Lila Tueller Interview

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
felixfabulous

Lila Tueller Interview

Post by felixfabulous » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:20 am

Want to give thanks to Consigliere for another great podcast in an interview with Lila Tueller, daughter of Hartman Rector, Jr. Fascinating story and interesting to hear details about growing up the daughter of a GA.

There was one crucial detail I thought was overlooked in this interview, I was surprised Consigliere and Bill Reel missed (no disrespect to either, they do great work) that I wanted to point out for others who listen to the interview.

Lavina Fielding Anderson published a chronicle of ecclesiastical abuse in Dialogue in 1992 that ended up getting her exed https://www.dialoguejournal.com/wp-cont ... uKpOBwcndc. In this article, she tells about why she was fired from being editor of the Ensign. She sent Peggy Fletcher Stack at Sunstone a transcript of the original conference talk (discussed in the podcast) that they compared with the published version (that had been altered). She did not think there was anything wrong with doing this, but the higher ups who fired her said she had distributed confidential material (even though it had been given as a public address). This story begins on page 15 of the article. Anyway, another interesting detail to this story.

consiglieri

Re: Lila Tueller Interview

Post by consiglieri » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:24 am

Thanks for bringing this up!

I did not know about this and want to take a look at the link you have provided!

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

Mormon 8

Post by Mormon 8 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:55 am

This sounds eerily similar to what they did back in 1984 when Ron Poelman gave an address which basically shot down any notion that the brethren are infallible where the hierarchy of the church had him re-do his address from the pulpit with key elements taken out so that his remarks were more in line with how the brethren wanted it. Real honesty and integrity.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:42 am

felixfabulous wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:20 am
Lavina Fielding Anderson published a chronicle of ecclesiastical abuse in Dialogue in 1992 that ended up getting her exed https://www.dialoguejournal.com/wp-cont ... uKpOBwcndc. In this article, she tells about why she was fired from being editor of the Ensign. She sent Peggy Fletcher Stack at Sunstone a transcript of the original conference talk (discussed in the podcast) that they compared with the published version (that had been altered). She did not think there was anything wrong with doing this, but the higher ups who fired her said she had distributed confidential material (even though it had been given as a public address). This story begins on page 15 of the article. Anyway, another interesting detail to this story.
Just to clarify, the original talk/transcript discussed in the above paragraph was a talk given my Hartman Rector Jr. in April 1981 General Conference. By the time that the talk was published in the Ensign in May 1981, it had been redacted/edited.

Apparently, if you go to the current April 1981 conference link and watch the video, it is not redacted or edited, however, the transcript published on the same page is redacted.

Link:
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... s?lang=eng
for fun, all us angry apostates will have to keep an eye on said video to see if LD$-Inc. edits it.

Still listening myself, but this one hits fairly close to home...

Edit:
Mormon 8 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:55 am
This sounds eerily similar to what they did back in 1984 when Ron Poelman gave an address which basically shot down any notion that the brethren are infallible where the hierarchy of the church had him re-do his address from the pulpit with key elements taken out so that his remarks were more in line with how the brethren wanted it. Real honesty and integrity.
Bill and RFM/Consiglieri do mention the Ron Poelman incident in the podcast FYI.

And... Another edit after finishing:

I know Consiglieri mentioned there was only 2 hours for the interview, and I myself have a hard time getting into a mindset to listen to "those other" 5-6 hour podcasts, but... I'm left wanting to hear more from Lila. Just sayin'.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:40 am

I'm halfway through and so far this interview is fascinating. A couple of things were really interesting to me. First that Rector's talks from the podium about the importance of being kind, not just following the rules, were aimed at the men sitting behind him. Second was Lila's observation that many GAs are narcissistic and that they get a huge rush from the power and worshipfulness they are awarded by members. How many times have you heard that these poor guys must be the real deal because they sacrifice so much - it's all give and no take. I think the worst nightmare for some of them would be to wake up from a dream and find that they are just a run-of-the-mill Sunday school teacher and nobody leaps to attention when they enter a room.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

græy

Post by græy » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:14 pm

LOL "That Boyd K Packer. Such a kidder!"

:lol:
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:53 pm

I also found this one fascinating. I didn't realize that these GAs traveled so much during that time and that the children were farmed out so much. But, yea, family first!

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:36 pm

I really enjoyed her interview. She is the daughter of a Mormon top player. She went through a faith crisis starting this year and has come out to her family and the world with her disaffection. I’m kind of jealous. I’ve been in a truth crisis for 4-5 years and nobody knows but my friends here on NOM.
~2bizE

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:36 pm

2bizE wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:36 pm
I really enjoyed her interview. She is the daughter of a Mormon top player. She went through a faith crisis starting this year and has come out to her family and the world with her disaffection. I’m kind of jealous. I’ve been in a truth crisis for 4-5 years and nobody knows but my friends here on NOM.
I haven’t listened to this but what kicked off her faith crisis?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

græy

Post by græy » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:26 am

2bizE wrote:
Right here with you 2bizE
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:57 am

Great podcast overall. I listened to it with Mrs. Palerider.

This podcast reminded me of a guy I met in the mission field overseas in the 1970's. I think he worked for the church and was well aquatinted with many of the GAs.

When he was overseas on church business he would always contact the local mission president to get permission to take a couple of missionaries out to a nice restaurant for dinner. So this just happened to be my lucky evening.

He regaled us with a few stories about the GAs and one in particular caught my attention. He said that on many Sundays, most if not all of the Q12 or Q15 would drive up to Maddox restaurant in Tremonton and have a big luncheon or dinner together like a bunch of muckymucks. I found that hard to believe because, of course, Mormons don't go out to eat on Sundays especially.

When I heard Lila's description of the luncheons over at the church office buildings on Sundays between conference sessions, I thought, well that confirms what I heard all those years ago when I was a missionary.

I think that little tradition had been going on for a long time until Hinkley finally put a stop to it. Goes to show that the "commandments" are really just for the little people.

The other interesting thing about this guy who seemed to be a genuinely nice person was that he was in his 70's and had never married. I wondered why aloud and he answered that he guessed he had "just never met the woman he couldn't live without." 🤔
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:42 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:36 pm
2bizE wrote:
Sounds like she had some issues with polygamy from way back when and then someone introduced her to some problems asking her for answers to them... she was actually willing to take a listen to some podcasts and then it was down the rabbit hole.

This was a *great* podcast - finally got a chance to listen to it and I absolutely wanted more at the end... it felt like just when we got to the core of the faith crisis time was up. Hopefully a follow-up might happen at a future time.

Great podcast though - highly recommend it to anyone on here who is interested!

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:41 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:36 pm
2bizE wrote:
Reading the Essays really started it all for her.
~2bizE