Internet Sacred Text Archives

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Random

Internet Sacred Text Archives

Post by Random » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:30 am

This site looks like a gold mine of information to me.
Welcome to the largest freely available archive of online books about religion, mythology, folklore and the esoteric on the Internet. The site is dedicated to religious tolerance and scholarship, and has the largest readership of any similar site on the web.

https://www.sacred-texts.com/
Topics (I copied and pasted):

African
Age of Reason
Alchemy
Americana
Ancient Near East
Astrology
Asia
Atlantis
Australia
Basque
Baha'i
Bible
Book of Shadows
Buddhism
Celtic
Christianity
Classics
Comparative
Confucianism
DNA
Earth Mysteries
Egyptian
England
Esoteric/Occult
Evil
Fortean
Freemasonry
Gothic
Gnosticism
Grimoires
Hinduism
I Ching
Islam
Icelandic
Jainism
Journals
Judaism
Legends/Sagas
Legendary Creatures
LGBT
Miscellaneous
Mormonism
Mysticism
Native American
Necronomicon
New Thought
Neopaganism/Wicca
Nostradamus
Oahspe
Pacific
Paleolithic
Parapsychology
Philosophy
Piri Re'is Map
Prophecy
Roma
Sacred Books of the East
Sacred Sexuality
Shakespeare
Shamanism
Shinto
Symbolism
Sikhism
Sub Rosa
Swedenborg
Tantra
Taoism
Tarot
Thelema
Theosophy
Time
Tolkien
UFOs
Utopia
Women
Wisdom of the East
Zoroastrianism
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

SincereInquirer

Re: Internet Sacred Text Archives

Post by SincereInquirer » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:13 pm

It has Mormonism all wrong though...it says "the Bible is considered the fundamental sacred text by Mormons."

We perhaps should correct them to let them know the real fundamental sacred texts are:

1. Whatever is being written on the yellow pad in the middle of the night by Rusty Nelson with his super special revelatory pencil.

2. Whatever is written by President Newsroom as long as it is attributed to Rusty Nelson.

3. Whatever is written in the current issue of the Ensign by profits, seers, and revelators...and even now written by random people in the New Era if it deals with drinks ending with -ccino

4. Whatever is written in the current conference Ensign by current profits, seers, and revelators.

5. Whatever is written in prior Ensign issues by profits, seers, and revelators UNLESS it conflicts with something a current profit, seer, and revelator has said, in which case the current profit, seer, and revelator wins.

6. The Book of Mormon

7. The Doctrine and Covenants.

8. The Book of Abraham

9. The Articles of Faith

10. The Bible, but only as long as it is translated correctly.

I probably missed a couple others that are higher in priority to the Bible.
"I don't need the Mormon church to be true, I just need it to not be verifiably false." - something I read somewhere...(help me give proper citation credit if you know where this came from)

Random

Post by Random » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:01 pm

SincereInquirer wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:13 pm
It has Mormonism all wrong though...it says "the Bible is considered the fundamental sacred text by Mormons."
Love your list. It's spot on, too.

I didn't post the link because Mormonism was on the list. In fact, I debated taking that out of the copy and paste.

I posted it because of this:
Q: What is sacred-texts.com?
A: This site strives to produce the best possible transcriptions of public domain texts on the subject of religion, mythology, folklore and the esoteric. The texts are posted for free access on the Internet.
Information. Knowledge about subjects we may not be familiar with, especially for anyone not wanting to throw God out the window, who would like to read something about religions or beliefs they didn't know about.

edit for better emoji
Last edited by Random on Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

PK

Random

Post by Random » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:09 pm

A couple other FAQ from the site:
Some take the name of the site a bit too literally. This leads to numerous misconceptions:

Q: Book X isn't at your site. Does that mean it is not a sacred text?
A: No. It may not be public domain, or we may not have got around to posting it. But omitting it from the site doesn't imply that we don't think it is or isn't a sacred-text.

Q: Book X is at your site. Does that mean that it is a sacred text?
A: No. Not everything at this site is a sacred text in the strict sense.
I thought these two were interesting:
Q: Why are you publishing Masonic secrets?
A: All text at this site in the Freemasonry section is from public domain books, most of which have been in print for over a century. For instance, my copy of Duncan's Ritual was purchased off-the-shelf at a large chain bookstore. So these are hardly secret anymore, and hence it makes no sense to blame this site for publishing these texts.

Q: Why are you publishing tribal secrets?
A: All of these books have been sitting on library shelves for, in most cases, over a century.
The full FAQ is here: https://www.sacred-texts.com/faq.htm

PK