Another big Joseph Smith blow out?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
StarbucksMom

Re: Another big Joseph Smith blow out?

Post by StarbucksMom » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:38 am

Palerider wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:38 pm
With the announcement of a conference like "never before" planned for April it seems we may be being set up for a "Let's all worship Joseph" year again. The First vision bicentennial is just an excuse maybe?

And here I thought leadership had learned their lesson years back when they stuck Joseph on the December Christmas Ensign and got a bunch of blowback. The following article gave me a bit of nausea with all of the fawning and adoration being slathered on the faux-prophet.

"In 1805 “in a very small, out of the way place, unknown to pretty much the rest of the world,” a baby boy was born.

That child would come to influence the history of the world and stand at the head of the final dispensation of the gospel — “the dispensation that will actually succeed.”

In all the world, the baby in a crib here, was the baby “that made such a huge difference,” he said."
Elder Christopherson

http://www.ldsliving.com/President-Ball ... ay/s/91804

Does anyone else get the feeling that Chrisopherson is nearly describing a Nativity scene above?

It seems to me that one of the big problems of the New Testament Pharisees was their near worship of the dead prophet Moses. And yet LDS leadership seem blind to the paralells.

The way the article title reads one would almost wonder if Ballard is channeling Joseph. Necromancy springs to mind. I think we're in for another big, big Joseph Smith year. Can't wait.....🤢🤮
Yes that does sound like the Nativity scene and I agree, cue throwing up. Seriously, if they are planning a huge JS worship event, it just shows what a bunch of literal idiots these guys are. If they want to save even a shred of the church, they need to distance themselves as far away from the JS train wreck as possible. Issue an essay/newsroom release saying they disavow past polygamy and polyandry, especially with young teens under 18. Issue official statement that BOA is nothing more than inspired fiction and remove from scriptures. And take Praise to the Man out of the hymnbook.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:07 am

StarbucksMom wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:38 am
And take Praise to the Man out of the hymnbook.
The beautiful music for this song is borrowed from an old Irish/Gaelic tune. It has forever been ruined for me.... :x

ETA: It's like trying to listen to the William Tell Overture without seeing the Lone Ranger galloping away on Silver. Can't do it....
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:53 pm

Palerider wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:07 am
StarbucksMom wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:38 am
And take Praise to the Man out of the hymnbook.
The beautiful music for this song is borrowed from an old Irish/Gaelic tune. It has forever been ruined for me.... :x
Praise to the Man can be equally set to the melody from Hail to the Chief. As a matter of fact, the next time Trump campaigns in Utah, it would be fun to do the switcheroo.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Mormon 8

Post by Mormon 8 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:27 pm

How anyone who is aware of the truth about who Joseph Smith really was can sing 'Praise to the Man' without vomiting is a mystery to me??? Even more troubling is how the church (FP & Q of the 12) can honestly and seriously be preparing a huge Joseph Smith bash event for spring conference to commemorate his multiple 'first visions' (all of which became more grandiose over time as he grew more and more popular with his status as 'prophet') is even more disturbing. Surely, they have to know who the real Joseph was and if so and they're still planning this mega worship event to celebrate the 'first vision' means few, if any of them, have any honesty or integrity at all and will say and do anything to keep members in the dark to maintain their celebrity status and financial perks galore as GA's.

w2mz

Post by w2mz » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:26 pm

Agreed, there is some kind of big JS worship conference coming. The YSA ward in our stake has been invited to participate in the music for it.
The church has engineered your eternal family into a commodity that can be purchased with an annual fee. The fact that full tithing payment is a requirement for saving ordinances is the biggest red flag imaginable. Hagoth