Harold Bloom Dies

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Apologeticsislying

Harold Bloom Dies

Post by Apologeticsislying » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:10 am

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... 02019_has/

I remember his book "The American Religion" and how thrilled I was as an apologist to finally have someone none Mormon who defended Mormonism, and I was more than positive this was going to put Mormonism on the map with several millions of converts.....I mean, ya gotta love the youthful naivete eh?
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

RubinHighlander

Re: Harold Bloom Dies

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:57 am

I think PBS also did a series or at least one program that was based on this book? It was also very kind to the church, skipped over lots of the controversial stuff. Makes me wonder if they helped finance it or provided a significant donation.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

A New Name

Post by A New Name » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:13 pm

Was he the guy that predicted the church would have 250 million members by 2020?

Apologeticsislying

Post by Apologeticsislying » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:38 pm

A New Name wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:13 pm
Was he the guy that predicted the church would have 250 million members by 2020?
Yeah, well, hey, it's sorta close, could we call him an almost prophet?
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:49 am

He also did an op-ed in the NYT when Romney was running for president. In it he explained what "the American religion" is. The emancipation of greed. Fits corporate Mormonism very well.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born