The Zen Writings of D. T. Suzuki

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Apologeticsislying

The Zen Writings of D. T. Suzuki

Post by Apologeticsislying » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:35 pm

I just finished the selection of Zen writings edited by William Barrett, and I was astonished at how fascinating it was! This would make sensational Priesthood Meeting material except for one mosquito in the soup. It wouldn't validate the Angel Moroni and it would certainly make Russell M. Nelson attempt to answer the Koan "What is the Sound of One Hand Clapping" by saying he had a revelation at 4:30 a.m. on a Tuesday, and therefore didn't write it down, so he couldn't remember it, hence the answer was given by revelation, but no we have no actual information, but this demonstrates without question that Mormonism is true while Zen is the philosophy of men mingled with thinking. And it was proven to the prophet whilst he was still in his pajamas...

Anyone else read about Zen? I just recently acquired the book by Jeff Bridges and the incredible Bernie Glassman (there was a terrific write up on Bernie in "Lion's Roar" the Buddhist Magazine, March 2019:45-51, a true man of God on the earth if there ever was one) The Dude and the Zen Master where they talk about the many Zen moments in Bridges movie "The Big Lebowski" which I just re watched last night. I am enjoying studying Zen Buddhism from Alan Watts, and now with D. T. Suzuki and just a few weeks ago Robert Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. That. was. a. deep. book. I have SO MUCH to share, and so little time for the moment.

One characteristic of Zen that makes it so mystifying (NOT mystical) is it's direct pointing to reality as it is, as it is being experienced. We are so used to working with words, which removes us a step away from the real, since words are not the things themselves. The word dog is NOT a dog, etc. And, Zen has no desire whatsoever for logic, since it is logic in the first place that has taken us away from reality. Amazingly enough, Suzuki demonstrates this for hundreds of pages!!! A spectacular look into Zen I must say! Life is NOT logical, and therefore, reality is not logical based on verbal description, no matter how careful or flowery or philosophical language can get even descriptive can never capture what is real at the moment as it is being lived, seen, felt, etc. THE MOMENT is what Zen literally and truly focuses on, and it is this most stimulating aspect of it that makes it seem kooky at times. But is anything but kooky, since it is the only real thing about reality. Anyway, enough for now. Much more later.
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

Corsair

Re: The Zen Writings of D. T. Suzuki

Post by Corsair » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:52 am

I have not read anything by D. T. Suzuki. I will add this author to my projected reading list. I have read the Tao Te Ching and I'm still processing it. I am a regular listener to the Secular Buddhism podcast and have found it very enlightening. I could not make any claim that I fully understand Buddhism or the various schools, but it continues to intrigue me.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:29 am

I'm currently reading the Tao Te Ching as my daily scripture study. This Zen book sounds fascinating but I just got the 3 Watts books you recommended, Apologeticsislying, so that's going to take me a while. I really pricked up my ears at the mention of The Dude and the Zen Master. I am, after all, an ordained minister in The Church of the Latter Day Dude.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Apologeticsislying

Post by Apologeticsislying » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:39 am

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:29 am
I'm currently reading the Tao Te Ching as my daily scripture study. This Zen book sounds fascinating but I just got the 3 Watts books you recommended, Apologeticsislying, so that's going to take me a while. I really pricked up my ears at the mention of The Dude and the Zen Master. I am, after all, an ordained minister in The Church of the Latter Day Dude.
OHMIGOSH, I m unworthy to be in thy presence oh great master, but may I inquire into the possibly of being the least servant in the church? I will serve with honor, since it is the Dude's church!

On a serious note, the book The Dude and the Zen Master is the singular most down to earth, and up to heaven spiritual books I have ever read. Could not put it down. Literally could not stop and wished like crazy the last page never showed up. I highly recommend it to one and all! I am on lunch but will post ideas I found intriguing in the book, which was more than one per page, so I may end up writing the entire book out..... :D I must confess, Jeff Bridges is seriously intelligent. I just had no idea, but that guy is quite well read! I am impressed, seriously. And he has a heart of gold.
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:30 pm

While checking it out on Amazon I also came upon:
-The Dude De Ching
-The Dao of Dude
-The Abide Guide-Living Like Lebowski

All by Oliver Benjamin. Anybody familiar with these?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:27 pm

Hey Kerry, I like your information on Zen Buddhism. I remember reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance as required reading for a class on Administration back in college.

As the Reverend G.L. Mazda would say, "Zoom, zoom, zoom!"
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Apologeticsislying

Post by Apologeticsislying » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:53 pm

moksha wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:27 pm
Hey Kerry, I like your information on Zen Buddhism. I remember reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance as required reading for a class on Administration back in college.

As the Reverend G.L. Mazda would say, "Zoom, zoom, zoom!"
Yes. There was a Zen Master who was once asked by a student, what is the true way? And his response was "Go!" That was all he said. Allow me to interject just a smidgin since I am not a Master of Zen and am about to prove it, because Zen has no need to elaborate or explain, but I do. The Master's word to me means as in go man, go! Keep going forward, go in life, don't stop, live life. Live life here and now, the essence of Zen. Here is reality as we experience it every single moment. Wake up and take notice of all. It is the only reality there is, our experience, right here right now, GO! I mean ya gotta love it...