Women can now act as witnesses for baptisms and temple sealings

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.

2bizE

Re: Women can now act as witnesses for baptisms and temple sealings

Post by 2bizE » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:04 pm

I like this change. The irrigation is 15 minutes ago, TBMs everywhere were talking about that only men can witness, and it is a priesthood responsibility, and women just can’t do that.
Now, they can.

If you’ve used up your access to SLtrib, here is the announcement from President Newsroom:

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... DVVbo-m0Dk
~2bizE

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:09 pm

OH MY HECK. I’m curious if Eve helped with creation. I wonder if the temple endowment will change?
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:30 pm

Which leads us with the classic question:

Was barring women and children from doing so previously contrary to Gods will? In which case, our former leaders were leading us astray.

Or, are our current leaders mistaken and this is still a priesthood responsibility? Hence, our current leaders are leading us astray.

Or, is Mormon God schizophrenic, and can't make up his mind? In which case they might both be wrong, or both be right...hmmm

Or, the whole damn thing is made up and doctrine is whatever Rusty's lighted pen says it is.

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:58 pm

lostinmiddlemormonism wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:30 pm
Which leads us with the classic question:

Was barring women and children from doing so previously contrary to Gods will? In which case, our former leaders were leading us astray.

Or, are our current leaders mistaken and this is still a priesthood responsibility? Hence, our current leaders are leading us astray.

Or, is Mormon God schizophrenic, and can't make up his mind? In which case they might both be wrong, or both be right...hmmm

Or, the whole damn thing is made up and doctrine is whatever Rusty's lighted pen says it is.
These are great questions. I also wonder why women can't be clerks, auditors, or members of SS presidencies. It's like "Whose Line Is It Anyway;" everything is made up, and the points don't matter.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:11 pm

So, now bishops will start to make up their own rules like must be one male and one female that witness. Certainly not two females. The liberal bishops will have two 8 year old girls witness a baptism.
I was hoping Rusty’s pen light combination set had not burned out so we could continue to receive new revelations from him.
I think this moves us closer to having (once again) female ward clerks and female SS presidents. Maybe even call them President.
~2bizE

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:35 am

I am sure they will be excellent at spotting floating strands of hair. Thus allowing them to exercise authority calling for redunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:39 am

Wonder if the women over age 8 will be given a special bracelet, sign, or seer iPhone app to signify their new duties?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Apologeticsislying

Post by Apologeticsislying » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:01 am

This is huge! HUGE I tells ya! Mormonism has become more progressive, more all inclusive in the singular domain of man authority and privilege. Now it will be another 5-6 years before those "wenches" (Shakespearean allusion here, not my own misogony) complain and the men can continue in peace sitting in their high seats, authoritatively allowing crumbs of doctrine to trickle down to only the single anointed of the crowd... All is well again in Zion. Oh the glory.
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:06 pm

Big win for women and kids to get to observe the men at work.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Apologeticsislying

Post by Apologeticsislying » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:15 pm

moksha wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:06 pm
Big win for women and kids to get to observe the men at work.
It is such a magnificent move forward, all will admit... it is so wonderful to see the Work of Lord moving forward at such speed! First a Church name change, then a revelation of weird people change, and now a wet ritual change. Wow the Second Coming of Jesus is far closer than we have expected....I'm getting my food storage in order!
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:56 am

A truly good revelation and one that I would actually suspect came from God, would be if they stopped baptizing children altogether..... :evil:
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:48 am

Palerider wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:56 am
A truly good revelation and one that I would actually suspect came from God, would be if they stopped baptizing children altogether..... :evil:
...and stopped pretending that 8 year olds are accountable. No wonder why we have child sex abuse.

'Well she was 9 and so I'm sure she can give consent.' Shaking my damn head!

alas

Post by alas » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:28 pm

Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:48 am
Palerider wrote:
...and stopped pretending that 8 year olds are accountable. No wonder why we have child sex abuse.

Hey, that was what my bishop told me. I was too young to know what sexual intercourse was, but I was accountable for obeying my father even if I didn’t understand.

Later, I dared to ask that same bishop how old he was before he went against his father’s wishes. 41. Yeah, so I was guilty of doing at 11 what he still struggled with 30 years later.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:26 pm

alas wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:28 pm
Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:48 am
Palerider wrote:

Hey, that was what my bishop told me. I was too young to know what sexual intercourse was, but I was accountable for obeying my father even if I didn’t understand.

Later, I dared to ask that same bishop how old he was before he went against his father’s wishes. 41. Yeah, so I was guilty of doing at 11 what he still struggled with 30 years later.
It's a despicable practice.

They baptize a child when they've barely learned how to say what's up and what's down and then from the time they're 16 till they're in the grave, they dump a truckload of responsibilities on them and say, "You covenanted to do all this at baptism. Remember..." :roll:

How could any intelligent, genuinely righteous person of integrity, hold someone to a promise they made when they were EIGHT YEARS OLD????

Is there no one in top leadership who can see the Insanity of this "doctrine"?

It's a corrupt heresy.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington