Questions about YM changes

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
StarbucksMom

Questions about YM changes

Post by StarbucksMom » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:50 pm

So I didn’t watch any conference, husband and sons were out of town for a sports team competition. Thank you to all of you for the conference threads, I love NOMfrence :P So I am very confused about the YM changes. There’s no more YM presidency? What about quorum advisors? Our YM was recently re-organized and my husband is an advisor-I think.I was actually legit sick when he was sustained. Anyway, so—WTH??? YM is run by the bishop now? Or the EQP/HP-like they don’t have enough to do. (what are the men called again now? Can’t keep track of the endless stupid changes.) I think it was mentioned YM are one big group. This makes sense in small branches, but my ward is pretty big.

And YW are one big group? But they still have leaders? I am so confused. :roll: Anyone have a clue about all this stuff?

fetchface

Re: Questions about YM changes

Post by fetchface » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:01 pm

I know I shouldn't be mad, but I am. How dare they add more crap to the bishop's plate? Assholes.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/

Apologeticsislying

Post by Apologeticsislying » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:28 pm

They must be figuring the bishops can't just up and quit their calling like the YM leaders........they gots em right where they wants em, continually doing the maximum load of work for totally free........a corporation with thousands of employees working for free. What a gig man, what a gig!!!
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:40 am

They didn’t go into the detail for the YM the way they did for the YW. They basically said it’s the bishops main job to take care of the YM and YW and eliminated the ward YM. They also pushed the stake YM Pres to a member of the high council. I agree with other posters this is more about not having enough active priesthood holders than using the right leadership model.

I felt bummed for our bishop. He just got hella busier.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:51 am

Basically, the bishop has until some time next year to fire all of the YM presidency and advisors and reorganize them according to his liking under the new guidelines. I love getting fired from church callings during GC. It helps planning family activities much easier. “Well, since I was fired today from YM, I guess I will take my kids out for a fun activity instead of hanging around a group of stinky teenagers on Tuesday night fighting to keep them from sneaking to the gym and playing basketball.”
~2bizE

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:18 pm

Link Fairy:

https://www.thechurchnews.com/leaders-a ... uth-162483
Summary points:

The primary role of bishops is to care for young men and young women.

Bishoprics will preside over the Aaronic Priesthood and ward Young Men presidencies will be discontinued.

Ward Young Women presidents will report directly to the bishop.
Please watch conference next time. Your eternal salvation is at risk and President Nelson is likely to make some more policy adjustments.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:39 pm

I think that for most wards that have enough members and priesthood holders things do not have change very much with these YM changes. I would imagine the current presidencies could be called as advisers and things will be back to how they have been. Some wards will probably take this opportunity to rotate new people in.

A lot of the recent changes were made with smaller wards and branches in mind. The number of MP holders required to staff a ward has dropped considerably. A lot of callings have been either eliminated or responsibilities reduced. The 2 hour block has basically halved the number of lessons taught which means fewer teachers are needed.

Leaders are looking forward to wards and branches shrinking in the future, and they want to avoid the need of closing too many units.
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

StarbucksMom

Post by StarbucksMom » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:43 pm

Thanks for the replies. I cannot get over how ridiculous this is. Like I mentioned, I could maybe understand for small branches, but we’re in Az. In the MorCor, there are usually plenty of men to staff these positions. Do bishops now have to teach and plan Sunday lessons?? And weekly activities?? Honestly, WTH? Should bishops just quit their full time jobs? Or are the 15 going to give up their 6 figure salaries, private jets, and vacation homes so they can have a church paid clergy?

I have known a few wives of bishops who were ready to crack under pressure, have breakdowns, and question the church because their husbands were NEVER home to help w/ the kids/teens. Unbelievable. I predict more high profile members walking away.

Yobispo

Post by Yobispo » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:57 pm

fetchface wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:01 pm
I know I shouldn't be mad, but I am. How dare they add more crap to the bishop's plate? Assholes.
That was my very first thought. TSCC has no concern for it's local leaders and their time/family life.

fetchface

Post by fetchface » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:49 am

Yobispo wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:57 pm
That was my very first thought. TSCC has no concern for it's local leaders and their time/family life.
Right? I was never a bishop but I had my four kids really close together and was called as EQP right before the fourth one was born. That was just stupid! Life was too busy for me to do all that and care for four toddlers/infants!

