What do you call someone who doesn't believer in Satan?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

What do you call someone who doesn't believer in Satan?

Post by Hagoth » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:55 am

It pretty much goes without saying that an atheist doesn't believe in the devil either. But what do you call yourself if you want to emphasize a non-belief in Satan regardless of the possibility of God/gods?

An adiabolist?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

alas

Re: What do you call someone who doesn't believer in Satan?

Post by alas » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:39 pm

Sensible?

Apologeticsislying

Post by Apologeticsislying » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:49 pm

Lol! Well, in one sense sure. But through the lens of the mythological thinking, and perhaps in some aspects of the East, all the gods and devils, all the heavens and hells are in us. The point of the stories, the scriptures, whatever you want to call em, is to get us to have a psychological break through. To experience reality, not talk about it. And when we have people who crack up, they haven't been able to integrate their own psychology to their experience. In the East it isn't belief that is important or emphasized, as in a relationship to God. It is a psychological awakening that you are God. Hay if nuthin else it most certainly is fascinating to glance at periodically....it's what I've been doing this last year and Im havin a ball with it all at this point.
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

alas

Post by alas » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:47 pm

Apologeticsislying wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:49 pm
Lol! Well, in one sense sure. But through the lens of the mythological thinking, and perhaps in some aspects of the East, all the gods and devils, all the heavens and hells are in us. The point of the stories, the scriptures, whatever you want to call em, is to get us to have a psychological break through. To experience reality, not talk about it. And when we have people who crack up, they haven't been able to integrate their own psychology to their experience. In the East it isn't belief that is important or emphasized, as in a relationship to God. It is a psychological awakening that you are God. Hay if nuthin else it most certainly is fascinating to glance at periodically....it's what I've been doing this last year and Im havin a ball with it all at this point.
I thought the question Hagoth asked was about an external Satan, not the one I carry in my heart that...well never mind what that one tells me. The whole idea that there is somebody outside of ourselves trying to get us to do bad stuff is the worst kind of psychological cop out. “It’s not my fault, Satan made me do it.” Bah. It is even more your fault for listening to bad people and not being responsible for your own choices.

So, maybe someone who doesn’t use the “Satan made me do it!” cop out is “Responsible” as in taking responsibility for their own bad choices.

I believe in God, an external God as well as the God within each of us, as well as the God in rocks, rivers, and trees.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:20 pm

I don’t believe in Satan.
~2bizE

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:31 pm

A rational fully functional human being?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:21 am

alas wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:47 pm

I thought the question Hagoth asked was about an external Satan, not the one I carry in my heart that...well never mind what that one tells me. The whole idea that there is somebody outside of ourselves trying to get us to do bad stuff is the worst kind of psychological cop out. “It’s not my fault, Satan made me do it.” Bah. It is even more your fault for listening to bad people and not being responsible for your own choices.

So, maybe someone who doesn’t use the “Satan made me do it!” cop out is “Responsible” as in taking responsibility for their own bad choices.

I believe in God, an external God as well as the God within each of us, as well as the God in rocks, rivers, and trees.
Correct, Alas. I'm talking about the boogeyman church leaders are always talking about. The one who they they admire so much because he is able to thwart the best laid plans of God by messing with you as an individual, and by unleashing a swarm of lesser demons on you. The one my wife has been indoctrinated to think is intentionally and specifically targeting our children to try to ruin their lives because of their or our unrighteousness.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:21 am

You mean the Yin to Jesus’ Yang?

Every story needs a conflict.

I too dont believe in a boogeyman however I like the idea of Satan as the demon headed guy that tempts people to do right. Sometimes I wish he would step up his game because then Amazon packages wouldn’t get stolen from the porch, MLM’s wouldn’t exist, and baby Jesus would be the superhero instead of Iron Man.

Do we need the devil to scare people into compliance? Probably not. But he does make for great Halloween costumes ideas.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:17 pm

Oh, the scary Beelzebub...
~2bizE

sunstoned

Post by sunstoned » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:13 pm

alas wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:39 pm
Sensible?
level headed

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:02 am

So many ancient stories were written to include an ultimate villan and an ultimate hero. This literary device is still part of our modern literature, even though we have expanded to flawed protagonists who do not demand an equal counterpart.

Last night I was watching Wonder Woman with the pure hero Diana pitted against the god of war Ares. Good vs bad and Diana made the decision to help us anyway, even when she realized we were all miserable sinners. She thought our humanity was sufficient to redeem us.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha