Question for Apologeticsislying

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Question for Apologeticsislying

Post by Hagoth » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:50 pm

Kerry,

I hope you don't mind me using your real name, since you have already unveiled yourself. If that's a problem please let me know.

I think everyone here would be fascinated to hear a little bit about your history and perspective change, considering how deep into apologetics you were as a founder of FAIR.

Would you mind giving us a brief recap of your intellectual journey in regards to Mormonism?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Apologeticsislying

Re: Question for Apologeticsislying

Post by Apologeticsislying » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:53 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:50 pm
Kerry,

I hope you don't mind me using your real name, since you have already unveiled yourself. If that's a problem please let me know.

I think everyone here would be fascinated to hear a little bit about your history and perspective change, considering how deep into apologetics you were as a founder of FAIR.

Would you mind giving us a brief recap of your intellectual journey in regards to Mormonism?
Nope it's all good. I will gather some thoughts and probably share tomorrow, or later tonight. The journey isn't over, in some ways, truly, it has only begun. Especially as I am looking at the East more seriously than before when I was an apologist. I suspect, as a sort of teaser I can say I was raised with almost a literalist, fundamentalist sort of view in regards to the scriptures, prophets, meaning, etc. If it wasn't talked about by the GA's, or in the scriptures, it wasn't worth knowing. My dad did me a real disservice by encouraging me to keep my thinking within the bounds Mormonism demonstrated through the General Conferences.
On the other hand, I did go to Missouri on a mission, and that sort of helped break me out. I discovered Hugh Nibley on my mission, and man my wings spread from there. I have just never landed on the pinnacle of the rock in the next to the finality of truth, I am still flying, and getting higher and further...... perhaps more so than Mormonism would be comfortable with..... I certainly no longer simply accept what is said, but ask questions and then look into things myself as I have time.
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:01 pm

Kerry's light cannot be contained in a hat, even if he places his face in it. He is a tremendous addition to NOM.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Apologeticsislying

Post by Apologeticsislying » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:39 am

Oh quit. You are being way too nice.
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-