The Covenant Path

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

The Covenant Path

Post by Hagoth » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:07 am

This is a trend I have noticed in conference talks over the last couple of years. It seems to come primarily from Oaks, Bednar, and Nelson. Whenever they are telling you something that requires obedience to THEM, more than to your personal morals, the scriptures, the teachings of Jesus, or even the teachings of Joseph Smith, may his name be blessed, they will warn you about straying from the covenant path, implying that questioning them is tantamount to breaking your covenants and risking your eternal salvation.

This tactic always and particularly seems to be used when they talk about LGBT+ people or same-sex marriage. Mrs. Hagoth was listening to the Women's Conference and Oaks gave a horrific talk about homosexuality and transgender. He made a big point about how we should love people so inflicted then threw in the Covenant Path as, I believe, a dog whistle as a reminder of his previous talk in which he detailed specific ways of shunning your gay loved ones. And then, after saying all of those nice things he made sure to wrap it up one last jab at our "friends and family who are currently influenced by worldly priorities and devilish distortions."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Thoughtful

Re: The Covenant Path

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:17 pm

Yep but Im not so sure Genx and later falls for the idea we covenanted something we didn't. My mom and MIL are certain garments are a covenant. People my age and younger say its an instruction with some variability based on individual circumstances.

Oaks et al are primo douchebags.

What I find interesting is how they do the same crap different day and think no one will notice. Ballard saying scouts left the church when very recent history says otherwise, and yet they can't figure out that people see clearly how stupid they all are.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:36 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:17 pm
... people see clearly how stupid they all are.
Except for those people who they have the most influence over.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:49 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:07 am
This is a trend I have noticed in conference talks over the last couple of years. It seems to come primarily from Oaks, Bednar, and Nelson. Whenever they are telling you something that requires obedience to THEM, more than to your personal morals, the scriptures, the teachings of Jesus, or even the teachings of Joseph Smith, may his name be blessed, they will warn you about straying from the covenant path, implying that questioning them is tantamount to breaking your covenants and risking your eternal salvation.

This tactic always and particularly seems to be used when they talk about LGBT+ people or same-sex marriage. Mrs. Hagoth was listening to the Women's Conference and Oaks gave a horrific talk about homosexuality and transgender. He made a big point about how we should love people so inflicted then threw in the Covenant Path as, I believe, a dog whistle as a reminder of his previous talk in which he detailed specific ways of shunning your gay loved ones. And then, after saying all of those nice things he made sure to wrap it up one last jab at our "friends and family who are currently influenced by worldly priorities and devilish distortions."
The idea that obeying a man is the only way to get back to God is ludicrous. I hope lots of people look at how many times our leaders have gotten basic things wrong. Current "doctrines" regarding sexuality and gender will hold up as well as previous "doctrines" regarding race and family structure. It has been pointed out that, in the current church, the only real doctrine is to obey the Q15. This doctrine is also worthless. Oaks has admitted that he can only talk about the general rules. He does not have time to discuss exceptions. But there is no such things as an average person who always fits the generalizations that we have created. Every single person will be an exception in various areas of their life and unable to follow the general counsel given in conference or other outlets. What is a prophet worth, then? We are all dependent on our own judgement and understanding. Trusting the GA's is like leaning on a broken reed, as Isaiah would say.