by Palerider on Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

George Washington

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:24 pm

It put a smile on my face the first time i saw it.
~2bizE

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:33 pm

Anyone able to get the phone number? It would be very interesting to lookup where it goes to.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:36 pm

I'm pretty sure it's Tom Kosnoff. He did a podcast with Gina Colvin and runs the Abused in Scouting and Abused in Mormonism websites.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:41 pm

Palerider, is this the commercial you saw?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... Enp6o4S974

Here is what looks like a law firm prepping either a mass assault of litigation cases or a class action suit.
https://abusedinmormonism.com/

We know that the TSCC has gone through numerous lawsuits in recent years and paid 10's to 100's of millions in settlement> this turns into a nationwide/international class action, things could get very interesting.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:45 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:36 pm
I'm pretty sure it's Tom Kosnoff. He did a podcast with Gina Colvin and runs the Abused in Scouting and Abused in Mormonism websites.

Assuming what I found is what the OP saw, then yes, you are correct. It is Tim Kosnoff who is spearheading this. He was involved in the Martinsburg, WV case, so this guy can get results.
https://abusedinmormonism.com/#stories About 70% down the page.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:22 pm

Has this ad pushed Kirton McConkie and the LDS Covert Operations Department into overdrive trying to dig up dirt on this law firm?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:04 pm

moksha wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:22 pm
Has this ad pushed Kirton McConkie and the LDS Covert Operations Department into overdrive trying to dig up dirt on this law firm?
No doubt, they've already won several big suits.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:39 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:41 pm
Palerider, is this the commercial you saw?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... Enp6o4S974

Here is what looks like a law firm prepping either a mass assault of litigation cases or a class action suit.
https://abusedinmormonism.com/

We know that the TSCC has gone through numerous lawsuits in recent years and paid 10's to 100's of millions in settlement> this turns into a nationwide/international class action, things could get very interesting.
Yep. That's the one.

Wouldn't that be something to see someone take a wrecking ball to the corporation. Sad in a way because so many people want the church to be a good thing and yet it really needs to be cleaned.

Leadership have been having things their way much too long.

George Washington