The Cosmological Conundrum

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Palerider

Re: The Cosmological Conundrum

Post by Palerider » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:20 pm

Emower wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:09 am
the Bible is true and perfect because the god says it is in the Bible.
Hmmm.....

Not sure the Bible says that. Do you have an example?
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Emower

Re: The Cosmological Conundrum

Post by Emower » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:49 pm

Palerider wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:20 pm
Emower wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:09 am
the Bible is true and perfect because the god says it is in the Bible.
Hmmm.....

Not sure the Bible says that. Do you have an example?
Well, before I start tossing out scriptures and we get into a discussion I should clarify a few things. I said biblical belief is circular, what I meant was that her belief was circular, not all biblical belief, and that the words were her words. And what we were talking about was biblical inerrancy.

I would be interested to know your thoughts on this, palerider, because you likely know more about evangelical attitudes towards it than me. But biblical inerrancy has always struck me as circular. The mainstream christian argument is that God cannot err, the bible is God's word ,thus the bible cannot err. If we rely on the bible to inform us of God, how is this not circular? There is psalm 119 which states the sum of Gods word is truth. The bible also states multiple times that it is the word of God.