Terryl Givens new Video on Book of Abraham With Kerry Muhlestein

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Post Reply
Apologeticsislying
Posts: 323
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:18 pm

Terryl Givens new Video on Book of Abraham With Kerry Muhlestein

Post by Apologeticsislying » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:28 pm

I haven't seen this You Tube video interview up yet, here on these message boards I mean, but think it is interesting to note that Givens is turning to the LDS Egyptologists and getting more and more involved with the Book of Abraham and the Papyri. I have made a couple comments on the video as has others. So, we might be in for some more discussion either through You Tube or else on message boards on this subject, which is as it should be.
https://drpepaw.wixsite.com/backyardpro ... e-Evidence
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

Keewon
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:01 pm

Re: Terryl Givens new Video on Book of Abraham With Kerry Muhlestein

Post by Keewon » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:59 pm

*Sigh* I just don't have the energy to keep up with the endless tap dancing. As I've said before, I would just love if Givans (and his ilk) would sit still long enough to answer a couple of questions:

"If the JS papyri turned out to recognizably be what JS claimed them to be, would that be scientific evidence that JS was a prophet? Then, if that is not the case, if they turn out not to be what JS claimed them to be, is that evidence he was not a prophet? Why is there scientific evidence in the first case but not the second? (In 1000 words or less...)"

Sheesh... it shouldn't be this hard...

Anon70
Posts: 605
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:56 pm

Re: Terryl Givens new Video on Book of Abraham With Kerry Muhlestein

Post by Anon70 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:23 am

Apologeticsislying wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:28 pm
I haven't seen this You Tube video interview up yet, here on these message boards I mean, but think it is interesting to note that Givens is turning to the LDS Egyptologists and getting more and more involved with the Book of Abraham and the Papyri. I have made a couple comments on the video as has others. So, we might be in for some more discussion either through You Tube or else on message boards on this subject, which is as it should be.
https://drpepaw.wixsite.com/backyardpro ... e-Evidence
I’ve wondered how much support/direction he gets from the top guys. It seems like he tends to focus on the topics that are giving the leadership the most angst. I totally see him as a TBM who pretends to be nuanced in order to convince those that are struggling that he “gets” them. And then he uses that standing with them to convince them to stay or fill them full of FAIR prepared crap so they’ll convince themselves to stay. I think he’s a patsy for the top 15. But I have no evidence to support that.

User avatar
Hagoth
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:13 pm

Re: Terryl Givens new Video on Book of Abraham With Kerry Muhlestein

Post by Hagoth » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:49 pm

I haven't finished reading this yet but just your list of all of the things that need to believed literally is kind of shocking when you see them condensed like that. Might as well toss in some literal unicorns and headless horsemen.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

User avatar
moksha
Posts: 3211
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:22 am

Re: Terryl Givens new Video on Book of Abraham With Kerry Muhlestein

Post by moksha » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:38 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJtkwzWvBQE

The particular school of epistemological thought utilized by Mr. Givens and Dr. Muhlestein is known by it's Reformed Greek phrase, Shuck and Jive.



BTW, Kerry was able to swallow an entire thesaurus without once having to ease its passage with demon coffee. Got to love him for that!

BTW 2, I also loved Cinepro's pictorial response to the Givens & Muhlestein video:

Image
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

User avatar
Not Buying It
Posts: 1125
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:29 pm

Re: Terryl Givens new Video on Book of Abraham With Kerry Muhlestein

Post by Not Buying It » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:39 am

Anon70 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:23 am
Apologeticsislying wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:28 pm
I haven't seen this You Tube video interview up yet, here on these message boards I mean, but think it is interesting to note that Givens is turning to the LDS Egyptologists and getting more and more involved with the Book of Abraham and the Papyri. I have made a couple comments on the video as has others. So, we might be in for some more discussion either through You Tube or else on message boards on this subject, which is as it should be.
https://drpepaw.wixsite.com/backyardpro ... e-Evidence
I’ve wondered how much support/direction he gets from the top guys. It seems like he tends to focus on the topics that are giving the leadership the most angst. I totally see him as a TBM who pretends to be nuanced in order to convince those that are struggling that he “gets” them. And then he uses that standing with them to convince them to stay or fill them full of FAIR prepared crap so they’ll convince themselves to stay. I think he’s a patsy for the top 15. But I have no evidence to support that.
He's getting support from someone. You don't travel the Church giving Firesides on your own dime on a college professor's salary. Perhaps he's not getting support from the Church directly, they like to get other people to do their dirty work to give them plausible deniability (as in "Hey, this guy Hoffman is selling some old documents, we'd like you to buy one for us and then donate it to us").
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

User avatar
Mormorrisey
Posts: 891
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:54 pm

Re: Terryl Givens new Video on Book of Abraham With Kerry Muhlestein

Post by Mormorrisey » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:34 am

I found this fascinating, given that Givens initially aligned himself with the Hauglid/Jensen camp when it came to the BOA and the writing of his book, and now he's sleeping with the enemy by making this video with Muhlestein? Wow.

Maybe Givens sees himself as the bridge between the two camps, trying to bring them together.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

User avatar
Just This Guy
Posts: 1105
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:30 pm
Location: Almost Heaven

Re: Terryl Givens new Video on Book of Abraham With Kerry Muhlestein

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:56 am

To borrow from The Bard: "“Misery acquaints a man with strange bedfellows."

In general it looks like apologist are overall loosing the war to defend the BOA. War does make for strange bedfellows.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

User avatar
Mormorrisey
Posts: 891
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:54 pm

Re: Terryl Givens new Video on Book of Abraham With Kerry Muhlestein

Post by Mormorrisey » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:34 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:56 am
To borrow from The Bard: "“Misery acquaints a man with strange bedfellows."

In general it looks like apologist are overall loosing the war to defend the BOA. War does make for strange bedfellows.
Seems like a good as answer as any! :lol:
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

User avatar
Yobispo
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:35 pm

Re: Terryl Givens new Video on Book of Abraham With Kerry Muhlestein

Post by Yobispo » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:17 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:39 am
Anon70 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:23 am
Apologeticsislying wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:28 pm
I haven't seen this You Tube video interview up yet, here on these message boards I mean, but think it is interesting to note that Givens is turning to the LDS Egyptologists and getting more and more involved with the Book of Abraham and the Papyri. I have made a couple comments on the video as has others. So, we might be in for some more discussion either through You Tube or else on message boards on this subject, which is as it should be.
https://drpepaw.wixsite.com/backyardpro ... e-Evidence
I’ve wondered how much support/direction he gets from the top guys. It seems like he tends to focus on the topics that are giving the leadership the most angst. I totally see him as a TBM who pretends to be nuanced in order to convince those that are struggling that he “gets” them. And then he uses that standing with them to convince them to stay or fill them full of FAIR prepared crap so they’ll convince themselves to stay. I think he’s a patsy for the top 15. But I have no evidence to support that.
He's getting support from someone. You don't travel the Church giving Firesides on your own dime on a college professor's salary. Perhaps he's not getting support from the Church directly, they like to get other people to do their dirty work to give them plausible deniability (as in "Hey, this guy Hoffman is selling some old documents, we'd like you to buy one for us and then donate it to us").
I went to one of his firesides a few years ago and it was sponsored by the Temple Observatory Group (I think I'm butchering that). So there are some private groups who sponsor these events, but I'm just enough of a jerk to think that there is coordination going on from inside the COB.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests