Hey What about Mythology, Really?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Apologeticsislying

Hey What about Mythology, Really?

Post by Apologeticsislying » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:50 pm

OK, so remember when Hugh Nibley had his good stuff (the non-apologetic stuff) put together in his collection "The Ancient State."? That was his best one, all his supposedly secular stuff that didn't have to do with scriptures directly. Well, I'm refreshing myself with it and comparing some things, and discovered his bias went way deep. His article "Three Shrines, Mantic, Sophic, and Sophistic" was one I was really impressed with years ago and am starting with that one. I remember almost memorizing "The Sparsiones" man what an idea! I tied it into a lot of stuff years ago.

What Nibley says in "Three Shrines" about the Greeks is interesting. He said compared to the Norse myths and themes, the Greeks have something. They left us with a legacy of the most fantastic tragedies, and in the end they also left us with something our world right now needs. Hope. There is something more than just brawling, drinking, conquering and sex.

Well, I think he's onto something. I've been reading the Greek tragedies this last few weeks and they are over the top amazing. The fascinating thing is I also read Joseph Campbell's book "The Mysteries" the Eranos series which is seriously over the top amazing, several of the world's top scholars got together and in serious depth described and shared what they knew about the ancient mysteries from a lot of the other civilizations. It's one of the recent papers I put on here about By What Authority Do You Know the Truth, on Ibn 'Arabi.

The Hope is that there really is more to it than this life. No it's not about organized religion. It's bigger than that man. Sincerely. So today I read Mercea Eliade "Myths, Dreams, and Mysteries" and he describes the common themes of the mysteries from a lot of the primitive people. And it is all the SAME THING. It is initiation which is a regrouping of your life onto a higher plane. But you have to die and then be reborn. The rituals all over the world describe this main same theme. And its all over the world, not just in one place, like say Greece.

So, I am looking at this in a different way than I used to even a year ago. And the really crazy thing is, this ties in with what Harrell talks about in his book, the one I am reviewing. "This is My Doctrine." I shall keep you all posted.

I'm tellin ya, there is something serious in the myths. Oh, and in the Orestian Trilogy, the only full trilogy we have from Greek antiquity, Aesychlus was accused of revealing the mysteries!!! That's a death sentence, but he got out of it by showing his involvement in the Greek and Persian wars. But he REVEALED the mysteries which not many know about if at all. The clue is in that some how, I'm telling you I am sensing something huge here.

I'll keep ya posted. Mythology and the Greeks........ there's something to this, not to mention the Egyptians. And the Orphics are also tied up in this somehow. I know that Eugene Seaich has some clues to in his outrageously fascinating book on the Jerusalem Temple Mystery and the Cherubim. The sacred marriage rites were imitating the cosmological hieros gamos, the combination of heaven and earth from our view point which is supposed to signify the unity before the One became the many.

And this ties to the East side, Vedanta especially, including Zen. Honesty. there are ties around the world. Anyway, I will keep reading and posting and boring... :D
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

alas

Re: Hey What about Mythology, Really?

Post by alas » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:59 pm

This is something I have observed before, that the death and rebirth theme is kind of universal. Even in Mormon baptism. Margaret Mead also saw this common theme. She even had a theory, But......eh. Fascinating stuff.

moksha

Re: Hey What about Mythology, Really?

Post by moksha » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:43 am

I really liked that Panspermia mythos presented in Star Trek the Next Generation of a civilization from a dying planet sending out the seeds of life to many planets. Even though this progenitor civilization perished a billion years ago, it furnished the initial material for life to evolve on those worlds. These progenitors even left a biochemical trail for future sentients to follow in order to discover their origins. Unfortunately, it was Greek to many of them.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha