Vaporware Temples

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Just This Guy

Vaporware Temples

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:44 am

Didn't see this on here.

Saturday night, during the women's session, they announced a new temple to be built in Orem Utah. This was very braking news. So new that the City of Orem put out a statement that they had no idea that one was in the works and not been contacted about it yet, so they had no details to offer.

Someone putting the cart before the horse?
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

alas

Re: Vaporware Temples

Post by alas » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:50 am

The church announces the temples they are considering. Some of them have gotten nixed. So, I am not surprised that the city of Orem knows nothing. The land has not even been picked out. But the brethren are thinking about it.

It keeps the members feeling like the church is growing by leaps and bounds. Look at all the new temples they announce.

Part of the church’s game of making things LOOK like the church is growing, even when it isn’t.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:15 am

"As if" the city of Orem will not bend over backwards 1,000,000 times over to do whatever LD$-Inc. asks of them when they do finally "buddy up" to the table.

Hopefully I'm wrong. Rumor has it that Saratoga Springs has not been as cooperative as the theocracy would like them to be...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:37 am

Yes, it seems like RMN is announcing temples as he places them in his Amazon Wish List rather than moving them into his shopping cart.
BYW- a coffeemaker is still sitting in my Amazon Wish list.
~2bizE

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:01 am

The main purpose of announcing temples is to energize the membership. It's kind of like a high school pep rally in that respect. It's an "oh, isn't it amazing how the Church is growing" exercise. If some of them never get built, they still served their purpose.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:44 am

Do the temples get charged property taxes based on building valuations?

Seems the City of Orem would benefit greatly.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:00 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:44 am

I doubt it...

Lots of speculation bouncing around in the DAMU about all these empty temples, and the real reason for them.

Of course my useless fluffy speculation is that it's all about money. :mrgreen:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Mormon 8

Post by Mormon 8 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:40 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:44 am
Didn't see this on here.

Saturday night, during the women's session, they announced a new temple to be built in Orem Utah. This was very braking news. So new that the City of Orem put out a statement that they had no idea that one was in the works and not been contacted about it yet, so they had no details to offer.

Can you provide a link to the statement issued by Orem City? This is hilarious if true.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:41 pm

Red Ryder wrote:

Depends on where it is. In the US, no. They are deemed churches and are tax exempt. However, England and Europe requires churches to be open to the public, therefore temples are considered private clubs and are subject to taxes. So that big complex they just finished in Rome, wonder how much it's gonna cost them a year? It would be interesting to compare pre-2005 to post-2005 temple construction rates in Europe to see if that changed any development plans.

I also wonder what it's like for an assessor to go though the building to figure out its taxable value.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

fetchface

Post by fetchface » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:42 pm

Red Ryder wrote:

It is my understanding that religious buildings are tax exempt, even property tax. I remember watching a documentary on the JWs and one comment they made was that NYC was salivating at the prospect of the JWs selling their headquarters building and moving to a lower-cost area. Their ugly headquarters sits on prime Brooklyn real-estate and generates no revenue in property tax.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:46 pm

Orem will now feel compelled to come up with a free land site on which to build this temple and smooth over any zoning concerns.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:50 pm

Mormon 8 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:40 pm
Just This Guy wrote:
Didn't see this on here.

Can you provide a link to the statement issued by Orem City? This is hilarious if true.
It was posted on their Facebook page. I'll see if I can find it later tonight.

Mormon 8

Post by Mormon 8 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:44 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:50 pm
Mormon 8 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:40 pm
Just This Guy wrote:
Didn't see this on here.

It was posted on their Facebook page. I'll see if I can find it later tonight.
Sounds good, thanks.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:12 pm

Looks like it was on their Redit page:

https://www.reddit.com/r/latterdaysaint ... ew_temple/

Sent from my LG-H740 using Tapatalk

Apologeticsislying

Post by Apologeticsislying » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:41 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:01 am
The main purpose of announcing temples is to energize the membership. It's kind of like a high school pep rally in that respect. It's an "oh, isn't it amazing how the Church is growing" exercise. If some of them never get built, they still served their purpose.
And it will come back and bite em in the butt......mark my words. If the Lord is saying to them build so many temples all over and they are skipping some, what does that tell the membership about how important the Lord's work actually is?
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:15 am

This sums it up.
FB_IMG_1570540375468.jpg
FB_IMG_1570540375468.jpg (43.12 KiB) Viewed 8058 times
Sent from my LG-H740 using Tapatalk

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:07 am

Next years announcements:
Qatar
Iraq
Afghanistan
The moon
Hobbiton
A second one in Russia
~2bizE

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:27 am

According to https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/construction/

There are:

14 Under Construction • 9 Under Renovation • 37 Announced

So they have announced 37 new temples that have yet to break ground...
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

Mormon 8

Post by Mormon 8 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:47 pm

Here's my question... each temple costs an average of about $150 million... 150 times 37 = $5.6 billion... why would this real estate corporation masquerading as a religion drop almost $6 billion for 37 temples so members of a trademark can go and practice Freemasonry? Could they be willing to cough up that much money just to keep the charade going, members believing and the government from ever taxing them?

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:25 am

Especially with the temples in the Mormon heavy area, I wonder how much of the decision to put them in is less about meeting member needs, but more about either a cushy construction gig for a certain company with backhanded ties to LDSInc. or as 'gift' to certain members in the area who then get into real estate speculation.