Is #DezNat a Thing? Am I living under a rock?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Not Buying It

Is #DezNat a Thing? Am I living under a rock?

Post by Not Buying It » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:44 am

Is #DezNat a thing? Am I living under a rock? Why haven’t I heard of this before? If there really are people participating in this, that’s pretty horrible.

See this link: https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-cult- ... -community
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Just This Guy

Re: Is #DezNat a Thing? Am I living under a rock?

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:06 am

I only head about this a few weeks ago. Of course, out on the East Coast, word of this stuff can take a while to reach us.

Yup, Mormonism has it's own white nationals.

We need a barfing emoji.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Apologeticsislying

Post by Apologeticsislying » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:07 am

The bizarre cult of Deznet concerning the bizarre cult of Mormonism......imagine that..... :lol:
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:19 am

Never heard of it. But then I never look at Twitter.
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:01 am

1smartdodog wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:19 am
Never heard of it. But then I never look at Twitter.

Same here.

But isn't it interesting how a semi-cult can give birth to extremists like those mentioned. These guys are drinking high octane koolaide in a big, big way. They don't ask questions of their leadership. They just do whatever they are "commanded".

Have ANY of these guys EVER heard of Mountain Meadows???? :shock:
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:16 am

Oh Jebuz H!

Ya know, it doesn't really surprise me if it is real. After reading the book "Under the Banner of Heaven" about all the polygamist groups and extreme fundamentalists that have broken off TSCC over the years, it's obvious that the god chosen super specialness narrative plays in the heads of a few folks who really get off on that dogma. Some who full on buy into it and some who use it to control others to get to positions of power and fight against currently established institutions. Ever watch the series Handmaid's Tale on Hulu? I think that's a possibility if right-wing evangelical extremist or other extremist keep gaining momentum by weaponizing issues like abortion, gay marriage, etc. Look at how easy is was to invoke major influence over folks in this country with all the social media instruments available.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:17 am

I forgot to mention that if the church even wants to pretend that it is what it claims to be, church leadership will publicly disavow these guys, telling them to repent and tamp this movement down in no uncertain terms.

Of course the more strident actors would see that as a "necessity" done for public consumption and a green light to continue their agenda.

So the secret committee that supposedly protects the membership would need to treat these guys exactly as they do Apostates and start hunting them down for excommunication.

MmmHmm...... :oops:
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:17 pm

You know, that Deseret Nation stuff with its combination of salutes, goose-stepping, CTR rings, and lime green Jell-O molds is just kooky enough to catch on big time in central and southern Utah.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Sheamus Moore

Post by Sheamus Moore » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:33 pm

Oh, so this isn’t part of Rusty’s new Youth Battalion...?

græy

Post by græy » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:29 am

Sheamus Moore wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:33 pm
Oh, so this isn’t part of Rusty’s new Youth Battalion...?
When your youth are all drafted into the Youth Battalion, and their leaders are all "officers" leading them into battle against "the adversary", a militaristic #deznat is the inevitable next step.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Sheamus Moore

Post by Sheamus Moore » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:39 am

Sieg Heil! ;)

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:48 am

DezNat is what happens when really paranoid, racist, homophobic people find each other on social media and feel emboldened that they are not alone.

They are truly terrible people and I wish that the church would give them a platform because the stuff they post online is not just incorrect, but beyond offensive.

I've had them reply to my personal Twitter once when I commented on a story about Mormonism... they didn't think I had any idea about church history so they all ganged up on me and then took it to another level when I could reply with actual facts at them.

Awful, awful little trolls of Mormonism.

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:06 pm

“A man who has wisdom to control one wife and five children can control ten wives and one hundred children; then he can control a town, a city, a state, a nation, a kingdom, or the whole world.”
— Brigham Young #DezNat
The eternal progression of Mormonism.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:02 pm

moksha wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:06 pm
“A man who has wisdom to control one wife and five children can control ten wives and one hundred children; then he can control a town, a city, a state, a nation, a kingdom, or the whole world.”
— Brigham Young #DezNat
The eternal progression of Mormonism.
And yet, they are still less than a half of a percent of the world's population and they lost their polygamy practice, giving into the feds. So much for Brigham's or JS' vision.

“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:48 pm

Think there needs to be a few zeros added to that 0.02%

The Church can now send missionaries to Cuba. Soon Mission Leaders will be able to bring home gold fillings and Cuban cigars in their mission pouch.
-- Moksha