Which “group” do you most closely align with?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Anon70

Which “group” do you most closely align with?

Post by Anon70 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:56 am

Years ago my DH and I took a course at the local college. At the beginning of the class they asked us to divide up into 7 or 8 loosely defined “groups”. We were told to choose the one that most closely aligned with our perspectives, beliefs, lives, or whichever group resonated with us the most. I can’t remember them all but there was politics, celebrity, religion, charitable leaders/visionaries, naturists, etc.

My DH and I just automatically stood in the space for religion. I don’t think we even thought about it. I remember telling him that my second choice would be the charity group. One of the professors came and chatted with us. When time was called she said “oh what group is this” and when we said religion she was horrified and said “oh no no no” and left for another group. Out of 60+ people we were the only 2 in the religion section.

I used that story in several lessons and talks about how secular the world is and how quick the world is to forget god #facepalm.

Nowadays I lean heavily towards humanism. What I like most about the concept/theory is the idea that individuals have the right and responsibility to find meaning and give shape to their lives. It’s more focused on the here and now. I find it so much more empowering and positive which I felt was missing for me as an active Mormon.

Where would you land and why if asked to align with some manner of thinking or being?

deacon blues

Re: Which “group” do you most closely align with?

Post by deacon blues » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:27 am

Dude, (or should I say Dudette?) why are you up so late? :D On a scale of 1-10, 1 being full bore religious and 10 being completely humanist, I am a 5, but that could change by tomorrow. Heck, when I read your post it moves me to a 6 or 7. :ugeek:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:52 am

Maybe you should have said you were the “people that wear religious underwear” group!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:14 pm

At this point in our lives, DW and I feel grouped out, meaning we don't really have a group or wish to be part of one. We have just been doing our own thing, enjoying life and spending quality time with our adult kids. I guess right now, at least the last couple of months, we could be in the Lush group, dropping amazing Lush bath bombs in our jetted tub on Sunday afternoons, sipping on beer and wine, eating Popsicles, indulging in other mind altering plant based substances. These times together the past couple of months have provided more amazing and profound experiences and brought us closer together than anything else we ever got out of our 40+ years in TSCC.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Random

Post by Random » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:19 pm

Well, since naturists are on the list, I would align with that group (not necessarily the LDS version, but here's a link for you anyway).

http://ldssdf.org/v2/
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

alas

Post by alas » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:51 am

Random wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:19 pm
Well, since naturists are on the list, I would align with that group (not necessarily the LDS version, but here's a link for you anyway).

http://ldssdf.org/v2/
Well, I might not be quite that natural, seeing as I like to have boob support and to cover surgery scars and baby stretch marks. But I think I fit most as a nature worshipper.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:27 am

I would align now with anything but religion.
A few years ago, I would have been in the religion group as well.
~2bizE

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:29 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:14 pm
At this point in our lives, DW and I feel grouped out, meaning we don't really have a group or wish to be part of one.
I get that. Maybe I mis-worded this. After being so aligned/affiliated with Mormonism, what is the philosophy or life skills/practice that resonate most now? I see a focus in many NOMs and Ex-mos on being happy here and now, focusing on themselves/family/friends in a positive way (not waiting on eternity) and have a broader perspective of “good”.

I’m gonna have to look into naturists but I’m with Alas...I’m gonna keep things covered up ;)

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:31 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:27 am
Dude, (or should I say Dudette?) why are you up so late? :D On a scale of 1-10, 1 being full bore religious and 10 being completely humanist, I am a 5, but that could change by tomorrow. Heck, when I read your post it moves me to a 6 or 7. :ugeek:
Haha it wasn’t even bedtime here...the time difference from the continental US can be big especially before “fall back”.

Random

Post by Random » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:03 pm

alas wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:51 am
Well, I might not be quite that natural, seeing as I like to have boob support and to cover surgery scars and baby stretch marks. But I think I fit most as a nature worshipper.
Anon70 wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:29 pm
I’m gonna have to look into naturists but I’m with Alas...I’m gonna keep things covered up ;)
Yeah, I've not lived that way except inside my own house, with a couple of minor excursions into private swimming. I joke that I'd give people nightmares, but a friend who is into the same thing believes we should accept our bodies, no matter how out of shape we are (or scarred or whatever else).

Even without that depth, I'm still into nature, and would love to live in a house that worked with the sun to heat and cool (with backup heat/cooling, if necessary). Anyway, that's enough threadjack on my part.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

PK

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:18 pm

Had this happened to me way back when, I think I would have joined the religion group because I knew I was supposed to and my identity was entirely wrapped up in it, all while looking longingly at the other groups I could only imagine being a part of.

One of the most uncomfortable results of going through my faith transition is my dislike of groups and organizations generally. I know they can do good. And I want to have community and something I belong to and believe in, but I just can't seem to want to put myself into one.

Random

Post by Random » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:29 pm

MerrieMiss wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:18 pm
because I knew I was supposed to and my identity was entirely wrapped up in it.
I totally hear you on that one! I'm still learning I have freedom to do and say what I want.

PK