All of the leaders around me just thought it was great that I was having all of this opportunity for "growth" when I was actually thinking how great it would be to be dead.

This church cares nothing for the people working for it. They will use you up and spit you out and tell you that you should thank them for it.

Is it telling that when I lost my faith the first feeling I had was a surge of ecstasy at the idea that I would never have to be a bishop? I'm not kidding. My scalp tingled and everything.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:09 am

fetchface wrote:
Yobispo wrote:
Right? I was never a bishop but I had my four kids really close together and was called as EQP right before the fourth one was born. That was just stupid! Life was too busy for me to do all that and care for four toddlers/infants!

All of the leaders around me just thought it was great that I was having all of this opportunity for "growth" when I was actually thinking how great it would be to be dead.

This church cares nothing for the people working for it. They will use you up and spit you out and tell you that you should thank them for it.

Is it telling that when I lost my faith the first feeling I had was a surge of ecstasy at the idea that I would never have to be a bishop? I'm not kidding. My scalp tingled and everything.
The surge of ecstasy thing is no joke! Total relief.

Yobispo

Post by Yobispo » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:38 am

fetchface wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:49 am
Yobispo wrote:

As much as I loved the church, being in leadership and having that comforting feeling that I was on the Lord's errand, there was always part of me that felt like a hamster on the wheel. My time as Bishop was awful, to be honest, with an abusive SP and a never-ending list of responsibilities that couldn't be accomplished. It's regular Mormonism's impossible gospel x 100. Any time I asked for help or guidance I was shot down and shamed as not having enough faith or commitment. I was called young, months before our 4th was born. Not exaggerating, my wife and I are still working our way back to good mental and physical health because we always put the church first and it messed us up in many ways.

That's what got me irritated when I heard that Bishops were now basically the YM president, too.

fetchface

Post by fetchface » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:06 am

Yobispo wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:38 am
As much as I loved the church, being in leadership and having that comforting feeling that I was on the Lord's errand, there was always part of me that felt like a hamster on the wheel. My time as Bishop was awful, to be honest, with an abusive SP and a never-ending list of responsibilities that couldn't be accomplished. It's regular Mormonism's impossible gospel x 100. Any time I asked for help or guidance I was shot down and shamed as not having enough faith or commitment. I was called young, months before our 4th was born. Not exaggerating, my wife and I are still working our way back to good mental and physical health because we always put the church first and it messed us up in many ways.

That's what got me irritated when I heard that Bishops were now basically the YM president, too.
Yeah, you can forget about exercise and health if you are a church leader. There's no time.

I think that EQP may have been something I could have handled reasonably well, even with the small kids, if the bishop hadn't insisted that I personally home teach all of the neediest families in the ward. He needed "someone he could trust" to do the hardest home teaching, which meant I constantly got random calls to handle other people's problems that they couldn't solve themselves, mostly because they just didn't have any money. I mean, I get it, the bishop gets those calls too and he was just trying to spread the workload. But keeping four households from falling apart that were constantly on the verge of collapse in some way or another was not good at that time in my life. An empty-nester would have been a much better candidate for that type of work.

Our current stake president is a guy my age. I remember when his wife bore her testimony when he was called in Stake Conference. She had to hand off the baby to him while she did it and he stood to the side on the stand bouncing the little one until she was done...

It really pisses me off to see that kind of crap. I spent almost all of my time away from my little ones for the years I was EQP and I'll never get it back.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:25 pm

If it turns out to be an incredibly stupid idea, it will eventually be changed as long as the media gets involved.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:42 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:18 pm
Summary points:

The primary role of bishops is to care for young men and young women.

Bishoprics will preside over the Aaronic Priesthood and ward Young Men presidencies will be discontinued.

Ward Young Women presidents will report directly to the bishop.
I have never been a bishop. I have been a counselor, an executive secretary, and various clerks. No matter what they say, they primary role of a bishop in our area is to distribute fast offerings. That will take up the vast majority of his time regardless of other things the Q12 say should be his priority. They do not know what it is like to be a bishop is a less affluent area with few members.