Mormon guy's adoption scheme...again

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Palerider

Mormon guy's adoption scheme...again

Post by Palerider » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:34 pm

I'm glad the church has denounced this scheme. That's awfully brave of them.

https://5newsonline.com/2019/11/11/morm ... on-scheme/

So, having read this latest article on the Arizona Mormon who set up this adoption scheme, I was puzzled by a couple of comments from Elder Rasband. When asked to comment on the case:

1. Rasband said, "Being a Latter Day Saint doesn't exhonerate him."

2. He also said, "The church will be reviewing his membership as soon as his trial is over."

I don't understand why Rasband would say his being a Latter-day Saint "doesn't exhonerate him." That seems like a really odd statement of the obvious. I mean, how could it exhonerate him? To me his membership is irrelevant. So why even bring it up as a possibility of being exculpatory? Do I go too far in saying that this statement sounds kind of.....stupid?

Or is he subliminally implying that in some cases being a Latter-day Saint can put one above the law?

The other thing I find interesting is that I thought the Q15 wanted to maintain that all these matters were handled on a "local basis". So why is an Apostle stating that "the church" is going to be reviewing this guy's membership after his trial is over? Isn't that up to his Bishop and SP???

Did Rasberryband just inadvertently tip his hand here?
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Anon70

Re: Mormon guy's adoption scheme...again

Post by Anon70 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:05 am

I had the same reaction to #2. Felt like a gotcha moment. I also found it odd that he even commented. Don’t the GAs keep quiet until told to speak up? Isn’t the MO to let the official church spokesman make the comment?

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:20 am

Palerider wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:34 pm
Or is he subliminally implying that in some cases being a Latter-day Saint can put one above the law?
Being LDS (and Republican) has not only helped a couple of criminal Attorney Generals escape jail time but ultimately netted them remuneration from the State of Utah. Elder Rasband's comment was meant for the judge and jury of Mr. Peterson's trial. They will follow what a General Authority tells them.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:13 am

Anon70 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:05 am
I had the same reaction to #2. Felt like a gotcha moment. I also found it odd that he even commented. Don’t the GAs keep quiet until told to speak up? Isn’t the MO to let the official church spokesman make the comment?
I have a strong testimony that Elder Rasband was moved upon the spirit of Kirton McConkie and provided with the most appropriate statement to make before the unbelieving press.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:56 am

Palerider wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:34 pm
Did Rasberryband just inadvertently tip his hand here?
I think he is unquestioningly tipping his hat. He is displaying a mode of thinking that is common to Mormons (and, I suppose, to any fundamentalist in-group). There are basically two kinds of people: Mormons (the Good Ones) and non-Mormons (a mixed bag of Bad Ones and potentially Good Ones, assuming they eventually become actual Good Ones). Just think how often LDS people speak of others as Members or Non-Members, as in "he's a non-member, but he's still a pretty decent guy."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:36 pm

Here are some excellent articles from a crack investigative unit in Hawaii on the scope of this problem. Peterson is mentioned numerous times. Baby selling is apparently a very lucrative business.

https://www.civilbeat.org/2018/11/why-a ... -worked-2/

https://www.civilbeat.org/2018/11/marsh ... e-lawyers/

https://d1l18ops95qbzp.cloudfront.net/w ... _1998_.jpg
The last story shows how this baby-selling business grew straight out of his mission to the Marshall Islands.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Fifi de la Vergne

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:52 pm

moksha wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:36 pm
Here are some excellent articles from a crack investigative unit in Hawaii on the scope of this problem. Peterson is mentioned numerous times. Baby selling is apparently a very lucrative business.

https://www.civilbeat.org/2018/11/why-a ... -worked-2/

https://www.civilbeat.org/2018/11/marsh ... e-lawyers/

https://d1l18ops95qbzp.cloudfront.net/w ... _1998_.jpg
The last story shows how this baby-selling business grew straight out of his mission to the Marshall Islands.
I'm curious if anyone has more information about the Matt Long mentioned in the last article. I had heard that Matt Long of Infants on Thrones was Peterson's attorney. I had not heard, as is apparently the case, that he and Peterson were mission companions in the Marshall Islands and that Long was also involved in the adoptions. Anybody know?
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:02 pm

Corsair wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:13 am
Anon70 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:05 am
I have a strong testimony that Elder Rasband was moved upon the spirit of Kirton McConkie and provided with the most appropriate statement to make before the unbelieving press.
I felt the spirit when I read your testimony.